Wrong man (again) shot dead in Marijuana raid.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by MikeK, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    Last month, we wrote about the tragic slaying of Trevon Cole, a 21-year-old father-to-be who was shot and killed by a police officer in front of his pregnant fiancé during a raid on their Las Vegas home.

At the time, police claimed they had evidence that Cole was a marijuana dealer; undercover officers had reportedly purchased marijuana from him on three separate occasions and allegedly took an unknown amount from his home during the raid.

Cole’s fiancé said at the time that Trevon smoked marijuana occasionally but was not a drug dealer, and police were slow to answer questions about the validity of the raid itself, let alone the tactics used.

Now we know why: They raided the wrong Trevon Cole.

(Read more here)
    UPDATE: Police Targeted Wrong Man in Deadly Las Vegas Raid — MPP Blog

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Deaths from Police officers raiding people who kill Marijuana: 1 (At least)

Deaths from directly using Marijuana: 0

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    There are many more than one.

Go here: Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

4. Wicked Jester

Wicked Jester Libsmackin'chef

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,859
    Ok, so here we have some story from some obscure blogger, that gives no actual facts as to what really happened.....Nothing about what the mans actions were when the cops raided the home....Did he reach for a gun?....Did he reach for a knife....As usual, just another cop hater thread with no facts.

Oh, and i'm one of those conservatives who happen to believe MJ should be legalized. Hell, I enjoy partaking in a toke every now and then but, this cop blaming BS is getting to be fucking ridiculous.

Get some REAL facts, before running a thread please. Posting from some obscure blog does nothing.

5. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    Wacky weed aside there is a growing epidemic of the miltarized police force breaking down doors and shooting up the place even when the warrant is actually at the right house. There is ZERO excuse for this behavior. This is called TYRANNY, and we fought a revolution against the same style tactics.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    The "obscure blogger" provided a credible source but in your eagerness to defend the police you apparently overlooked the link to a legitimate newspaper report of the facts. Here is a relevant excerpt and the URL.

"But Cole's record in his native California was limited to a conviction for misdemeanor unlawful taking of a vehicle. He probably never even visited Houston.

Investigators might have confused him with another Trevon Cole -- one with a different middle name who is seven years older, at least three inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter, records show. That Trevon Cole has several marijuana-related arrests in Houston, all misdemeanors."

POLICE SHOOTING: Affidavit errors raise questions - News - ReviewJournal.com

Also, go here for more facts on what is going on in America with regard to wrongful police raids. I'd like to know your thoughts about this data, which is compiled and reported by the Cato Institute. I hope it sufficiently credible for your requirement.

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    While I am no cop lover when it comes to their entering people's homes, I do have to side with this to some degree. Police just don't go into homes and kill people. Why did they shoot him? I'd be willing to be there was a "we thought he had a weapon" in there somewhere.

8. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Speaking as someone who did this for a living. I can tell you that people are nuts. You go in the house yelling DEA DEA and they pop up wwith knives, guns, sic dogs on you, whatever.

One time we were serving a warrant on a farmhouse and the people had dug a giant pit filled it with snaked and covered it with a tarp and foilage hoping that someone would fall in it, luckily no one did.

I got shot at once by a neighbor who claims he thought I was a criminal trying to break into his neighbors house. Hint I was wearing cammo with a blue judicial drug task force windbreaker on.

A friend of mine was stabbed by a 12 y/o who's daddy taught him to hate cops.

Bottom line, even when serving a no knock warrant LEO is required to identify themselves as they are coming through the door, or window. so there is no " I didn't know it was a cop" and there are plenty of instances of people killing LEO. So even though some of yall would be happy with cops being killed, too bad they do have the right to protect themselves.

9. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    George,

I am old enough to remember when kicking down the door of an American citizen's home was something reserved for only the most expediently necessary and unavoidable circumstances -- such as the preservation of innocent life or the apprehension of extraordinarily dangerous felons. Since the War on Drugs initiated formation of the Law-Enforcement Industrial Complex it has become a vehicle for the transformation of America into a police state in which these violent intrusions are commonplace all over America, many of them conducted for the most trivial of reasons, too many of them occuring as mistakes for which there rarely is so much as an apology.

In this specific instance the man was innocent of anything that might warrant such an intrusion. This was another mistaken identity, revealing the outrageous casualness under which these raids are planned and executed.

You should also consider the fact that such home invasions by British Regulars played a very significant role in provoking the American Revolution.

While you might not be a "cop lover" you certainly are rather uninformed. So go here and then let us hear from you. Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

10. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    Con Hog,

The best way to respond to this kind of outrageous, un-American, authoritarian bullshit is with the appropriate level of expressive profanity. So let me say with unabashed sincerity that the next time you go about kicking some citizen's door down because he might be holding some marijuana I truly hope he blows your fucking head off with a 12 ga. shotgun. Because the United States will be a better place without people like you.

Regards.