WOW -- 9 Shocking Before & After Pictures Of Joplin, Missouri

It makes you just numb inside along with pain for those who went through this.
Im' praying for all of them.

They are following a huge tornado. Double image of the weather guy in OK and a storm tracker following it on the road.. They took a commercial break but will return to the story.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Oklahoma twisters claim lives...
:shock:
Monster tornadoes rip through Okla., demolish houses, cars
24 May`11 - At least 4 people dead, numerous injuries; extensive damage reported
Powerful tornadoes tore through parts of Oklahoma on Tuesday, obliterating houses, splintering trees and tossing cars off highways. At least four people were killed and numerous others injured. Television footage in the aftermath of the storms showed remnants of homes and buildings strewn across roads and fields. One car wound up wrapped around a tree. A 3-year-old child was reported missing in the rubble of a home in Piedmont, a suburban area northwest of Oklahoma City. The child's mother and two children were injured and taken to the hospital after trying to ride the storm out in a bathtub, NBC station KFOR TV reported.

The Oklahoma medical examiner's office said at least four people were killed in the Oklahoma-city area. In Canadian County in western Oklahoma, Emergency Management Director Jerry Smith told msnbc.com that there were also "numerous" injuries when the storm hit El Reno and Piedmont west of Oklahoma City. He said the twister flipped over several vehicles with people inside. “We have damage and we have people out doing surveys to get a handle on where the damage is,” Smith said. “We are in the process of trying to make arrangements for shelters and to get people some assistance.”

gss-110524-oklahoma-twitpic-01.grid-6x2.jpg

Two storms raked the southern side of the city — in the same area hit May 3, 1999, by the strongest tornado ever recorded. Spokeswoman Lara O'Leary of the region's Emergency Medical Service Authority said there was a report of a gas explosion near El Reno and that emergency workers were dispatched. The tornado caused "extensive damage" in El Reno, a town of about 15,000 people, said Rick Smith, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Norman. "There are numerous trucks and cars overturned along Interstate 40," he said.

A semi-truck on Interstate 81 also blew over and was left a twisted wreck alongside the road. The driver of the truck was taken to the hospital and was in critical condition, KFOR reported. A helicopter from KFOR of Oklahoma City tracked one storm as it slammed the McClain County town of Goldsby, south of Norman, and plowed across farmland beyond. As the copter’s camera zoomed in on one obliterated house, a family emerged from a storm shelter. The foundation was the only thing recognizable, with a debris field spreading away from it. A large propane tank in the middle of the debris could be seen hissing gas. An overturned vehicle lay nearby.

More Twisters claim lives, toss cars in Okla. - Weather - msnbc.com

See also:

Deadly tornado kills 124, leaves 'twilight zone' in its wake
May 25, 2011 -- Roughly 8,000 structures sustained damage within the city of Joplin; 750 people have been treated at area hospitals and an estimated 1,500 people are still unaccounted for; The Sunday tornado was an EF-5 storm with top winds of more than 200 mph; President Obama plans to visit Missouri Sunday
The tornado that struck Joplin, Missouri, Sunday killed 124 people, authorities said Tuesday, in what was the deadliest single U.S. tornado since modern record-keeping began 61 years ago. An estimated 750 people have been treated at area hospitals, said Joplin City Manager Mark Rohr, who told residents of the tornado-ravaged town to be prepared in case a new wave of dangerous storms strikes later Tuesday. On a brighter note, rescue workers pulled two more people alive from the rubble within the last 24 hours, Rohr said.

Also Tuesday, forecasters raised their assessment of the Sunday storm, ranking it at the top of the scale used to rate tornadoes. The National Weather Service has determined the twister packed top winds of more than 200 mph, making it a 5 on the enhanced Fujita scale, said Bill Davis, the meteorologist who reviewed the damage. Davis said the tornado left "about six miles of total destruction" in its wake. Examinations of some of the buildings destroyed or damaged convinced forecasters to raise the designation, he said.

Roughly 8,000 structures within the city of Joplin sustained damaged, Rohr said, citing a Federal Emergency Management Agency report. A previous estimate had put the number of buildings damaged or destroyed at 2,000. Among the dead in Joplin were 10 residents and a staff member at a nursing home, a company official said. Two other staffers at Greenbriar Nursing Home are in critical condition at a hospital, said the home's vice president, Bill Mitchell. Of the other 79 residents of the home, all but one are accounted for, he said. Only rubble remains and survivors have been moved to temporary housing or are with family members.

"It just looks like a war zone," said Eddie Atwood in a CNN iReport from the scene. From where he stood, Atwood said, "You could see all the way to the horizon because all the houses and all the trees were just leveled." "I was walking down Main Street. Everything was so razed over, it was disorienting because some of the streets -- you couldn't even tell where you were at. After living in Joplin all my life it was like living in the twilight zone." Joplin may not be in the clear yet as far as weather goes: The National Weather Service warned there is a chance of another tornado outbreak -- with the peak time ending at midnight Tuesday -- over a wide swath including parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska and Missouri.

More Deadly tornado kills 124, leaves 'twilight zone' in its wake - CNN.com

Last edited:
What is with all these deadly tornadoes lately??
Does anyone recall a few weeks back, where the tornadoes hit Alabama and Mississippi and Tennessee??
That was my area, in Tennessee...one of the biggest devastations was less than 8 miles from me, we lost 34 people in our state. Alabama was hit hardest~

I agree syrenn. My God, the terrible losses. When the tornadoes hit down this way, people in my area were finding newspapers and checks from Birmingham, Alabama....over 200 miles away!
Jesus, it's bad enuff to lose everything they own, but to lose loved ones too.....it's sickening.

Proved to be a wild ride here in Central Oklahoma yesterday! Feeling lucky as hell, not much damage in my part other than plenty of downed power lines and broken tree limbs. Seen some crazy shit since I've lived here but these series of supercells had me nervous.

Proved to be a wild ride here in Central Oklahoma yesterday! Feeling lucky as hell, not much damage in my part other than plenty of downed power lines and broken tree limbs. Seen some crazy shit since I've lived here but these series of supercells had me nervous.

Glad to hear you are faring well.....I hope nobody has to deal with anymore tornadoes for a long while.

New Topics

Forum List

Back