Writing A WRONG!!

SmarterThanYou said:
its not so much that I didnt like your take. I agreed that i'm sure the teacher has some part, but it wasn't all that long ago that I was a sixth grader......well, maybe it was that long ago, but still, I think I stopped caring what my teachers thought from between 4th grade until somewhere in the middle of high school. Now I know I wasn't an average typical student, but I don't think I was that far out of the mainstream either. Don't most kids pick up their views on life from their home settings though?

I think kids pick up their parent's values, IF they are being taught them. It seems too many parents do not have the time and/or interest to bother to keep up or discuss current events. Thus, for many students in middle school, the first real intro may well be at school, which is why it it important that parents do keep track of papers, especially essay answers and questions of what is being discussed there.

Funny how many parents seem to complain about taxes, that their children do know. Doesn't take much for a teacher to swing kids to positions using this kind of opening.

My take on this is that there must have been some coaching. However I have seen numerous stories of young (elementary school) students writing letters to the troops as class projects and the letters were overwhelmingly in support of the troops.....thinks like.... thank you for fighting for my freedom, and the like, which to me seem as obviously coached as the former....so I guess it would be a 50/50 split on what the kids write, depending somewhat on demographics. These letters seemed to be inappropriate.
6th graders are quite old enough to begin to understand politics and the discussions that go on at home will definitely influence them. If parents have the desire to raise their kids to believe what they believe they better talk long and hard and start before age 11 or 12. Being truthful and sincere (and
being a good example) about what is taught at home is apt to have a lasting impression. Teachers and other outside influences that have access to your children can then be discussed and evaluated as to their validity openly and intelligently as well as other aspects of persuasion and possible motivations.

Kathianne said:
I think kids pick up their parent's values, IF they are being taught them. It seems too many parents do not have the time and/or interest to bother to keep up or discuss current events. Thus, for many students in middle school, the first real intro may well be at school, which is why it it important that parents do keep track of papers, especially essay answers and questions of what is being discussed there.

Funny how many parents seem to complain about taxes, that their children do know. Doesn't take much for a teacher to swing kids to positions using this kind of opening.
Don't take this personally K, but you're dead wrong. As an example I'll use my stepkids. I NEVER sat them down and taught them about things like the constitution or current politics, yet one day I get a call from one of their teachers because my stepdaughter started spouting things to the teacher saying she heard it from her stepfather. Kids look up to their parents more than people wish to believe and while it may not be an interactive experience, they mimic their parents because thats human nature at a young age.

SmarterThanYou said:
Don't take this personally K, but you're dead wrong. As an example I'll use my stepkids. I NEVER sat them down and taught them about things like the constitution or current politics, yet one day I get a call from one of their teachers because my stepdaughter started spouting things to the teacher saying she heard it from her stepfather. Kids look up to their parents more than people wish to believe and while it may not be an interactive experience, they mimic their parents because thats human nature at a young age.

On that we are in agreement. Kids observe and hear whatever is going on around them, moreso when they are younger than older and tuning out. I'm just guessing but I would not be surprised to find that you not only speak to issues, aware of it or not, but also put actions behind them. For instance, support of military in some way, but also real steps to show displeasure with government decisions you disagree with. Of course your kids would reflect that.

On the other hand, if work, shopping, and movies are your largest interests, well kids pick up on that too. They have to look at other sources of support and information. For some, they repudiate the parents lifestyles/values; some it's gangs; some it's drugs; some it's politics-either end of the spectrum.

Forum List

Back