Wow, Looks Like UK Out Classes Code Pink!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Shameful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/22/narmy322.xml

Disabled veterans jeered at swimming pool

By Thomas Harding, Lucy Cockcroft and Brendan Carlin
Last Updated: 11:07am GMT 24/11/2007

Injured soldiers who lost their limbs fighting for their country have been driven from a swimming pool training session by jeering members of the public.

The men, injured during tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, were taking part in a rehabilitation session at a leisure centre, when two women demanded they be removed from the pool. They claimed that the soldiers "hadn't paid" and might scare the children.

The incident has sparked widespread condemnation. Adml Lord Boyce, a former head of the Armed Forces, said last night the women should be "named and shamed".

British soldiers
The disabled men were injured during tours of Iraq and Afghanistan

"These people are beneath contempt and everything should be done to get their names and publish them in the press," he said. "It is contemptible that people who have given up their limbs for their country should be so abused when they are trying to get fit again."

'Two Women, Alledgedly, Thought Veterans Hadn't Paid to Swim' would look a lot less dramatic, of course. Shameful journalism, certainly.

You know how those disabled soldiers are - disrespected, disillusioned and dismembered.

Every generation of soldiers thinks they're going to be honored for their service and then they come back to learn that nobody really gives a damn. There's lots of lip service, but when it time to pay thier bills?

The Viet Nam vets, of course, got treated worse than any other in American history, but I'm seeing that the Iraqi vets are going to be largely forgotten, too.

What's the poster that was popular when I was in

We the unwilling, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Something like that.

You know how those disabled soldiers are - disrespected, disillusioned and dismembered.

Every generation of soldiers thinks they're going to be honored for their service and then they come back to learn that nobody really gives a damn. There's lots of lip service, but when it time to pay thier bills?

The Viet Nam vets, of course, got treated worse than any other in American history, but I'm seeing that the Iraqi vets are going to be largely forgotten, too.

What's the poster that was popular when I was in

We the unwilling, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Something like that.

My brother was in Viet Nam, still to this day hates to talk about it.

No matter what your politics are, utmost respect should be given to all people in the armed forces. I respect them, as I'm sure 99.9% of Americans do.

One of my classes favorite things is when we write letters to the soliders overseas.

Last edited:
Yes, this is an example of how despicable some people are. Fortunately, in the UK people like this are the exception rather than the rule.

One of the bitches was complaining that she had paid to use the pool, whereas the soldiers had not. To f***ing ignorant to realise that these soldiers have paid a far higher price for the right to use the pool than she would ever contemplate for herself.

Yes, this is an example of how despicable some people are. Fortunately, in the UK people like this are the exception rather than the rule.

One of the bitches was complaining that she had paid to use the pool, whereas the soldiers had not. To f***ing ignorant to realise that these soldiers have paid a far higher price for the right to use the pool than she would ever contemplate for herself.

Hello - you still alive? What's the evidence that this ever happened, let alone that such behaviour is 'British'? It sounds to me to be the standard extreme-right paranoia, rather unusual in the UK: most British people would be FAR to embarrassed to say any such thing, even if they felt it, which I doubt not just very much but absolutely. This is standard journalistic codswallop, written for reactionaries to throw pretend fits. I should move on to 'political correctness' - there's always some mileage in that limping, ludicrous myth, because some half-witted right-wing local government officers believe they have to act it out! It all saves us from real politics, fair play!.

This is what happens when there is a toothbrush shortage and no one thinks to add fluoride to the water.

Hello - you still alive? What's the evidence that this ever happened, let alone that such behaviour is 'British'? It sounds to me to be the standard extreme-right paranoia, rather unusual in the UK: most British people would be FAR to embarrassed to say any such thing, even if they felt it, which I doubt not just very much but absolutely. This is standard journalistic codswallop, written for reactionaries to throw pretend fits. I should move on to 'political correctness' - there's always some mileage in that limping, ludicrous myth, because some half-witted right-wing local government officers believe they have to act it out! It all saves us from real politics, fair play!.

So sayeth the leftwingnut. Heaven forbid you acknowledge people on your side of the political spectrum exist. That would require actual observation and objectivity on your part.

Instead we get the usual "standard extreme-right paranoia" dismissal in lieu of an actual argument.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I suppose we are going to have to put up with your inane comments until the school holidays are over. BTW, what class will you be in when you go back?

So sayeth the leftwingnut. Heaven forbid you acknowledge people on your side of the political spectrum exist. That would require actual observation and objectivity on your part.

Instead we get the usual "standard extreme-right paranoia" dismissal in lieu of an actual argument.

Those get rich by robbing the world of its resources, starving other people's children, invading their countries on fantastic grounds so as to steal their oil or whatever do, mostly, tend to find it difficult to live with themselves, especially when, having looked after their own children, they use what they've grapped simply to pile up trade goods higher than the Joneses next door. For this reason they find it necessary to believe all sorts of weird and totally unlikely codswallop about those who point to their crimes, and to project their own wickedness on their victims: it gives them the illusion of feeling better. This is the cause of 'right-wing paranoia'. All mock-elections in prisons favour the right, as you might expect.

To oppose these people requires only the facts about the way the world is - difficult to get at, but requiring no fantasies at all when you've got them.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I suppose we are going to have to put up with your inane comments until the school holidays are over. BTW, what class will you be in when you go back?

Who says American extremists have no sense of humour? Well ... everybody, I suppose, but keep trying kiddiewinkie. It'll come.

Those get rich by robbing the world of its resources, starving other people's children, invading their countries on fantastic grounds so as to steal their oil or whatever do, mostly, tend to find it difficult to live with themselves, especially when, having looked after their own children, they use what they've grapped simply to pile up trade goods higher than the Joneses next door. For this reason they find it necessary to believe all sorts of weird and totally unlikely codswallop about those who point to their crimes, and to project their own wickedness on their victims: it gives them the illusion of feeling better. This is the cause of 'right-wing paranoia'. All mock-elections in prisons favour the right, as you might expect.

To oppose these people requires only the facts about the way the world is - difficult to get at, but requiring no fantasies at all when you've got them.

Funny even some people in UK wish they were a bit more like US:

I've read many sites saying Britain acted badly with this. Until now, I've not caught it in the media. It was Britain's military that acted badly, but intelligence agencies and Defense departments. I remember at the beginning of the war, many Brits were saying the US needed to act more like 'them' in Basra. However as time went on, Basra became the problem:

Secret deal kept British Army out of battle for Basra - Times Online

From The Times
August 5, 2008
Secret deal kept British Army out of battle for Basra

A secret deal between Britain and the notorious al-Mahdi militia prevented British Forces from coming to the aid of their US and Iraqi allies for nearly a week during the battle for Basra this year
, The Times has learnt.

Four thousand British troops – including elements of the SAS and an entire mechanised brigade – watched from the sidelines for six days because of an “accommodation” with the Iranian-backed group, according to American and Iraqi officers who took part in the assault.

US Marines and soldiers had to be rushed in to fill the void, fighting bitter street battles and facing mortar fire, rockets and roadside bombs with their Iraqi counterparts.

Hundreds of militiamen were killed or arrested in the fighting. About 60 Iraqis were killed or injured. One US Marine died and sevenwere wounded.

The deal, which aimed to encourage the Shia movement back into the political process and marginalise extremist factions, has dealt a huge blow to Britain’s reputation in Iraq.

Under its terms, no British soldier could enter Basra without the permission of Des Browne, the Defence Secretary. By the time he gave his approval, most of the fighting was over and the damage to Britain’s reputation had already been done....

Lieutenant-Colonel Chuck Western, a senior US Marine advising the Iraqi Army, told The Times: “I was not happy. Everybody just assumed that because this deal was cut nobody was going in. Cutting a deal with the bad guys is generally not a good idea.”

He emphasised, however, that he was not being critical of the British military, which he described as first-rate...

“You can accuse the Americans of many things, such as hamfistedness, but you can’t accuse them of not addressing a situation when it arises. While we had a strategy of evasion, the Americans just went in and addressed the problem.”

Another British official said that the deal was intended as an IRA-style reconciliation. “That is what we were trying to do but it did not work.” The official added that “accommodation” had become a dirty word...

Forum List

Back