WTF--4-Year-Old Mich. Boy Drives Mother's Car

Johnney

Dec 9, 2003
IOWA
link

SAND LAKE, Mich. - A boy drove his mother's car to a video store in the middle of the night, police said — and he's all of 4 years old.

Video Four-Year-Old Drives Mom's Car to Video Store
(AP Video)

Even though he was unable to reach the accelerator, the boy managed to put the car in gear and the idling engine provided enough power to take him slowly to the store, a quarter-mile from his home, about 1:30 a.m. Friday, Police Chief Doug Heugel said. Finding the store closed, the youngster began a slow trip home.

Weaving and with its headlights off, the car got the attention of police Sgt. Jay Osga, who initially thought he was following a driverless car that had taken off after being left running at a gas pump.

The car turned into the boy's apartment complex and struck two parked cars, then backed up and struck Osga's police car.

That's when Osga discovered the boy inside.

"He knew how to go from forward to reverse," Osga said Monday. "The mother said she taught him how to drive by letting him sit on her lap and steer."

No charges will be filed against the boy or his mother, Heugel said.

"He's 4 years old. His mom didn't even know he was up," Heugel told The Grand Rapids Press. "I don't think he even realizes what he did."

no charges files yet?? what was the little booger eater doing up at that time of night?

Johnney said:
no charges files yet?? what was the little booger eater doing up at that time of night?
I'm trying to figure out what mother doesn't know when her child stirs.

Joz said:
the article doesnt state this, but are we supposed to infer that he started it too? or is leaving the vehicles running at night something they do in MI?

Johnney said:
the article doesnt state this, but are we supposed to infer that he started it too? or is leaving the vehicles running at night something they do in MI?
Ignitions are sometimes a bit difficult to turn. Maybe he hot-wired it!

Joz said:
Ignitions are sometimes a bit difficult to turn. Maybe he hot-wired it!
could very well be! you never know what they are teaching our kids now days :flameth:

Johnney said:

I was thinking the same thing!!! How does a 4 yr old know how to start a car??? :confused:

I hope the mom is more carefull about where she throws her keys now..

Besides hiding the keys, looks like mommy needs to put some latches on the topside of the door that he can't reach - or maybe even some padlocks for this particular kid! What else will this nightowl do? Pretty smart kid. Lucky he didn't get hurt.

ScreamingEagle said:
Besides hiding the keys, looks like mommy needs to put some latches on the topside of the door that he can't reach - or maybe even some padlocks for this particular kid! What else will this nightowl do? Pretty smart kid. Lucky he didn't get hurt.

How did he see to drive? I have trouble with that and I'm about 5'.

Kathianne said:
You're kidding?! I tho't you'd be about 5'9" or 5'10".

Kathianne said:

Wow your head probably doesnt even come up to my chest. how weird...

Wow your head probably doesnt even come up to my chest. how weird...

It's so unfair! My brother is 6'2" and my dad 6'1". My mom was 5'4". I'm the only real shorty. :boohoo:

Most of the 8th graders tower over me, I get even saying the short girls are my favs! :dance:

A sleeping one. And what mother in a million would ever think that her four year old would decide to go tooling around in the middle of the night?

And now I have to ask: where was the DAD? Why didn't HE know his little angel was creeping about with plans of GTA? Why is it always mom's responsibility to make sure the little ankle biters up to no good? :bsflag:

MoltenLava said:
A sleeping one. And what mother in a million would ever think that her four year old would decide to go tooling around in the middle of the night?

And now I have to ask: where was the DAD? Why didn't HE know his little angel was creeping about with plans of GTA? Why is it always mom's responsibility to make sure the little ankle biters up to no good? :bsflag:

agreed----It's unfair to immediately blame the mom

GMTA!!! :arabia: :cow: (I just put that last smilie in to see if it was bigger and what it was doing with it's nose.)

MoltenLava said:

probably because the article didnt make mention of him.
when i was younger my mom and dad could here a mouse fart in a wind. and arent keys supposed to be put up with like... say lighters and matches?

Forum List

Back