Wow! France...Wow.....France Gets It Right?

gop_jeff said:
False dichotomy.

The vast majority of straight couples who seek to adopt are loving people who want to raise their kids right. Meanwhile, all homosexual couples who seek to adopt are, by definition, seeking to instill in those children the false idea that homosexuality is normal and natural.[/QUOTE]

First of all, that's a pretty general statement. What if the homosexual couple explains the situation and encourages the child to be who he is and not who they or society want him to be? If the parents explain how they differ and speak to the child about following his own heart, they are not instilling those values in him.

And what if there are no straight parents to adopt a child? If there were enough of them to go around, we wouldn't have to have foster homes.

On a side note, I'd just like to make one point clear. The reason why this issue bothers me so much is because I can't fathom how people need to pick at and scrutinize sexuality when there are so many other "evils" in society that are much more important and that effect the lives of others dramatically. To me, murder and crime carry more weight than someone's gayness. If the energy that anti-gay supporters have could be channeled into something that TRULY benefits society, we'd probably be living in a utopian society.

gop_jeff said:
False dichotomy.

The vast majority of straight couples who seek to adopt are loving people who want to raise their kids right. Meanwhile, all homosexual couples who seek to adopt are, by definition, seeking to instill in those children the false idea that homosexuality is normal and natural.

Tit for tat...The vast majority of same-gender couples who seek to adopt are loving people who want to raise their kids right. And, while you're at it, provide some documented and independently verifiable evidence that that homosexuality is abnormal and un-natural.

Conservatives can't provide any evidence that homosexuality isn't natural or normal because it is. There are homosexual animals, for example this story http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-06-10/591.asp There have been homosexual people since people existed. Alexander the Great, the most successful general in the history of the planet was a gay man. As for the issue of gay parent families, there is no, and I mean no evidence that kids from gay families have any more problems than those from straight families. I have several good friends who raised by single mothers and one who raised by a lesbian couple, in all cases, the parents made sure that good male role models were provided, most often a male relative like an uncle or grandfather that spent signficant time with them as they grew up.

France is a largely Roman Catholic country, and right now the legislature is controlled by conservatives, so naturally the members of the group making these recommendations are going to reflect the conservatism of the legislature.

acludem

acludem said:
France is a largely Roman Catholic country, and right now the legislature is controlled by conservatives, so naturally the members of the group making these recommendations are going to reflect the conservatism of the legislature.

Which, in turn, reflects the will of the French people, correct?

Representative government is a GOOD thing, correct?

musicman said:
Which, in turn, reflects the will of the French people, correct?

Representative government is a GOOD thing, correct?

Righto. Chirac did'nt win the majority the first time around, during the last election. His major opposition was Le Pin(head) who was recently blamed for the recent rioting through his remarks about immigrants in the suburbs - or at least his comments didn't help the situation. Chirac also has the power to disolve parliament, so, you know what that means. I wonder if free votes are commone within the French parliament?

Jacques Chirac is a conservative (though by Republican-US standards he'd be center-left). The guy he faced in the runoff was a neofascist. Chirac was re-elected in a landslide because everyone except the neofascists voted for Chirac, included people far to his left.

What the majority of the people think isn't always what should be done - or do you think Hitler was right to try and exterminate Jews and other "undesirables" during his regime, since that's what represented the views of the majority of Germans at that time.

acludem

acludem said:
Jacques Chirac is a conservative (though by Republican-US standards he'd be center-left). The guy he faced in the runoff was a neofascist. Chirac was re-elected in a landslide because everyone except the neofascists voted for Chirac, included people far to his left.

What the majority of the people think isn't always what should be done

So, what's your alternative?

acludem said:
- or do you think Hitler was right to try and exterminate Jews and other "undesirables" during his regime, since that's what represented the views of the majority of Germans at that time.

:sleep: Your tactics remain weak, tired, and transparent.

The alternative is what we practice in the United States of America - Representative Democracy - that is rule by majority with protection for the minority. Absolute majority rule (with no protection for the minority)is called Fascism, which I gather is the type of government you'd like instituted in the U.S.

acludem

acludem said:
The alternative is what we practice in the United States of America - Representative Democracy - that is rule by majority with protection for the minority. Absolute majority rule (with no protection for the minority)is called Fascism, which I gather is the type of government you'd like instituted in the U.S.

acludem

Actually it's a constitutional republic with rights for all people equally under the law.

acludem said:
That's two different ways of saying the same thing, my friend :beer:

acludem

No. You said "protections for minorities". Rights go to all individuals regardless of population sector.

Forum List

Back