Writers

That's what bad writing is all about.

Put up or shut up.:D

I know you were just dying to say that, but you make no sense. I haven't criticized any of your writing. Hell, I haven't seen any of it. I have mocked your pretentious and self-indulgently dramatic attitude. Let's address that first. Then you can post some of your writing, and if I criticize it you can say "put up or shut up." It still won't make sense to say so, but at least you'll have a reason.

I eat psuedo-critic wanna-bee's like you for breakfast.:D

I know you were just dying to say that, but you make no sense. I haven't criticized any of your writing. Hell, I haven't seen any of it. I have mocked your pretentious and self-indulgently dramatic attitude. Let's address that first. Then you can post some of your writing, and if I criticize it you can say "put up or shut up." It still won't make sense to say so, but at least you'll have a reason.

Do you have a special 'Reality Filter' on your computer? I haven't criticized any of your work because I've never seen any of it. Hello? Is this getting through to you?

Maybe you really weren't being a self-indulgent little drama queen. Maybe you are just bat-shit crazy.

Do you have a special 'Reality Filter' on your computer? I haven't criticized any of your work because I've never seen any of it. Hello? Is this getting through to you?

Maybe you really weren't being a self-indulgent little drama queen. Maybe you are just bat-shit crazy.
Well, mull it over and let me know what you come up with. I'm as interested in the answer to that question as you are.:D

Yeah, I junked my first attempt because I want to go in another direction. Unfortunately, that's as far as I got. Anybody else in my shoes?

mybook.jpg

BD I am so deep in your shoes I can't see daylight. I have three different manuscripts gathering dust in different rooms on different surfaces. My so called Opus (capital letters there, right?) is before me with a great start a great and spectacular ending but no aceptable middle.

Now. There are dozens of short stories lying around, some good, some that have the look only a mother could love.

What can I say?
The only way to learn how to write is . . .well. . is to write.

Keep hard at it, treat it like an exercise you must do once a day and never stop.

Then someday you too can be the proud owner of stacks of fledglings, one or two of which may turn out to be swans.

Ya never know.

Is that a mirror I see in your hand. ;)

My nephew is the family author (at this point!) Sooo ..... I think part of my problem is - he's brilliant. I couldn't begin to complete. Therefore, why bother.

I just need to get over it, and start again.

Think of the gorgeous house you'll buy with your first advance.

Or at least the bills you'll pay, lol.

I would LOVE to see anything you've written.

Cuz the samples I've seen of your writing wouldn't get a passing grade from a 9th grade English comp teacher.

Cuz the samples I've seen of your writing wouldn't get a passing grade from a 9th grade English comp teacher.

I'd say the same of Charlaine Harris. But girl can tell a story!

I had a boyfriend once, a newspaper copy editor, who had me look at the novel he was working on. It was all about his childhood, and his beloved dad, who died too young...

He asked me for my opinion on it, and stupidly, I thought he meant my REAL opinion...

I told him to start over.

Now my advice to anyone who has a friend who wants their "honest" opinion on their writing...

LIE YOUR ASS OFF. Tell them it's wonderful, it doesn't need a thing, by golly, you couldn't put it down!

Let the publishers dump on it, if it ever gets that far.

I see that so far you've gotten no response to this from the emo-artist in question.

She's busy plagarizing so she has something she can pretend is real writing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_14MLXTsss]Clip from 'Brian Writes A Bestseller' - Family Guy Season 11 - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, I junked my first attempt because I want to go in another direction. Unfortunately, that's as far as I got. Anybody else in my shoes?

mybook.jpg

Written one full one, about 8000 words into a second one and have written and had published kids books for education...

Keep at it. The first one I wrote is on Amazon and moved a few copies, but had about 15 rewrites....and a decent editor helps, too...

I'm having fun.

Ok who's gonna post something they've written?

I've written lots of newspaper articles, I'm not posting them, I don't want to find them, besides they've already been seen...

Ok here ya go. First draft, straight out of my head, zero editing..

you don't have to edit it....tell me if it reads ok:

"
“Mom, do you believe in God?” Pearl , was sitting on the dining room floor when she posed the question. Ten years old, with long, fine, sandy brown hair, she had a half grown black cat wrapped in a faded baby’s receiving blanket. The cat’s eyes were wide, yellow, unblinking, and fixed on Pearl ’s face. The cat was not purring. It’s tail, sticking out of bottom of the receiving blanket, whipped back and forth, twitching the blanket and striking Pearl ’s thighs with each lash.

“Pear that cat’s gonna nail you, let it go.” Pearl’s mother, inappropriately named Joy by her own mother, who was perhaps hoping for a little in her own life (she was disappointed) was tiredly rummaging through the refrigerator, pulling out half-wrapped, spoiled packages of food and almost empty bottles and jars of condiments, then shoving them back in as she continued in her quest to find something for dinner. Forty years old, her eyes were bagged and injured looking. No laugh lines there, rather lines of disapproval and self-pity that molded them into peaked pools of woe. Joy had spent her entire life waiting for someone to value her above all others, to make her the center of their life, to give her the homage she felt she deserved, and at 40 she was still waiting. She tried, unsuccessfully, to force her children to provide her with that worship but so far had succeeded only in either alienating them or, in Pearl ’s case, turning them into passive and slightly hysterical underachievers.

“No he won’t,” Pearl said, giving the cat a little squeeze, whereupon a growl started somewhere in the vicinity of the cat’s bowels and worked its way out of it’s mouth, followed by an explosive hiss and explosion of angry black out of the top of the receiving blanket. Faster than a human eye could follow, the cat slashed at Pearl ’s face, but only just caught the inside corner of her right eyelid. Her eye immediately filled with blood as she, stunned, clapped a hand to it and started to cry.

“I told you!” her mother was immediately over her with a dish towel, moving Pearl ’s hand’s away from her face and tipping her head back. “Let me see!” Using a thumb, she pulled Pearl ’s upper lid up, and relief immediately showed on her face.

“You’re lucky, he only nicked the skin a little. Next time listen to me, you can’t hold most cats like that and he’s a mean one,” she said, holding the dishtowel to Pearl’s eye. “I think your tears probably washed out any infection…cat scratches are nasty but I can’t really put detergent in your eye so we’ll hope for the best. Now go wash your hands RIGHT NOW or you’ll infect it anyway.” But Pearl was already dashing for the bathroom, eager to see her injury and share the story with her brother.

Joy went back to her task with a sigh. The kitchen was a mess, it always was. She worked two jobs and didn’t wash dishes during the week. Or during the weekend. The kitchen was tiny and every available surface was crammed with dirty dishes and serving dishes and pyrex and ecko pans that were dirty and contained spoiled, molded or sour remnants of meals past. She felt that the children should take it upon themselves to clean the kitchen, but didn’t have the energy or the drive to teach them, aside from ordering them to do it once in a while. When she wasn’t at work, she was either cooking or sleeping, and dishes did not fit into that schedule.

"Landon!" Pearl called out as she ran into the bathroom to peer at her eye in the mirror above the sink. "Cmere, my eye is BLEEDING!"

There's one right on here called Evie. Whadaya need, a guide dog?

Hey, I remember you. You're that hysterical chick from yesterday. Bless your heart, Honey. I didn't think you'd make it through the night.:clap2:

Forum List

Back