WTF?? 4700-ton cargo ship just disappears?

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Stuff like this scares me more than wars and deficits because it defies all known possibility.

PARIS, Aug. 13 -- The Arctic Sea, a 4,700-ton cargo ship registered in Malta, owned by Russians and crewed by 15 Siberian sailors, dropped off the map shortly after it cleared the English Channel and nosed into the broad Atlantic.

That was two weeks ago.

Europe's governments, maritime authorities and navies have since been wondering how a ship equipped with modern navigation devices, a tracking beacon and radio communications could have disappeared so suddenly and remained out of touch so long in one of the world's busiest and most monitored shipping lanes.

Read story here:
washingtonpost.com

Rogue wave. The Munchen a far larger ship than that went down with all hands sometime back at little North of there. They got time for one quick distress call. Go to Dioscovery channel and check out killer waves.

Rogue wave. The Munchen a far larger ship than that went down with all hands sometime back at little North of there. They got time for one quick distress call. Go to Dioscovery channel and check out killer waves.

I did happen to catch that. Scary stuff. As I recall they couldn't figure out exactly what caused them either.

Another thing out of chaos theory Maggie. Some such waves are caused because the local current runs run way and the prevailing wind another. That is the situation on the South East coast of Africa.

However there is another entire class that occurs because during prolonged storms waves will occassionally become unstable and start stealing energy from their neighbors and go from sixty foot trouble makers to 90 foot monsters that can hole a ship if they hbit it broad side or swamp it if it hits it head on under the right circumstances.

Another thing out of chaos theory Maggie. Some such waves are caused because the local current runs run way and the prevailing wind another. That is the situation on the South East coast of Africa.

However there is another entire class that occurs because during prolonged storms waves will occassionally become unstable and start stealing energy from their neighbors and go from sixty foot trouble makers to 90 foot monsters that can hole a ship if they hbit it broad side or swamp it if it hits it head on under the right circumstances.

I think there's much beneath the sea that scientists yet know nothing about. It's fascinating and mysterious and probably holds the key to survival of our species on dry land.

Oh I think there is a hell of a lot we can learn from the study of the ocean especially the deep ocean about which we know less than we do about the moon. Do I think any of it is vital to our survival? No.
Things that could be vital to our survival in the near term would be figuring out how to defuse a super volcano, getting a handle on the location of all NEO's and their orbits. etc.;)

This shouldn't however to be taken to mean that I am against scientific study of everything about this planet and the universe it occupies.

Oh I think there is a hell of a lot we can learn from the study of the ocean especially the deep ocean about which we know less than we do about the moon. Do I think any of it is vital to our survival? No.
Things that could be vital to our survival in the near term would be figuring out how to defuse a super volcano, getting a handle on the location of all NEO's and their orbits. etc.;)

This shouldn't however to be taken to mean that I am against scientific study of everything about this planet and the universe it occupies.

I think future civilizations will get a majority of their food supply from the oceans as well as medicines and of course energy. Scientists are even now trying to figure out how to use the geothermal heat of the earth's core for unending energy supplies. (I subscribe to Discover Magazine too!) The possibilities are mind-boggling.

We already do! Just watched an episode on the Science Channel 'Science of the Deep' detailing research on deep sea sponges that seem to be producing a lot of medicinals. Theya re now trying ot figure out a way to aquaculture them to bring down the price.

I think there's much beneath the sea that scientists yet know nothing about. It's fascinating and mysterious and probably holds the key to survival of our species on dry land.
I too. When we manage to kill off every living thing on the face of the earth, there will likely be thousands of species left living in the depths. There are some strange animals living miles beneath MSL.

Do you read Rachel Carson?

I too. When we manage to kill off every living thing on the face of the earth, there will likely be thousands of species left living in the depths. There are some strange animals living miles beneath MSL.

Do you read Rachel Carson?

I'd never heard of her 'till now, but she looks like a real environmental pionneer.

Forum List

Back