Wow, in book Bush says, "GOP leadership wanted to play politics soldiers lives"

R

rdean

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky)

“Mr. President,” McConnell is quoted as saying, “your unpopularity is going to cost us control of the Congress.”

Bush said he responded to McConnell: “Well, Mitch, what do you want me to do about it?”

McConnell, the president wrote, answered: “Mr. President, bring some troops home from Iraq.”

Bush said this was his answer: “Mitch, I believe our presence in Iraq is necessary to protect America, and I will not withdraw troops unless military conditions warrant.”

“If the story is true, Sen. McConnell will have to explain to the families of all the men and women who sacrificed in Iraq why he was willing to play politics with their lives,”

Mitch McConnell Suggested Using Troops As Political Pawns

Before the 2006 midterm elections in which Republicans ultimately took a clobbering, Sen. Mitch McConnell asked President Bush in a private Oval Office meeting to pull some troops out of Iraq in order to boost the GOP's chances, Bush reports in his new memoir.

And in the same month -- September 2006 -- that McConnell made his private request, he publicly blasted Democrats for calling for a reduction of troops in Iraq, saying that their position endangered Americans.

The Washington Monthly

-------------------------------------

Is Mitch's position defensible?

“Mr. President,” McConnell is quoted as saying, “your unpopularity is going to cost us control of the Congress.”

Bush said he responded to McConnell: “Well, Mitch, what do you want me to do about it?”

McConnell, the president wrote, answered: “Mr. President, bring some troops home from Iraq.”

Bush said this was his answer: “Mitch, I believe our presence in Iraq is necessary to protect America, and I will not withdraw troops unless military conditions warrant.”

“If the story is true, Sen. McConnell will have to explain to the families of all the men and women who sacrificed in Iraq why he was willing to play politics with their lives,”

Before the 2006 midterm elections in which Republicans ultimately took a clobbering, Sen. Mitch McConnell asked President Bush in a private Oval Office meeting to pull some troops out of Iraq in order to boost the GOP's chances, Bush reports in his new memoir.

And in the same month -- September 2006 -- that McConnell made his private request, he publicly blasted Democrats for calling for a reduction of troops in Iraq, saying that their position endangered Americans.

The Washington Monthly

Check my sig line.
Democrats do this every day of the week, btw. How many anti war proposals did the Pelosi Congress pass while Bush was in office? Yet they never cut off funds, never had a vote to do so.
Isn't that playing politics with soldiers' lives (whatever that means)?

Makes me feel even better about GW.... He didnt care about politics when it came to national defense.

Thanks Rdean....

BTW, do ever have a thought of your own?
I mean really.... you keep dragging up these dumb things and dropping them on the doorstep of USMB and then you sit there and meow....

I have a fucking cat that is more intelligent than you sir....

The Washington Monthly

Check my sig line.
Democrats do this every day of the week, btw. How many anti war proposals did the Pelosi Congress pass while Bush was in office? Yet they never cut off funds, never had a vote to do so.

Democrats never vote in a block. They are a coalition party.

Republicans vote in lockstep.

Mitch: he publicly blasted Democrats for calling for a reduction of troops in Iraq, saying that their position endangered Americans.

Why would Democrats put soldiers in danger by cutting off funds? That's something I suspect most, if not all Republicans would do, but not Democrats. Democrats wanted to bring the soldiers home to protect them. This is why they wouldn't cut soldiers funds.

It's no accident that it's the Democrats who want to provide soldiers with health care, mental health care, the GI bill and other benefits we believe they earned by serving. Most, if not all Republicans don't believe those things. We all know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitch: he publicly blasted Democrats for calling for a reduction of troops in Iraq, saying that their position endangered Americans.

Why would Democrats put soldiers in danger by cutting off funds? That's something I suspect most, if not all Republicans would do, but not Democrats. Democrats wanted to bring the soldiers home to protect them. This is why they wouldn't cut soldiers funds.

It's no accident that it's the Democrats who want to provided soldiers with health care, mental health care, the GI bill and other benefits we believe they earned by serving. Most, if not all Republicans don't believe those things. We all know it.

You are so full of shit, your board-name should be "Port-o-Let".

Im not even going to comment, b/c it will fall on deaf & dumb ears. :eusa_hand:

The book was about Bush, not McConnell. If you were actually being serious rdean, you would commend G.W. Bushs' integrity. But you can't bring yourself to do that because you're just a partisan hack.

The book was about Bush, not McConnell. If you were actually being serious rdean, you would commend G.W. Bushs' integrity. But you can't bring yourself to do that because you're just a partisan hack.

Its an impossible thought for him.

He's too far gone.

Makes me feel even better about GW.... He didnt care about politics when it came to national defense.

Thanks Rdean....

I mean really.... you keep dragging up these dumb things and dropping them on the doorstep of USMB and then you sit there and meow....

He didn't care about the Iraqi Christians either. From 1.4 million to 400,000. Where did they go? Not here. There weren't allowed to come here. We ruined their lives. But I'm stupid and your smart. Only I have a soul and a conscience.

You don't really miss what you never had.

Thanks Rdean....

He didn't care about the Iraqi Christians either. From 1.4 million to 400,000. Where did they go? Not here. There weren't allowed to come here. We ruined their lives. But I'm stupid and your smart. Only I have a soul and a conscience.

You don't really miss what you never had.

and Clinton didnt care about Iraqi Kurds. I never once heard her say anything in support of them. What hypocrites the Dems are!

The Washington Monthly

Check my sig line.

It's no accident that it's the Democrats who want to provide soldiers with health care, mental health care, the GI bill and other benefits we believe they earned by serving. Most, if not all Republicans don't believe those things. We all know it.

You dear are a TOOL.:lol:

The Washington Monthly

Key phrase: "IF the story is true....."

I find it despicable when people use our war dead for political point scoring. Shame on you.

And I thought Mitch was Bush's bitch.
Turns out Mitch has his own variety of evil.

And since senior senators take the new incoming freshmen under their wing this will prove interesting to see how Rand responds to this type of politics.

Last edited:

The Washington Monthly

I find it despicable when people use our war dead for political point scoring. Shame on you.

Bush is only reporting the fact: McConnel wanted bush to Begin withdrawing SOME troops from Iraq to improve the political position of R's during the mid-term 2006 election.

Recall there was the low-key "withdrawl of combat troops" from Iraq this past August, 2010, which didn't help D's at all.

The question of the defensability of McConnel's Position is a little desperate at this point: Who Cares?...except for partisan hacks like rdean?

STupid wars of empire.

Both parties are responsible for them.

We pay for them, our children die in them and a very small select group of people worldwide get rich because of them.

STupid wars of empire.

We pay for them, our children die in them and a very small select group of people worldwide get rich because of them.

You're a fucking lying dooshbag piece of shit. WHo cares what you think?

STupid wars of empire.

Now the REAL purpose for the thread emerges: A feeble platform for Edwin Starr wannabees to take the karaoke stage.

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all

War, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me

Ohhh, war, I despise
Because it means destruction
Of innocent lives

War means tears
To thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go to fight
And lose their lives

STupid wars of empire.

You're a fucking lying dooshbag piece of shit. WHo cares what you think?

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. But I'm sure the feeling in mutual.

But as a matter of fact, the Democrats in Congress were just a responsible as the President for the invasion and occuapation of Iraq. We do have to pay for them, and our children not only die in them but they also come back horribly mamed and damaged as well.

If the Democrats are the Party of "Fuck You" then
the Republicans are the Party of "Fuck You and Die"
End if.

The Washington Monthly

It's in Bush's book. If it's NOT true, don't you think Mitch might have said something by now?

The Washington Monthly

It's in Bush's book. If it's NOT true, don't you think Mitch might have said something by now?

images

Forum List

Back