Wrestlings Dirty Secret

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
While many people think of wrestling as a big joke, there is one thing about wrestling that isn't funny. The death rate among wrestlers is alarmingly high. The first time time this story was covered by the national media was in 2003 on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. That segment featured Vince McMahon mocking the interviewer and slapping the notes from his hands. In addition, the only wrestler to speak up for the wrestlers, Roddy Piper, was fired after the piece aired.

Drug Usage
While the outcomes of the matches are pre-determined, the effort to put on those matches takes a huge toll on their bodies. The wrestlers are on the road over 300 days a year and unlike other athletes, they do not have an off season. In addition, accidents do happen and injuries occur. Unfortunately, if wrestlers take time off, their wallets will suffer significantly. These factors all lead to the deadly slope that many wrestlers have found themselves facing. They get addicted to pain killers to numb the pain. This medicine keeps them too lethargic to wrestle, so they take drugs to get high. This deadly mixture leads to illegal drug dependency that many wrestlers have to cope with even after they retire.

Large Bodies
In the '90s, the WWE faced a major steroid scandal. While they claim to test for steroids, it is obvious to the casual viewer that many of the wrestlers are taking something to get their physiques to look like they do. In today's environment, a wrestler must carry either an enormous amount of muscle or a tremendous amount of fat to give him the larger than life size needed to be successful in the business. That extra weight, whether muscle or fat, makes the heart work harder than it must.

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65
Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
The Renegade - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Owen Hart - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Emory Hale - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
John Kronus - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Chris Benoit - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Mike Awesome - 42
Biff Wellington - 42
Brian Adams (Crush) - 43
Ray Candy - 43
Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre the Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49
Sherri Martel - 49
Moondog Spot - 51
Ken Timbs - 53
Uncle Elmer - 54
Pez Whatley - 54
The Angel of Death - 54
Eddie Graham - 55
Tarzan Tyler - 55
Haystacks Calhoun- 55
Giant Haystacks - 55
The Spoiler - 56
Kurt Von Hess - 56
Moondog King - 56
Gene Anderson - 58
Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
Bulldog Brown - 58
Tony Parisi - 58
Rufus R. Jones - 60
Ray Stevens - 60
Stan Stasiak - 60
Terry Garvin - 60
Boris Malenko - 61
Little Beaver - 61
Sapphire - 61
Shohei Baba - 61
Dick the Bruiser - 62
Wilbur Snyder - 62
George Cannon - 62
Karl Krupp - 62
Dale Lewis - 62
Gorilla Monsoon - 62
Hiro Matsuda - 62
Bad News Brown - 63
Bulldog Brower - 63
SD Jones - 63
Wahoo McDaniel - 63

Full Story..................
Pro Wrestler's Deaths

The majority of those listed are drug and steroid related. Why wont Congress do anything? If this was Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball, Boxing there would be hearings and penalties for people like Vince McMahon who endorse this kind of behavior to make a quick buck. These people are role models to a lot of kids across the world and if you don't think so look at the Make A Wish Foundations most requested person, Hulk Hogan. Also several other Wrestlers are towards the top of that list.

Congress and the Senate need to hold these promoters accountable.

Wrestling is retarded as hell but Rowdy Roddy Piper is the fucking MAN

[youtube]PsuKfI8wq-U[/youtube]

Wrestling is retarded as hell but Rowdy Roddy Piper is the fucking MAN

[youtube]PsuKfI8wq-U[/youtube]

Vince McMahon fired "Hot Rod" right after that interview. He has always been one of my favorite Wrestlers.

Something needs to be done about this, unfortunately nothing will and more and more will end up dead.

Vince McMahon fired "Hot Rod" right after that interview. He has always been one of my favorite Wrestlers.

Something needs to be done about this, unfortunately nothing will and more and more will end up dead.

Another "Vince is evil" guy, huh?

For one thing, it's none of Congress's business. For another, when Vince came out and admitted wrestling was a work it was for the SOLE PURPOSE of reclassifying professional wrestling from a sport to entertainment. Once done, all regulations of professional sports were nonapplicable.

Nobody forces those people to become professional wrestlers. They CHOOSE to. Nobody forces them to use steroids. They CHOOSE to.

After looking over your list, I also question you "majority" died from steroids/drugs. Since the first one of those wrestlers on your list performed, how many total professional wrestlers have there been? Let's get some context here. What percentage of that total does this list represent?

You got a LOT of homework to answer that. Eddie graham, who, btw blew his own brains out because he was indicted on a real estate scam, wrestled in the 50s. That's not saying he's the oldest. Just a name I noticed.

By far and away my favorite wrestling thing ever - maybe the best piece of entertainment ever - is Andy Kaufman wrestling.

If you've got the time, watch I'm from Hollywood. I think there are six parts on youtube. Here is the second part, which is where the wrestling starts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo5JWw5uAK0]YouTube - Andy Kaufman- I'm From Hollywood Part 2[/ame]

I used to watch wrestling in the 70's and 80's and actually saw Wrestlemania Live. I can't believe how many names I recognised on the list.

But, they are entertainers. If Congress were to once again overstep their authority and regulate entertainers, then Rock Stars would be an endangered species....

This is faux outrage. The beginning of part 2 of that video Vince McMahon says "If you can't cut it, GET OUT. How hard is that?"

WWE has about 150 wrestlers. Compare that to how many employees WAL MART has. How many employees Time Inc has. How many employees FoxNews has. You don't see those people jacked up on steroids on 100 painkillers a day. These people made a decision to go into wrestling, be away from home 4 nights a week, work out and make your body into the biggest fucking brick house it can be, and all of a sudden we should feel sorry for them?

Busllhit.

They made the decision. Steroids and painkillers are ILLEGAL in the WWE and the WWE has gotten nazi-style on their testing programs on wrestlers since Chris Benoit's death in 2007. If you can't take the pain, and you need painkillers to cope, GET OUT. Go do something else that hundreds of millions of other people do.

How many movie stars have died before 65?

Btw - Rowdy Roddy Piper was just on WWE Monday Night RAW a couple of weeks ago. Soooo... not sure how credibile he is.

I watched wrestling as a kid growing up but stopped in the early 90's when it all went to cable, my folks didnt have cable so I couldnt watch. In 97' we got cable and started watching WCW and stayed with them till they folded in 2003. Now I like TNA wrestling and am a huge fan although Im poor as shit and dont have cable again. I still say TNA is far better then WWE...it sucks hardcore now and has for quite a few years now...Vince dont give a crap about anyone but himself and exploits his wrestlers and some very sensitive issues like 911, necrophilia and so on and so on for his personal jollies and the all mighty dollar...I know wrestling is fake and have for years but still find it entertaining to watch, its kinda like a movie or a soap opera for guys.

Where in the Constitution does Congress have the power to hold these promoters accountable?

I agree. Though it is alarming and too bad, it is not the governments obligation to regulate this. To begin with these are adults, they choose their actions, second Wrestling's governing body should be the one to police it's own organization.

I agree. Though it is alarming and too bad, it is not the governments obligation to regulate this. To begin with these are adults, they choose their actions, second Wrestling's governing body should be the one to police it's own organization.

It's a two-way street. I started really looking at some of those names and that list is a crock of shit. Without looking I can say only one of the von Erich's (Kerry) was a musclehead. ALL of the von Erich's however were suicidal.

Bruiser Brody was murdered in the shower by stiffing yet another promoter.

Adrian Adonis died in a car crash.

Owen Hart fell to his death in a show when the rapelling gear he wore malfunctioned.

Tarzan Tyler, Dick the Bruiser, Wilbur Snyder, Karl Krupp were all retired or close to retirement BEFORE the steroid craze of the 80s and only Dick the Bruiser was actually a muscleman.

Eddie Graham was a former wreslter turned promoter who killed himself rather than face real estate fraud charges, but he too retired before the steroid craze.

A LOT of misrepresentation here, so let's draw some lines. Steroids are illegal for sports enhancement in the US. Alcohol and painkillers are not illegal, and the US population as a whole abuses both.

I counted 6 names on that list of wrestlers who were "muslcemen" and obvious steroid users. Of course, it isn't always easy to tell.

Steroids exist at all levels in professional sports. They are an edge. Athletes who have been striving to be the best want whatever edge they can get. That professional wrestling or any other sport are hardasses about testing is a load of bull. It's a matter of buying the latest masking agent and who is too cheap to shell out for it.

If you don't look like Dave Bautista, Steve Austin or Tiple H, you aren't going to the top.

However, the choice is STILL as personal a choice as whether or not to walk into a bar, have that one more shot, smoke a joint, drop some Xanax and chase it with a couple of beers, or eating Valium and ibuprofen like candy.

Of course pro wrestling puts on the pressure to perform. So does my job. If you don't want to deal with the pressure, get another job. Don't come crying after the fact that you were forced to do it when you have to pay up for what you have done in your quest for glory.

And to repeat, using steroids for sports enhancement is illegal in this country. There is a law enforcement branch responsible for catching, arresting and charging those in violation of the law.

The U S Congress is NOT it. Our economy's going to shit and we're in the midst of two wars and fo all their promises, what has the Dem Congress to show for them from 06-08? They investigated steroids in baseball.

Blaming the promotion for causing the use is looking for a paycheck. Trying to blame McMahon himself was already tried and failed.

I get so sick of people trying to pass the blame when they have to pay as a result of their own decisions.

Forum List

Back