Wow! DC's Barry For Arming the Victims

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
You just never know from where or when!

http://www.examiner.com/a-573391~Fr...so_a_right.html?cid=all-hp-featured_editorial

Editorial
Freedom from fear is also a right

The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper, The Examiner
Feb 19, 2007 3:00 AM (8 hrs ago)
Current rank: # 20 of 13,522 articles
WASHINGTON - District residents have been the guinea pigs in a failed 30-year-old experiment in social engineering. Three decades of strict gun control laws have not made the capital city’s streets safer. On the contrary, since 1976, D.C.’s murder rate has increased 32 percent, and violent crimes committed during the first few weeks of 2007 by gun-wielding thugs are up a staggering 50 percent over the same period last year.

None other than former Mayor Marion Barry, now representing Ward 8 on the D.C. Council, is waving the white flag of surrender by introducing legislation to provide potential victims a limited window of opportunity to arm themselves in self defense. “We are in the midst of a gun-violence epidemic,” Barry said. Everybody but the criminals are abiding by the city’s gun control laws [which] have long been among the toughest in the nation. Not only are District residents forbidden from owning firearms not registered before 1977, they must also keep legal rifles and shotguns at home, unloaded, disassembled and useless against an armed intruder.

Barry deserves credit for stating the obvious, considering that most city officials shrink from accounting for the 2,656 illegal firearms recovered last year by the Metropolitan Police Department — weapons current gun control laws were supposed to keep out of the city.

Every few years they have this deal call cash for guns, it is really a great thing because you can steal firearms and then trade them in for cash and it is a revovling door in the crime market in D.C. What bothers me is that our capitol is only safe in the tourist areas. Outside that and you risk you life and our capitol should be the safety place in the world!

Every few years they have this deal call cash for guns, it is really a great thing because you can steal firearms and then trade them in for cash and it is a revovling door in the crime market in D.C. What bothers me is that our capitol is only safe in the tourist areas. Outside that and you risk you life and our capitol should be the safety place in the world!

Not this time, he's coming out saying that only the criminals have guns! He noticed?!

Marion Barry, is an idiot who has used the system and even wen he was caught doing wrong still weaseled hi s way out of it. He got caught a few weeks back failing to file his income taxes. Like the IRS isn't going to notice? He is no leader in D.C. or in any of the wards he gives good folks a bad name.

Just add more guns!

If regular people were actually violent at all, there would probably be fights and assaults at clubs, events, parties, actually everywhere. Whew.

I'm sure the police will happier too, now they can relax - the citizens are on patrol!

Why limit my nature walk to DC? Don't I have great odds of getting shot in any city?

We all do, point is the topic of Washington D.C. I haven't heard any other cities spout off like that lately other than New Orleans, but they are destined to remain as they have for hundreds of years. I can bet in our life time that New Orleans will be the center of attention again because of failures they won't address.

it is a shit hole.

walking through a shit hole should make me rethink my sarcastic argument that adding more guns is always a good idea?

I think I'd feel even worse knowing everybody was armed, in fact every time I heard a heated argument I'd have to dive behind a building or at least assasinate the arguer (just in case). Sort of a pre-emptive debate moderation.

Adding guns is never a good idea. I support the right to bear arms in the United States! I own several guns and they are for home protection and recreation such as target practice. Our laws are so twisted and the law makers have protected the criminals. So they can run amuck and do as they please. Marion Barry carries a gun everywhere and does he need it? No he carries it because he can.

Adding guns is never a good idea. I support the right to bear arms in the United States! I own several guns and they are for home protection and recreation such as target practice. Our laws are so twisted and the law makers have protected the criminals. So they can run amuck and do as they please. Marion Barry carries a gun everywhere and does he need it? No he carries it because he can.

Great, can you guarantee your guns won't be stolen? Used in a homicide?
Do you target practice in a dark home? You must if you practice for home protection...

On a different note, have you ever been invaded, broken into, etc? Was that a catalyst for getting some protection, or do you know people who've been victimized? (read this last bit as honest questions, not an argument set-up,:)

just run over me already!!!!!
I have guns and for the sake of the discussion: what do you classify as guns?
No I haven't been invaded or hadsome knucklehead break into my home ever. Why because I have a mean ass German Sheppard and I have guns and it is a known fact.
Would my guns get used in a crime? Sure they could but I can assure you this that if they were the trouble to get my guns would be worthless. It would have to be a very determined individual wanting some sort of payback

That's good you've never been invaded, and the german sheppard seeems like protection enough!

You live in a different situation than I, and deal with more fear I believe, so I can't really put myself in your place here... maybe I would be a gun owner in a different life... who knows.

That's good you've never been invaded, and the german sheppard seeems like protection enough!

You live in a different situation than I, and deal with more fear I believe, so I can't really put myself in your place here... maybe I would be a gun owner in a different life... who knows.

Owning a gun doesn't make the person. I have guns because I respect them, and I like to shoot at targets. Maybe use my .22 to shoot a few squirrels to eat. I don't have to walk out on my porch and show off my shotgun, although lately I feel I might need too so my point is made. I have a safe and my guns aren't loaded. I own a very old shotgun, 1944 .22 rifle and a .357 colt trooper. I don't boast about my weapons and some might but it s my right to own guns and I have them. All the what if's well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Having a gun is like a hobby of sorts if you played rugby how would you explain to the skeptics that it was harmless fun? Well you can get hurt in rugby much like you can with a firearm these are risks in life. I use responsibility and that is why I haven't gotten hurt today. And if you live in more fear than I, then I'd ask why do you continue to except that way of life?

If you lived in Kennesaw, GA you would.

Kennesaw has the lowest crime rate of any similar-sized city in the country.

In 1982 the Kennesaw city council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to possess a firearm to protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants. Some said there would be shootings in the streets and violence in the homes. But that wasn't the case.

Since the ordinance became law, crime has declined 89% in Kennesaw while only declining 10% statewide. According to Robert Jones, president of the Kennesaw Historical Society, after it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years.

http://publicrights.org/Kennesaw/GunsPreventCrime.html

Having a gun is like a hobby of sorts if you played rugby how would you explain to the skeptics that it was harmless fun? Well you can get hurt in rugby much like you can with a firearm these are risks in life. I use responsibility and that is why I haven't gotten hurt today. And if you live in more fear than I, then I'd ask why do you continue to except that way of life?

I agree it's about the person, not the object.
To the rest of your post, I can't agree on the rugby comparison, as it's tough for me to go on a tackling spree... but the last question:
"And if you live in more fear than I, then I'd ask why do you continue to except that way of life?"

I don't live in fear at all, that's all I meant. We have a different life situation. SO I was just saying as anti-gun as I am, walking a mile in another's shoes migh change my opinion.

I've used certain male examples that you dismiss are you a man or a women, fess up now. You like to use as much vague talk as possible in your post and I'm just curious what the deal is. See debating is not my strongest point of who I am, I have tried to be a good sport in many of these. I will give you some credit I've actually tried to think from the other side. The old Indian proverb of walking in anothers shoes for one moon.

So what is the answer of cure to high crime without violating others rights? That is the question for you.

Forum List

Back