Would You Support A Sheriff Like Joe Arpaio in Your Town?

So, NRA, if he is THAT bad, how come he has such a high approval rating among the people of Maricopa County and continues to be re-elected again and again and again with huge majorities?

Just what do 'high' approval ratings and getting re-elected have to do with the honesty or character of a political figure, eh? All Joe's re-election demonstrates is the collective poor judgement and perhaps just plain viciousness of the Maricopa County folk.

So, NRA, if he is THAT bad, how come he has such a high approval rating among the people of Maricopa County and continues to be re-elected again and again and again with huge majorities?

Just what do 'high' approval ratings and getting re-elected have to do with the honesty or character of a political figure, eh? All Joe's re-election demonstrates is the collective poor judgement and perhaps just plain viciousness of the Maricopa County folk.

Did you read my thread about wanting to kill that 15 year old boy? Notice how I said that I would have no problem doing life in prison, but if I lived in Arizona and had to face Sheriff Joe, that I wouldn't do it? Interesting that no one seemed to see that and mention it. In fact, Sheriff Joe's policies ARE a deterrent to crime. I know it would deter me.

So he must be really good to fool them for twenty years.

So you know better than the people who live there? Why don't you tell them that. I really, really want to watch this happen.

:popcorn:

Yes, if you don't like him and the majority of people in Maricopa County do, that obviously means THEY are ignorant and mean, not that YOU might be wrong. :eusa_whistle:

SFC Ollie, I understand how you feel. Cleveland has just incarcerated a long time sherriff here for fraud and various other misdeeds, and there's a rumbling that people awaiting trial or subject to arrest were given preferential treatment if they paid, etc. Believe me, as an older lady living alone, crime scares me shitless and I am not unduly sympathetic to prisoners.

But bear in mind, the people in a county jail are (for the most part) not yet found guilty. I don't have the same anger towards them as I do people in a state prison.....and I tend to agree with Zona. Arapgio seems to me to be way to interested in grandstanding and hardly my idea of a penalogist.

Most all jails now lease out space to others states, so most all jail prisoner are serving a sentence, most of the one not found guilty yet are out on bail.

Those are facts, Zona wants nothing to do with them.

You want facts? Arpaio built his tent city because he was arresting people he suspected of being illegal immigrants and not turning them over to ICE, not because he was renting space out to other jurisdictions. He might be popular, but he is a complete fuckwad and does not deserve the support of any self respecting conservative.

Most all jails now lease out space to others states, so most all jail prisoner are serving a sentence, most of the one not found guilty yet are out on bail.

Those are facts, Zona wants nothing to do with them.

You want facts? Arpaio built his tent city because he was arresting people he suspected of being illegal immigrants and not turning them over to ICE, not because he was renting space out to other jurisdictions. He might be popular, but he is a complete fuckwad and does not deserve the support of any self respecting conservative.
I doubt he has it.

Yes, if you don't like him and the majority of people in Maricopa County do, that obviously means THEY are ignorant and mean, not that YOU might be wrong. :eusa_whistle:

Given the easily available factual data regarding Joe's corrupt and criminal activity the logical conclusions DO speak ill of the Maricopa County electorate which tolerates him.

So you know better than the people who live there? Why don't you tell them that. I really, really want to watch this happen.

Already been in town & done that. I do bidness with some folks there. They're selling & I'm buying soooooo they damn well sit still and listen while I tell them whats what regarding fuckwad Joe.

Already been in town & done that. I do bidness with some folks there. They're selling & I'm buying soooooo they damn well sit still and listen while I tell them whats what regarding fuckwad Joe.

Sure you do, we believe you. And if I were there and had voted for him and you were coming to my business talking shit, we wouldn't be doing any business.

Given the easily available factual data regarding Joe's corrupt and criminal activity the logical conclusions DO speak ill of the Maricopa County electorate which tolerates him.

Really? Then perhaps you could share this alleged "factual data" rather than simply coming in here and spouting your opinions as though THEY are facts. I'm sure you won't be stunned to hear that your word for it carries all the weight of a puff of warm hydrogen with me.

I can see you're a mad business success, with social skills like that. Don't be surprised when they replace you with someone who isn't an arrogant, obnoxious gasbag.

I can see you're a mad business success, with social skills like that. Don't be surprised when they replace you with someone who isn't an arrogant, obnoxious gasbag.
It certainly won't be you.

Would I support the man? I don't know as it sounds like there is a lot of controversy here about him. Would I support those policies in the OP for convicted criminals, hell yes. Jails should not be giant black holes of funding. They should be miserable and run cheaply and efficiently. Why is that such a bad thing? I have no issues with pink clothing and hot tents. That is NOT inhumane by any stretch of the imagination. That is uncomfortable and that is all. Why do they need anything past a bologna sandwich? 3 square meals that have the nutrition that is required should be all that is offered. They do not need to eat better than people that have actual jobs do and they most certainly do not need to be offered food that tastes good. Cheap and healthy. That is all they should get.

Would I support the man? I don't know as it sounds like there is a lot of controversy here about him. Would I support those policies in the OP for convicted criminals, hell yes. Jails should not be giant black holes of funding. They should be miserable and run cheaply and efficiently. Why is that such a bad thing? I have no issues with pink clothing and hot tents. That is NOT inhumane by any stretch of the imagination. That is uncomfortable and that is all. Why do they need anything past a bologna sandwich? 3 square meals that have the nutrition that is required should be all that is offered. They do not need to eat better than people that have actual jobs do and they most certainly do not need to be offered food that tastes good. Cheap and healthy. That is all they should get.

I have long suspected that there are people who intentionally get put in jail here in Albuquerque. They get three excellent squares a day, extra snacks, big screen television including cable, and all sorts of books, magazines, table games, a reasonable comfortable bed, and air conditioning.

Okay even Bernalillo County detention wouldn't be a cup of tea any of us would want, but neither should it be a three-day or two week vacation either for those who are living with amenities that are that great. I'm all for jail or prison being a place where people are treated humanely, but it should also be uncomfortable and boring and a place folks would not want to return.

I have long suspected that there are people who intentionally get put in jail here in Albuquerque. They get three excellent squares a day, extra snacks, big screen television including cable, and all sorts of books, magazines, table games, a reasonable comfortable bed, and air conditioning.

Okay even Bernalillo County detention wouldn't be a cup of tea any of us would want, but neither should it be a three-day or two week vacation either for those who are living with amenities that are that great. I'm all for jail or prison being a place where people are treated humanely, but it should also be uncomfortable and boring and a place folks would not want to return.

Wow. I had no idea. You think jail is a vacation?

Read more carefully please, Sky Dancer. :) That is not what I said. I did err though and should have said that it shouldn't be a vacation for those living with amenties that AREN'T that great instead of are that great. (Most of my friends here have learned to decipher my typos. :))

Last edited:

Read more carefully please, Sky Dancer. :) That is not what I said.

You said you think people intentionally go to jail because of the great amenities they get there. You said jail shouldn't be a two or three week vacation. I don't think you've seen the inside of a jail. They're crowded, dangerous, they smell bad and the food stinks.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back