wtf????? he can live...

did yall just miss the part where a friend of mine has gone thru this twice? and is living and doing well.....normally in the medical field the use of 95% is about as good as saying 100% you dont hear that term till you are dying...o we are 100% you are terminal....

kids make decisions for 13 yr old all the damn time....when to come in...when to do this and that....i didnt let my 13 decide to drink or have sex at 13...i sure the fuck am not allowing him to die at 14 cause chemo is tough....tough love

Wow. I thought Ravi would be the one who came forward and would insist that the state step in if the kid didn't decide the "right" way. Whatever that is.

"Right way"? Don't you mean life or death? Because that's what it boils down to. Treatment means life; no treatment means death. I'm all for parent's rights and religious beliefs and all that. What I am against is blatant stupidity.

Then you must oppose abortion as well, since it's a matter of life or death.

Except in special circumstances, I am against abortion also.

Because abuse and neglect laws require that parents protect their children. Their children do not have the power to make decisions for themselves. In the face of parents who neglect their basic needs, the child has the right to have his or her voice heard and have a judge intervene TO SAVE HIS LIFE.

If it was HIM making the decision to die, that would be one thing. But these people are making that decision for him.

This is exactly right, while parents have the legal right to make decisions for their children, they must do so in good faith for the best interest of the child. If they're not doing that then they're guilty of nothing less than child abuse or neglect. The courts job is to consider these matters.

Sure. So the court forces him to undergo painful chemo treatment and he dies anyway. So it wouldn't have made any difference if the parents had had their way, except he wouldn't have had to suffer through poison being injected into him regularly.

Treatment means a one in ten chance that he will die. Pretty good odds for living a long normal life to me, don't you think? On the other hand, no treatment gives him a nineteen out of twenty chance to die. Sorry, but your argument is not based on reality. Now if his chance of living was only five or ten percent, then your argument would have merit. But with the odds being so positive toward him not only surviving, but living a normal life, this argument has become silly.

All I know is if my 13 yo daughter had cancer, I would fight tooth and nail to get her the most effective treatment out there so she could have a chance to grow up.

A dear friend of mine is going through chemo right now, and no, it's not pretty. It's painful and her hair and eyelashes have fallen out. But she's fighting for her life so she can raise her 2 year old son, and maybe one day have another child with her loving husband.

Do you think if the chemo works, and this boy gets to grow up into adulthood like we all did, the parents are going to be pissed that the judge made them get chemo for him?

Probably.

EXACTLY. Not only that, there are no definites here. He might undergo chemo and STILL die, and miserably.

People have the right to choose what sort of treatment they want for themselves and their children (provided it isn't something like injecting cyanide...which is essentially what chemo is). When the government starts dictating our medical treatment, we will be in very, very serious trouble.

So at what age does the child get to make the decision or at least an informed decision. This child is 13. I wonder if the child is okay with dying at such a young age.

I think when I was thirteen I would have had a strong opinion about if I wanted to live, the article also said I believe it was all of their decsion but who really knows.
Even though I would not take that route it is their choice.
I have two relatives that beat the same kind of cancer with chemo.

If this family was Muslim and cited religous beliefs as a reason not to have chemo done would there still be an arrest warrant for the Mom???? Doubtful.

If this family was Muslim and cited religous beliefs as a reason not to have chemo done would there still be an arrest warrant for the Mom???? Doubtful.

WESTON, Wis. — Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.

An autopsy showed Madeline Neumann died Sunday from diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that left too little insulin in her body, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said.

She had probably been ill for about a month, suffering symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness, the chief said Wednesday, noting that he expects to complete the investigation by Friday and forward the results to the district attorney.

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said the family believes in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but she said they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.

You think so? Why Muslims? They do it to ALL religions it seems, eh?

http://www.vitabeat.com/police-inve...-pray-for-girl-who-died-from-diabetes/v/8204/

I think we're forgetting... intentionally or unintentionally (depending on your personal opinion on the matter)... that the parents are not rejecting any type of treatment for their son. They're refusing chemotherapy, choosing instead less conventional and more natural treatment.

I don't know that I agree with their decision. I do know that I support their parental right to make it. I have to support it lest I look toward a future wherein the government takes my children at birth and raises them.

Think I'll re-watch Logan's Run and get another look at the carousel before I find myself being led to it.

Forum List

Back