Would you support renewable no matter what the climate does?

Ameren is planning to construct a new high-voltage power line across the state of Illinois.

Ameren to run $1 billion power line through Mount Zion; community meeting planned

The Illinois Rivers project will involve stringing 330 miles of 345,000 volt transmission lines from West Adair, Mo., to Sugar Creek, Ind.

I went to one of their informational meetings. Off the bat, it was evident that they are setting themselves up to take advantage of the Illinois Renewable Electricity Mandate Status.

Institute for Energy Research | Illinois Renewable Electricity Mandate Status

The gal next to me said "what about Illinois coal"?

I said "what about Illinois natural gas"?

No comment.
Did You have a chance to get into the load demand and power factor problems residential consumers are to the power grid. Many people won`t believe it that they not the industry are the biggest problem.
For example what I wrote before about air conditioners. How much less of a load they are, yet perform almost 3 times better if You install a small water spray nozzle on the (hot) compression side.
I can`t make a video about it right now because in Manitoba it`s -6 C right now and forecast to drop to -13C tomorrow. But in the other video I posted earlier You can see that a 600 Watt AC draws 416 Watts (rms) if the compression side is at 18 C and sucks back already 560 watts if the compression heat exchanger warmed up to 34 C.

Even at moderately hot days Your average window mounted AC heats up to 40 C on the compression side (the outside)...and if You install a small water spray nozzle it`s no problem to keep the compression loop at or below 18 C.The spray nozzles I use during the summer use about .5 liters per minute and my AC delivers ice cold air even on extremely hot & humid days at about 1/3.rd the name plate rating.
Imagine if everybody in Chicago would do the same...I doubt Illinois would be pressed to run more power lines...but even during the winter the compression loop at the rear of every fridge can cause excessive and totally unnecessary power to be sucked back. Look at the kitchen designs that are the most popular today:
Paneled-Built-In-Refrigerator-Traditional-Kitchen-Design.jpg

The compression loop heat at the rear of these "nice" cabinet mounted fridges has virtually no place to go...and often they are mounted right next to ovens or other appliances that sure as hell don`t help getting rid of the compression heat, which forces the refrigerant compressor motor to work against almost twice the pressure as it would with an "ugly" old fashioned fridge. Too bad interior decorators know so little about physics but seem to know everything when "man made global warming" or my "carbon foot print" is discussed. No amount of "renewable energy" can compensate for this kind of stupidity.
I wonder what Obama`s kitchen in the White-house looks like..are the fridges installed like these energy sucking power grid "brownies":
backBannerClub.jpg

Or does it look like as old fashioned as that:
fridge.jpg

At least the heat generated behind that old fridge has some place to go...and that old fridge runs way more power efficient than the modern "designer kitchen "crap even if this new upscale crap with digital controls...which serve no real useful purposes and are mostly just for show and are a good sales pitch to reel in gullible consumers.
So using common sense with just AC`s and fridges I`m pretty sure Chicago could do just fine with the energy supply they presently have. I wonder how many fridges and AC`s are in Illinois...I drove by the wind mill farm lots of time when I bypassed Chicago and with a little common sense people could save way more energy than that wind mill farm REALISTICALLY produces...not what it`s rated for..!!!
I drive a V8 Ford van and I bet my "carbon foot print" is lower that some Yuppie`s who drives a Chevy Volt

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back