would you watch a suicide

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by strollingbones, Dec 9, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    THESE shocking pictures reveal the moment a man kills himself at a suicide clinic in Switzerland.
    The chilling scenes show Craig Ewert, 59, who had motor neurone disease, setting a timer to switch off his ventilator before drinking lethal sedatives.

And it will all be broadcast on British TV tomorrow night.

Controversial

Mr Ewert's assisted suicide at the Swiss Dignitas clinic, was filmed for a documentary called Right To Die - The Suicide Tourist, to be shown on Sky Real Lives channel on Wednesday night.

Happy ... Ewert and wife before disease
    It will be the first time an assisted suicide has been shown on British TV and will be sure to spark debate over the legality of the sensitive subject - as well as the controversial decision to screen it.

The retired university professor and dad-of-two decided to end his life as his illness was crippling his body.

Mr Ewert said: 'I am tired of the disease but I am not tired of living. I still enjoy life enough that I would like to continue but the thing is that I really cannot.

'If I opt for life then that is choosing to be tortured rather than end this journey and start the next one. I cannot take the risk.

'Let's face it, when you're completely paralysed and cannot talk how do you let somebody know you are suffering? This could be a complete and utter hell.

'You can watch only so much of yourself drain away before you look at what is left and say "This is an empty shell."

'Once I become completely paralysed then I am nothing more than a living tomb that takes in nutrients through a tube in the stomach - it's painful.'

‘ Let's face it, when you're completely paralysed and cannot talk how do you let somebody know you are suffering? ’
    Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland and Mr Ewert passed away peacefully holding his wife, Mary's hand.

But TV watchdogs have slammed the decision to broadcast the scenes.

John Beyer director of Mediawatch UK said:'This subject is something that is quite an important political issue at the moment and my anxieties are that the programme will influence public opinion.

'If this programme is not impartial and promotes euthanasia then it would be in breach of the act - in short it must not influence members of the public or a change in the law.'

Mr Ewert paid the Dignitas clinic £3,000 for the suicide, cremation and to ship his ashes back to the UK.

The people involved in making the film, including Oscar-winning director John Zaritsky, were all affected by the traumatic job.

Co-producer Terence McKeown said: 'It was an incredibly difficult experience for all of us. I think we’ve all suffered a bit of post-traumatic stress from it.

'It was profound and stayed with all of us, more so because we spent the previous few days with Craig, travelled with him to Zurich and got to know him quite well.

'He should have been able to do it at his home. He argued that it is quite inhumane to force people in various states of illness to go to a little apartment in a foreign city to die.'

Man's death to be shown on TV | The Sun |News

your thoughts, would you watch?

2. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    In this case, no.

If he were someone I loved and he wanted me to be there, yes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think it's wrong for the media to put it on TV to begin with. How long before the suicidal or faux suicidal folk decide this is a way to get attention? Certainly not going to cut down on attempts.

4. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Assuming it has been pre-viewed by MediaWatch and found to be factual and not taking a political position, then I think it should be shown, ideally after about 10pm.

I don't think I could bring myself to watch it though.

5. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I support this man's right to choose when he will end his life. I do not support it being shown on television.

6. Makedde

Makedde BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hope all the people agains euthanasia watch it. I hope they listen to this man describe his life and hopefully they will find some ounce of compassion and understand why people would want to end their lives, instead of expecting us all to suffer until our natural death.

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Yes it was shown on tv here last night.While I support the right to die for certain individuals I couldn't bring myself to watch the man die in the name of entertainment.There is an ever growing lobby pushing for the right to assist in the suicides of those loved ones who wish it without fear of prosecution.It is a contentious and emotional issue which in my opinion warrants debate at the highest government level.I hope I never find myself in such a position.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    Beckett said it best, the thing he didn't like about death was he wouldn't be able to enjoy it. But watching death, like watching birth is a natural thing, both messy and more of a concern to loved ones. Legally I see no reason a person could not choose to die, cognizant of their final moment. And slippery slope nonsense is out of place in death unless you're some sort of fanatic.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    If people want to end their lives they can do it the old fashioned way...with a gun, hanging, or an overdose. Overdose on acetaminofen wait 72 hours...nobody can reverse or stop your death. It might take a couple of weeks, but you will die, I promise.

But inviting doctors in to help with the decision is a HUMONGOUS mistake.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No.