Writing A WRONG!!

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
WRITING A WRONG

By DAVID ANDREATTA

February 22, 2005 -- The city Department of Education, red-faced over Brooklyn sixth-graders who slammed a GI with demoralizing anti-Iraq-war letters as part of a school assignment, will send the 20-year-old private a letter of apology today.
Deputy Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina, who has a nephew serving in Iraq, plans to personally contact Pfc. Rob Jacobs and his family, said department spokeswoman Michele McManus Higgins.

"She knows how difficult it is to have a loved one in a war zone," Higgins said.

Jacobs is stationed 10 miles from the North Korean border and who has been told he may be headed to Iraq in the near future.

The GI got the ranting missives last month from pint-sized pen pals at JHS 51 in Park Slope.

Filled with political diatribes, the letters — excerpts of which were printed in yesterday's Post — predicted GIs would die by the tens of thousands, accused soldiers of killing Iraqi civilians and bashed President Bush.

Teacher Alex Kunhardt had his students write Jacobs as part of a social-studies assignment.

He declined to comment yesterday on whether he read the rants before passing them along, but said he planned to contact Jacobs soon to explain the situation.

In an accompanying letter to Jacobs, Kunhardt had written that the students "come from a variety of backgrounds and political beliefs, but unanimously support the bravery and sacrifice of American soldiers around the world."

"Support" was not the word that came to Jacobs' mind when he read the letters.

One girl wrote that she believes Jacobs is "being forced to kill innocent people" and challenged him to name an Iraqi terrorist, concluding, "I know I can't."

Another girl wrote, "I strongly feel this war is pointless," while a classmate predicted that because Bush was re-elected, "only 50 or 100 [soldiers] will survive."

A boy accused soldiers of "destroying holy places like mosques."

Even one kid smitten with soldiers couldn't keep politics out of the picture, writing, "I find that many extreme liberals are disrespectful to you."

Uplifting letters from children are dear to soldiers, Jacobs said. He looks at a batch he got from a Girl Scout troop from his hometown of Middletown, N.J., whenever he feels lonely.

At the time the 21 JHS 51 letters were penned, Jacobs, who has been stationed in Korea for nearly a year, was told that he may be headed to Iraq. But no official order for deployment was given.

"If I were in Iraq and read that the youth of our nation doesn't want me to be there and doesn't believe in what I'm doing, it would mess up my head," Jacobs said.

Jacobs said he would welcome a letter from the Department of Education and the teacher.

"I want to think these letters were coached by the teacher or the parents of these children," Jacobs said in an interview from Camp Casey, Korea.

"It boggles my mind that children could think this stuff."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40994.htm

Update:

School lettergate, part 2

Now it seems that the offensive class project letters were sent by a male New York City Social Studies teacher to one G.I. stationed just below the North Korean border who is shortly scheduled to go to Iraq. The New York City Board of Education is totally embarrassed (that they got caught and exposed). A Deputy Schools Chancelor, who has a nephew serving in Iraq, said she will contact the soldier personally. So now the City is having one of the people who cares somewhat try to make amends for one of the people who doesn't. There is - today - no talk of disciplining the teacher involved. I don't think there will be any more class letter projects like this one from New York, at least for a long while. But maybe I'm naive.

Jack Kemp
(not the ex-Congressman)

http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=1679

this was that thing from the other day. still its bullshit. what do sixth graders know about politics? nothing, that shit was planted there.

Do you blame the teacher? how about the parents? I know that when I was in sixth grade I was worrying about where I was going to go fishing that day or where I was going to ride my dirtbike. Not about politics. They had to pick it up from somewhere other than the teacher just saying 'write a bad letter'.

SmarterThanYou said:
Do you blame the teacher? how about the parents? I know that when I was in sixth grade I was worrying about where I was going to go fishing that day or where I was going to ride my dirtbike. Not about politics. They had to pick it up from somewhere other than the teacher just saying 'write a bad letter'.

Im thinking it's a bit of both. I agree with you kids as a whole are not that sophisticated at that age. Then again from a childs perspective I was generally obedient to my teachers and looked up to them, so it's not hard to conceive kids being eager to please their teacher. Maybe it's time parents know more about what is going on in their kids schools?

Bonnie said:
Im thinking it's a bit of both. I agree with you kids as a whole are not that sophisticated at that age. Then again from a childs perspective I was generally obedient to my teachers and looked up to them, so it's not hard to conceive kids being eager to please their teacher. Maybe it's time parents know more about what is going on in their kids schools?
you're placing entirely too much power in the teachers hands. Did YOU care what your 6th grade teacher thought? I know I didn't. Most of the kids attitudes about the military can be directly traced to the home front. Do the schools do it also? yes, but its my opinion that they don't have that kind of power at the junior high and lower level.

SmarterThanYou said:
you're placing entirely too much power in the teachers hands. Did YOU care what your 6th grade teacher thought? I know I didn't.

I did. In fact it was specifically my 6th grade teacher that sparked my interest in politics, and my skepticism of those in power. Mr Evans discussed world events daily.

That's not to say that my father, a former Marine, didn't have a strong influence as well.

A

SmarterThanYou said:
you're placing entirely too much power in the teachers hands. Did YOU care what your 6th grade teacher thought? I know I didn't. Most of the kids attitudes about the military can be directly traced to the home front. Do the schools do it also? yes, but its my opinion that they don't have that kind of power at the junior high and lower level.

If the kids or their parents care about their grades, they will say back just about anything to please the teacher, unless the teacher is very clear that they respect any viewpoint, as long as the students back up their arguments, (We are talking middle school here).

Let's all stop acting like dunderheads, 90% of the parents have probably not spoken at much length to their 6th graders regarding the war or any of the involved issues. The kids' slant was coming from the teacher. The one child who wrote about the 'disrespect' of the left most likely had parents that HAD discussed the issues at home.

Bonnie said:

And maybe it's time that parents bothered to read the newspapers, magazines, and newsprograms? Not mentioning discussing them with their children...

Kathianne said:
If the kids or their parents care about their grades, they will say back just about anything to please the teacher, unless the teacher is very clear that they respect any viewpoint, as long as the students back up their arguments, (We are talking middle school here).

Let's all stop acting like dunderheads, 90% of the parents have probably not spoken at much length to their 6th graders regarding the war or any of the involved issues. The kids' slant was coming from the teacher. The one child who wrote about the 'disrespect' of the left most likely had parents that HAD discussed the issues at home.

My parents must have been in that 10% because we always talked politics at the dinner table among many other things

Kathianne said:
And maybe it's time that parents bothered to read the newspapers, magazines, and newsprograms? Not mentioning discussing them with their children...

Good point!

Bonnie said:
My parents must have been in that 10% because we always talked politics at the dinner table among many other things

Yeah mine too. And we are where? Talking about what? Do you consider yourself mainstream? LOL

Kathianne said:
Yeah mine too. And we are where? Talking about what? Do you consider yourself mainstream? LOL

You know mainstream is one thing I have never been accused of being :laugh:

Kathianne said:
Just saw that it was you DK. Welcome back. Sorry you didn't like my take.
its not so much that I didnt like your take. I agreed that i'm sure the teacher has some part, but it wasn't all that long ago that I was a sixth grader......well, maybe it was that long ago, but still, I think I stopped caring what my teachers thought from between 4th grade until somewhere in the middle of high school. Now I know I wasn't an average typical student, but I don't think I was that far out of the mainstream either. Don't most kids pick up their views on life from their home settings though?

Forum List

Back