Wow we have a new JFK carrier

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Damn..

USS John F. Kennedy (2020)
Pictured here (in a composite photo illustration) is the second carrier in the Navy's new Ford-class, the USS John F. Kennedy (CVN 79).

It is currently under construction at Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia and will be commissioned in 2020.

Ford class doesn't work.....Construction should be halted

Got any more information?

War is business, global Israeli/US arms dealers often sell to multiple sides of a given conflict, private govt contractors and their lobbyists are very slick at siphoning off public funding into private corporate hands at great cost to society at large, and Ike warned of this long ago.

Makes one wonder these days if more is better or is it best to respond to new technologies that our enemies posses now and/or are constantly working to posses now ? Otherwise are we doing things that really don't work to counter the threats of new missle technologies, nuclear arms, high tech weaponry etc. ??

Big and expensive equals tempting target. Small, deadly, numerous and dispersed geographically and close chronologically is military wisdom today.

Launch system puts too much stress on the aircraft....Has propulsion engineering probs and if memory serves there is a recovery prob too. Not against carriers ...Just don't want a repeat of LCS fiasco

Kinda knowledgeable.. But not much are you talking about our new piece of crap destroyer?

Have whole thread on the LITTLE CRAPPY SHIP

When has anyone came close to hitting one of our aircraft carrier fleet?

The way I Always read it she is protected a 100 or so miles away..

Underwater, above water and from space.

War is business, global Israeli/US arms dealers often sell to multiple sides of a given conflict, private govt contractors and their lobbyists are very slick at siphoning off public funding into private corporate hands at great cost to society at large, and Ike warned of this long ago.

It's certainly a good thing that they all donated to Hillary and Trumpm isnt beholden to them.

It's certainly a good thing that they all donated to Hillary and Trumpm isnt beholden to them.

How many Goldman Sachs higher ups in this white house already shoog? Trump is merely this season's hope and change ruse. Watch.

How many Goldman Sachs higher ups in this white house already shoog? Trump is merely this season's hope and change ruse. Watch.

I suppose he should have hired the teller from your local Bank?

Big and expensive equals tempting target. Small, deadly, numerous and dispersed geographically and close chronologically is military wisdom today.
. Yes the days of intimidation might be over, where as subs should probably be more of the focus these days. We do need to support great modern day platforms however, just encase we need to be in theater for an extended length of time anywhere in the world. Protection around these platforms is crucial, because like you all say that such a huge target is just that a huge target for modernized weaponry today.

I think saying Ford class "doesn't work" is a bit overstated and oversimplified.

Like any new first in class it's got teething issues. The propulsion problem was faulty voltage regulators, they already have a plan to fix the damage caused to the rotors by this. The launch system has been tested and will be fine with some tuning, the biggest issue is with the advanced recovery system (or whatever they are calling the arresting gear on it) where they might have to scrap it and revert to older kind on Nimitz.

. Yes the days of intimidation might be over, where as subs should probably be more of the focus these days. We do need to support great modern day platforms however, just encase we need to be in theater for an extended length of time anywhere in the world. Protection around these platforms is crucial, because like you all say that such a huge target is just that a huge target for modernized weaponry today.
We need sub drone carriers. Subs that can hold, launch, and recover 30 plus drones. We gotta have it.

I think you're right, sub drones are an obvious area to pursue effective pilotless vehicle technology.

The low hanging fruit that has had most progress (and bumbling) has been with mine sweeping. A mine sweeping mission is such a time consuming high effort task with obvious risks (any ship can be a minesweeper once) but since can be accomplished with smaller slow moving vehicles it screams drone swarm solution. I know they recently canceled some big program because of technical issues but I'm sure something else will fill in the gaps and move forward.

It doesn't even need to be a sub launch platform, ships would be just as appropriate to launch sub drones for things like minesweeping, antisubmarine work, etc.

I think saying Ford class "doesn't work" is a bit overstated and oversimplified.

Like any new first in class it's got teething issues. The propulsion problem was faulty voltage regulators, they already have a plan to fix the damage caused to the rotors by this. The launch system has been tested and will be fine with some tuning, the biggest issue is with the advanced recovery system (or whatever they are calling the arresting gear on it) where they might have to scrap it and revert to older kind on Nimitz.
Doesn't work.....Can't afford 4 billion dollar white elephants.
Fix it the build.......

Having some teething issues in a new class of ships is not the same as doesn't work, and that is proven by history of many new aircraft/ships/etc. having problems with systems that were resolved. If we ditched every project that had problems with an exasperated "doesn't work! scrap it!" we'd be flying F-86s.

Forum List

Back