WSJ: “Is Obama Smart?”

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I’m sure most of us recall the debates about President Obama not releasing his grades, his selection to the presidency of the law review, from Harvard Law School Magna Cum Laude,...
Always an interesting, if not enlightening, debate.

Well, many will get a kick out of this WSJ piece called “Is Obama Smart

1. "I think I'm a better speech writer than my speech writers," he reportedly told an aide in 2008. "I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I'll tell you right now that I'm . . . a better political director than my political director."

2. On another occasion—at the 2004 Democratic convention—Mr. Obama explained to a Chicago Tribune reporter that "I'm LeBron, baby. I can play at this level. I got game."

3. How many times have we heard it said that Mr. Obama is the smartest president ever? Even when he's criticized, his failures are usually chalked up to his supposed brilliance. Liberals say he's too cerebral for the Beltway rough-and-tumble; conservatives often seem to think his blunders, foreign and domestic, are all part of a cunning scheme to turn the U.S. into a combination of Finland, Cuba and Saudi Arabia.

4. I don't buy it. I just think the president isn't very bright.

5. Socrates taught that wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know. Mr. Obama is perpetually intent on telling us how much he knows. Aristotle wrote that the type of intelligence most needed in politics is prudence, which in turn requires experience. Mr. Obama came to office with no experience. Plutarch warned that flattery "makes itself an obstacle and pestilence to great houses and great affairs." Today's White House, more so than any in memory, is stuffed with flatterers.

6. Much is made of the president's rhetorical gifts. This is the sort of thing that can be credited only by people who think that a command of English syntax is a mark of great intellectual distinction. Can anyone recall a memorable phrase from one of Mr. Obama's big speeches that didn't amount to cliché?

7. Then there is Mr. Obama as political tactician. He makes predictions that prove false. He makes promises he cannot honor. He raises expectations he cannot meet. He reneges on commitments made in private. He surrenders positions staked in public. He is absent from issues in which he has a duty to be involved.

8. Mr. Obama, by contrast, appears to consider himself immune from error. Perhaps this explains why he has now doubled down on Heckuva Job Geithner. It also explains his insulting and politically inept habit of suggesting—whether the issue is health care, or Arab-Israeli peace, or change we can believe in at some point in God's good time—that the fault always lies in the failure of his audiences to listen attentively. It doesn't. In politics, a failure of communication is always the fault of the communicator.

9. Stupid is as stupid does, said the great philosopher Forrest Gump. The presidency of Barack Obama is a case study in stupid does.
Stephens: Is Obama Smart? - WSJ.com

Remember this?
November 11, 2008
Historian Michael Beschloss was interviewed Monday on Don Imus’ radio show and he made the claim that President-elect Obama’s IQ is off the charts and that he is the smartest president we have ever had. Here is the meat of the conversation:
Quote:
Historian Michael Beschloss: Yeah. Even aside from the fact of electing the first African American President and whatever one’s partisan views this is a guy whose IQ is off the charts — I mean you cannot say that he is anything but a very serious and capable leader and — you know — You and I have talked about this for years …

Imus: Well. What is his IQ?

Historian Michael Beschloss: … our system doesn’t allow those people to become President, those people meaning people THAT smart and THAT capable

Imus: What is his IQ?

Historian Michael Beschloss: Pardon?

Imus: What is his IQ?

Historian Michael Beschloss: Uh. I would say it’s probably - he’s probably the smartest guy ever to become President.

Schadenfreude: my guilty pleasure.
So...does this analysis bleed over onto his erstwhile supporters???

In all reality though, I doubt obama is in the top 25. Nixon and Clinton are most likely the most intelligent in the recent history. Nixon had the highest IQ of any President, if I'm not mistaken. Kind of funny that they both had major ethical issues associated with their presidency.

i read half of one of his books, he seems fairly smart, in a mediocre, milquetoast, harvard establishment way. on the other hand, he certainly strikes me as fairly arrogant. i certainly wouldn't call him a genius. nixon, clinton, carter, bush 41, eisenhower all strike me as smarter than obama. i say this completely independent of what i think of their presidencies. reagan and bush 43 actually to me seemed to literally have something wrong with them. they weren't just dumb, they actually weren't firing on all cylinders. with reagan i think it was just later in his presidency due to aging, with bush 43, i think the drinking and drugging simply took their toll.

Thanks to the army of left wing researchers we know all there is to know about the former president. They even came out with a movie or two during his administration. We know almost nothing about Barry except what his ghost writer (Bill Ayers?) put down in a couple of books. Obama seems to want to emulate his father but was his father smart? He went to Harvard but he was a communist alcoholic bigimist. How smart is that?

If he was so smart then it wouldn't take him 17 minutes to answer a simple question

[youtube]SZMjzLVRLGw[/youtube]

If he want to Harvard I am assuming he is smart, however being smart does not mean you can run a country otherwise congress would be full of rocket scientists and mathemiticians.

How about you give him a test and see what his grades are onnit?

Umm, never mind, see his grades, what was i thinking!

I don't understand why people expect presidents to be humble and bad mouth themselves. What purpose would that serve....

I don't understand why people expect presidents to be humble and bad mouth themselves. What purpose would that serve....

Being humble is a good strategy. Being arrogant never is.
That's something else I don't get. He keeps getting called arrogant but I don't see it. The only credible quote in the OP by him is just playful banter.

All presidents and people in power get labelled arrogant whether they are or not. The alternative is Jimmy Carter.

Forum List

Back