Wow... R.I.P. Junior Seau

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sports/football/03duerson.html?_r=1

The diagnosis adds a new and perhaps pivotal chapter to football’s still-unfolding narrative surrounding concussions. Duerson shot himself Feb. 17 in the chest rather than the head, presumably so that his brain could be examined by Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, which announced its diagnosis.

So? Multiple concussions have lasting effects on the brain, but I really doubt that was what made him pull the trigger.
Usually, it has more to do about being on the highs as a famous athlete, and not being able to cope with the lows in real life after the fame is gone, TM.
This is not a bash on Junior Seau, it is a reality about fame.
There is conflicting information on this. Some are saying that this is what caused Chris Benoit to flip out (killed family and himself) They have studied repeated concussions and they permanently change brain chemistry. Theres some other cases of ex players exhibiting crazy behavior as they got older.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is a degenerative brain disease that is caused by repeated blows to the head. Cases of the disease have been found in a number of deceased athletes like boxers, wrestlers, soccer players, and, so far, five football players.

In addition to dementia-like symptoms, the disease can also cause depression, erratic behavior, and suicidal tendencies.

quote taken from ABC News

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is a degenerative brain disease that is caused by repeated blows to the head. Cases of the disease have been found in a number of deceased athletes like boxers, wrestlers, soccer players, and, so far, five football players.

In addition to dementia-like symptoms, the disease can also cause depression, erratic behavior, and suicidal tendencies.

The key word though is "can". Certainly...and I don't think anyone is going to argue this...with repeated brain trauma over time many people are going to suffer some ill effects that can result in some very dramatic behavior...but that is not to say all of them will. It's possible that Seau taking multiple hits over the course of his career contributed to dramatic behavioral issues that ultimately ended with this act...it's equally as possible that that had nothing to do with it at all and he was simply suffering from a difficulty dealing with being out of the limelight (as Meister suggested), monetary problems, relationship problems, or perhaps he simply had "Richard Cory Syndrome". It could have been a number of things.

The point is that the news is less than six hours old so to immediately jump up and blame it on multiple concussions is a bit premature. At any given time there are 1,696 active players in the NFL. Multiply that by ten or so for retired players....out of roughly 17,000 people alive at any given point in time (rough guesstimate) one or two of them are going to die, succumb to depression and kill themselves, etc etc....it's just the law of averages and doesn't necessarily indicate a pattern.

Last edited:

The key word though is "can". Certainly...and I don't think anyone is going to argue this...with repeated brain trauma over time many people are going to suffer some ill effects that can result in some very dramatic behavior...but that is not to say all of them will. It's possible that Seau taking multiple hits over the course of his career contributed to dramatic behavioral issues that ultimately ended with this act...it's equally as possible that that had nothing to do with it at all and he was simply suffering from a difficulty dealing with being out of the limelight (as Meister suggested), monetary problems, relationship problems, or perhaps he simply had "Richard Cory Syndrome". It could have been a number of things.

The point is that the news is less than six hours old so to immediately jump up and blame it on multiple concussions is a bit premature.
I agree, nobody can blame it on anything and I don't believe anyone is saying for a fact that it was. We are just discussing the possibilities. I agree that one cannot rule out either position. Meister's words are very true, a lot of famous people cannot handle it when "the lights go out", the person that mentioned brain trauma is spot on as well. Could be anything and we will probably never find out

Junior Seau Dead -- Cops Suspect Suicide | TMZ.com

Guy was a beast ... Could bench over 500 pounds. Wonder what happened.

Lead poisoning.

I'm a Charger fan and he was one of the best players they ever had.

Only guy I know like him is Ray Lewis.

I've been a Charger fan since the 70s.

Met Dan Fouts, Bobbie Duckworth, Louie Kelcher, a few others.

Junior would have helped the Chargers of the Dan Fouts era get to a Super Bowl.

He was on the team when they sucked and eventually played in the Super Bowl and got clobbered by the 49ers.

Last edited:
Fuck him. He did that cowardly shit to his kids. I have no sympathy for him, but I do have it for his kids.

Fuck him. He did that cowardly shit to his kids. I have no sympathy for him, but I do have it for his kids.

No one in their right mind would do such an act.

Imagine playing 20 years at linebacker.

He was 41 when he finally retired. I don't know many QBs that last that long.

Of all of the Chargers Junior was one I'd hoped would retire a Bolt, but it seems he wanted to keep playing even after they felt he couldn't keep up with the younger players. So it looks like he was released so he could latch on to another team. He ended up in New England.....played and lost in another Super Bowl. I wanted him to get a Super Bowl Ring like Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, Louie Kelcher, and Fred Dean did when they went to SF.

Last edited:
he did kill himself by shooting himself in the chest.....reason....so his brain could be studied.....many dying players are donating their brains for the study on how head injuries effect them

Very sad.

concussive brain injury can be very painful emotionally.

Lets take care of our troops

We don't know how much football played a role in this yet. And since he'd been out and about in the community doing charity work; and he was feeling good enough to still be playing football; I am skeptical that it did. Some people just have emotional issues that go beyond the gridiron.

Last edited:
A gunshot wound to the chest? That's a pretty unusual way to kill yourself. Usually it's the side of the head, in the mouth, or under the chin. No I am not suggesting some vast conspiracy....just pretty rare that someone does it that way. Terrible situation though. RIP Junior

I think that's how Dave Duerson (sp?) killed himself too. But he wanted his brain studied, so that would eliminate a head shot option.

edit: oops, sorry. I missed a very similar post above.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back