WSJ makes a correction to Karl Rove article

The "I hope" changes the meaning, indicating that Clinton now believes that Obama's decision was correct. Rove's original incorrect quote implied that Clinton believes that was the choice he would have made without the benefit of hindsight. Given that Rove's whole point regards how difficult the decision was, this nearly reverses the original meaning.

Still, as dishonest as it was, it seems to fit in well with the column as a whole. Perhaps Rove's greatest absurdity is that Jimmy Carter faced a weaker overall economy than Obama: he did not. Rove incorrectly concludes from the overall number of American jobs (in a time period that covers part of the economic crisis prior to the Stimulus) that the Stimulus did not created jobs. Where Obama criticizes his opponents for wanting to "let [the auto industry] go" Rove incorrectly interprets this as suggesting that bankruptcy was not an option (it was a bad option). Rove without explanation attributes certain promises regarding health care to Obama and calls them untrue. Rove's misleading phrasing also suggests that Iranian pursuit of nuclear power is a positive act of Obama's.

Rove's basic point, that Obama's video was slanted and played loosely with the truth, is certainly correct. However, Rove's column is much worse in this regard.

I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of "I hope" reflects on Obama as much as it would have reflected on Clinton.

Most people just aren't going to pick up on that subtle of a nuance.

You are wrong. The inclusion of the words accurately describes what Clinton said. He was clearly praising Obama for the decision. Excluding them as Rove did leaves one with the impression that Clinton did not think much of Obama's decision.

This is not the first time they've done this either. Romney put out an ad where Obama was saying "We don't want to talk about the economy..because if we do..we will lose". He forgot the include the part where he was quoting a McCain campaign advisor.

I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of "I hope" reflects on Obama as much as it would have reflected on Clinton.

Most people just aren't going to pick up on that subtle of a nuance.

You are wrong. The inclusion of the words accurately describes what Clinton said. He was clearly praising Obama for the decision. Excluding them as Rove did leaves one with the impression that Clinton did not think much of Obama's decision.

Neither. Rove quotes it to show any chief exec would have made the same decision. The addtional words really don't change that.
As for the killing of Osama bin Laden, Mr. Obama did what virtually any commander in chief would have done in the same situation

You are not intelligent enough to understand.......or you are but admitting it causes you discomfort.

Yea Georgeie Bush and Tora Bora mountian. Bush sure went after Osama real hard once they figured out where he was.

Except he didn't go after Osama.

Maybe some of you would like to rethink your position that ANY president would have done what Obama did.

Any President other than George Bush.

More than likely, Rove was one of the "advisers" telling Bush not to go after Osama when he was holed up in Tora Bora.

Something about how Rove and Company needed Osama alive to be the boogie man for a longer period. Or maybe Rove and Cheney promised Osama's family in Saudi that us Americans wouldn't really try and kill their son.

Who really knows with the fooking liars of the Bush adminastration.

Neither. Rove quotes it to show any chief exec would have made the same decision. The addtional words really don't change that.
As for the killing of Osama bin Laden, Mr. Obama did what virtually any commander in chief would have done in the same situation

You are not intelligent enough to understand.......or you are but admitting it causes you discomfort.

Translation: HE's right but I better throw an ad hom so I don't look like an idiot.
neg repped for stupidity

Translation: HE's right but I better throw an ad hom so I don't look like an idiot.
neg repped for stupidity

Dude. You are not right. Leaving out the words alters the meaning completely. Do you need some of your "friends" here to explain it to you? Maybe one or two will break character and educate you.

Something to think about: Why did the WSJ even consider making the point?

And...the only thing more lame than actually giving someone "neg rep" is announcing it like that. Really, really lame. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were the type of dummy who'd support Perry.

Maddow pointed out that the Narrative that Willard Mitt Romney is putting out there is a complete lie. Romney's lied on several occasions and has never made any corrections. He also contradicts himself constantly. Add Rove into the mix..who has a habit of going after people's strengths and it's a dangerous combination.

That's because the right has NOTHING to run on. They can't run against President Obama's actual record so they make shit up. They can't run on their own record so they make shit up. Welcome to the election cycle.

Maddow pointed out that the Narrative that Willard Mitt Romney is putting out there is a complete lie. Romney's lied on several occasions and has never made any corrections. He also contradicts himself constantly. Add Rove into the mix..who has a habit of going after people's strengths and it's a dangerous combination.

That's because the right has NOTHING to run on. They can't run against President Obama's actual record so they make shit up. They can't run on their own record so they make shit up. Welcome to the election cycle.

Obama;s record: Record deficit, record downgrade, record unemployment, record food stamps.
No need to make anything up. Reality is bad enough.

What choice did the President have with OBL.
There wasn't any.
To make the claim that the President made a historic choice in the matter is ludicrous.

You're right.

That's what we all said about George W. Bush. He really had no choice but to go after the guy who masterminded the mass murder of more than 3000 Americans.

We all believed that, right up until he declared an illegal war on an uninvolved country that cost us trillions of dollars and thousands more deaths.

What choice did the President have with OBL.
There wasn't any.
To make the claim that the President made a historic choice in the matter is ludicrous.

You're right.

That's what we all said about George W. Bush. He really had no choice but to go after the guy who masterminded the mass murder of more than 3000 Americans.

We all believed that, right up until he declared an illegal war on an uninvolved country that cost us trillions of dollars and thousands more deaths.

How was the invasion of Iraq, which was authorized by the U.S. Congress, illegal?

Or, are you just that fucking stupid.

There.

I quoted you..

Is it an accurate statement of the quote you used..in the proper context?

LOL Poor Rabbi, he's so invested in partisan politics he can't fathom the obvious: Rove is a liar.

Which part did he lie about? Take your head out of Nancy Pelosi's ass long enough to read the piece.

There are lies of commission and lies of omission - Rove lied, that's obvious to everyone but you, apparently. BTW, I watched on PBS the other night The Genius of Apes; I highly recommend it. It will repeat, watch it and you might understand why I bring this up to you.

LOL Poor Rabbi, he's so invested in partisan politics he can't fathom the obvious: Rove is a liar.

Which part did he lie about? Take your head out of Nancy Pelosi's ass long enough to read the piece.

There are lies of commission and lies of omission - Rove lied, that's obvious to everyone but you, apparently. BTW, I watched on PBS the other night The Genius of Apes; I highly recommend it. It will repeat, watch it and you might understand why I bring this up to you.

IOW he said nasty things about my hero so I'm not gonna listen.
LOL. You're a tool.

Thanks, WSJ for correcting the wording. Thanks, Rachel Maddow for calling them on it.
Rove: 'The Road We've Traveled' With Obama - WSJ.com

Editor's note: An earlier version of this column included an incomplete quote from Bill Clinton in the last paragraph.

As for the killing of Osama bin Laden, Mr. Obama did what virtually any commander in chief would have done in the same situation. Even President Bill Clinton says in the film "I hope that's the call I would have made." For this to be portrayed as the epic achievement of the first term tells you how bare the White House cupboards are.
>
As originally posted, the words "I hope" were left out.

Bare?

What the heck has Obama done so far?

Strange how a political party that really has zero achievements for the last 30 years would complain that such a remarkable president would have none. That would make him and them the same. But not only do the Republicans have no achievements, they have lots and lots of terrible disasters. Should we go down the list? Again?

When is the surgery to remove your lips from Obama's ass, again? I'll send flowers.

The "I hope" changes the meaning, indicating that Clinton now believes that Obama's decision was correct. Rove's original incorrect quote implied that Clinton believes that was the choice he would have made without the benefit of hindsight. Given that Rove's whole point regards how difficult the decision was, this nearly reverses the original meaning.

Still, as dishonest as it was, it seems to fit in well with the column as a whole. Perhaps Rove's greatest absurdity is that Jimmy Carter faced a weaker overall economy than Obama: he did not. Rove incorrectly concludes from the overall number of American jobs (in a time period that covers part of the economic crisis prior to the Stimulus) that the Stimulus did not created jobs. Where Obama criticizes his opponents for wanting to "let [the auto industry] go" Rove incorrectly interprets this as suggesting that bankruptcy was not an option (it was a bad option). Rove without explanation attributes certain promises regarding health care to Obama and calls them untrue. Rove's misleading phrasing also suggests that Iranian pursuit of nuclear power is a positive act of Obama's.

Rove's basic point, that Obama's video was slanted and played loosely with the truth, is certainly correct. However, Rove's column is much worse in this regard.

I think you are putting more weight into those two words than they deserve.

Just a quick question, if bankruptcy was a bad option, can you explain why it is the option Obama ended up using? Are you under the mistaken impression that GM and Chrysler did not go through a bankruptcy?

Rove, bush, cheney, rumsfield, wolfowitze, and only god knows how many others, walk the streets freely and we pretend to be the most moral and law abiding countries in the world. Republicans are oblivious to the fear and hate other countries feel for us and even more bizarre, they are oblivious to the fact that they and those they support created it. I think about it being 2012 and then remind myself just how stupid folks still are. Who on god's green earth would think that we would still be discussing contraception this day and age??? I can only hope that the stupids are out numbered...by a lot.

Forum List

Back