Would You Support The Reintroduction of Corporal Punishment in Schools?

Would You Support The Reintroduction of Corporal Punishment in Schools?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

At my grade school the principle had a ping pong paddle. the guy was a bit of wuss and it had the sting of a flea bite. Lots of guys were proud of getting disciplined. Made them look cool they thought. It had the deterrent effect of a "Kick me" sign.

i was pointing out rite of passage vs right of passage.

it's not like the kids have to pay 1 dollar to the teachers to be able to enter the yard.

I am surprised that there are so many yes votes. Do those people mean that they want their children going to school under the threat of physical punishment? or just 'other people's children'.

and at what age would the cutoff be? and how many times would CP be meted out before it was acknowledged that it was ineffective for a particular child?

Learning that there can be a negative outcome as a reult of one's actions is as crucial as love and nuture in a child's development. The departure from a physical measure to deter disruptive behaviour in the classroom seems to have manifested itself in the situation faced by teachers across the western world today. They find themselves unable to cope with unruly children who know that their teachers and supervisors' hands are tied when it comes to effectively sanctioning selfish, violent and ultimately disruptive behaviour.

I shall give you a personal example of when and where such a measure would be acceptable.

When I was in school my friends and I were caught firing marbles from a homemade catapult/slingshot at the groundskeeper's tractor. The groundskeeper yelled at us to stop, but my friends dared me to do it again once his back was turned. I did it again but this time hit and shattered the small windshield. I was taken by the groundskeeper to the headmaster who told me that as a result of my actions I would be caned. I knew instantly that I'd crossed a line and that I was going to be dealt with - I was going to be harmed by an adult that wasn't my parent. I began to cry profusely. I was forced to hold out my downturned hands, and I recieved six hard strokes of the cane. I was 10-years-old, and I still remember the pain to this day. I didn't dare risk damaging school property from that day after. True, I was caned a total of four times throughout my time in primary and secondary education, but they certainly sharpened my focus nonetheless (although two occasions were miscarriages of justice, I accept them as collateral damage incurred towards achieving a positive).

So, in light of what I've listed and recounted, what are your views and/or opinions on the reintroduction of corporal punishment to the classroom?

Can we paddle Congressman who interrupt speeches?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgce06Yw2ro]GOP Rep. to Obama: 'You Lie!' - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back