Wow! Daughter of Slave votes for Obama

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Daughter of slave votes for Obama

Amanda Jones, 109, the daughter of a man born into slavery, has lived a life long enough to touch three centuries. And after voting consistently as a Democrat for 70 years, she has voted early for the country's first black presidential nominee.

The middle child of 13, Jones, who is African American, is part of a family that has lived in Bastrop County for five generations. The family has remained a fixture in Cedar Creek and other parts of the county, even when its members had to eat at segregated barbecue dives and walk through the back door while white customers walked through the front, said Amanda Jones' 68-year-old daughter, Joyce Jones.

Amanda Jones' father urged her to exercise her right to vote, despite discriminatory practices at the polls and poll taxes meant to keep black and poor people from voting. Those practices were outlawed for federal elections with the 24th Amendment in 1964, but not for state and local races in Texas until 1966.

Amanda Jones says she cast her first presidential vote for Franklin Roosevelt, but she doesn't recall which of his four terms that was. When she did vote, she paid a poll tax, her daughters said. That she is able, for the first time, to vote for a black presidential nominee for free fills her with joy, Jones said.

A amazing story and a good reminder of how far we've come as a country.

She voted as a Democrat for 70 years, even before the Civil Rights movement?

She is an African American, wowzer! Who'd have thunk? I was looking for the white slaves. *yawn*

Sorry, not much there, there with the biased site, but good story, I did read.

She voted for FDR, so yes I would assume so.

Good for her!

From FDR's discussion of the Caribbean Islands during the bases for destroyers swap in the summer of 1940:

I told Winston, listen Winston, those places are nothing but a headache to you – you know that. They cost the British Treasury five million pounds – nearly 25 million dollars - every year. They are nothing but a headache. If you think I want your headaches, you are mistaken. I don’t. Furthermore those places are inhabited by some 8 million dark-skinned gentlemen and I don’t want them coming to the United States and adding to the problem we already have with our 13 million black men. I tell you, Winston, it’s just a headache and you can keep it.
FDR 1940

Daughter of slave votes for Obama

A amazing story and a good reminder of how far we've come as a country.

It is a wonderful story-- but not just a reminder for black women but all women-- ALL women were given the right to vote 20 years after the black man. All women were required to pay a poll tax not just black women. Women in general have been repressed.

Thank god ALL women were granted the right to vote through suffrage.

TENNESSEE HOUSE FIGHTS ON.; Rejects Poll Tax on Women Voters --All Ratification Papers Mailed.

September 5, 1920, Sunday
TENNESSEE HOUSE FIGHTS ON.; Rejects Poll Tax on Women Voters --All Rat... - Article Preview - The New York Times

I'm using up all my tissues, dude. Are you one of his too , Robert ? Have you prostrated yourself before you king ? Is there a black Camelot ?

:rolleyes: Well I can see you've moved from Messiah to King.

I can see how spiteful and hateful some of you people are against Obama on here.

Honestly, there is such a great story but all you want to do is point out the flaws supposedly of voting Democrat, her age, bringing white slaves in this, and how it's a biased site.

Simply amazing the behavior by some of you on here.

I can see how spiteful and hateful some of you people are against Obama on here.

Honestly, there is such a great story but all you want to do is point out the flaws supposedly of voting Democrat, her age, bringing white slaves in this, and how it's a biased site.

You are only 17, but way more mature than a lot of these kiddo's on here Robert. You care about your future, and stand firm in what you believe in, and don't back down. I admire you for that.

I love how the so called "non partisan" people love to put Obama down, but not McCain or Palin for some reason. You posted a touching story about a lady voting, and get slammed for it.

Thank you for posting this Robert, it was a great read!

You are only 17, but way more mature than a lot of these kiddo's on here Robert. You care about your future, and stand firm in what you believe in, and don't back down. I admire you for that.

I love how the so called "non partisan" people love to put Obama down, but not McCain or Palin for some reason. You posted a touching story about a lady voting, and get slammed for it.

Thank you for posting this Robert, it was a great read!

Well thank you very much Echo.

And I'm glad you enjoyed reading the story. I thought it was simply amazing and a symbol of how much we've changed as a country in just this one woman's lifetime.

It is a great story, but Obama has nothing to do with slavery. His mother was white and his dad from Kenya. So no connection.

Forum List

Back