Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses?

Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses altogether?

• Total voters
Why is it so important for gays to have the use of the word marriage? My guess would be to force society to legitimize their lifestyle choice.

I firmly beileve that God does not apporve of a gay lifestyle. That being said they have every right to enter into civil unions if they want to share resources and protect their claims to those shared resources.

Not now nor ever will gays be married in the eyes of God and no matter how hard they push for society to legitimize their choice God will not. In rendering unto Ceaser what is Ceasers; if a state passes a law making any commitment between 2 consenting adults legally binding then I agree with it.

That is never going to be enough though is it.

Why is it so important for gays to have the use of the word marriage? My guess would be to force society to legitimize their lifestyle choice.

I firmly beileve that God does not apporve of a gay lifestyle. That being said they have every right to enter into civil unions if they want to share resources and protect their claims to those shared resources.

Not now nor ever will gays be married in the eyes of God and no matter how hard they push for society to legitimize their choice God will not. In rendering unto Ceaser what is Ceasers; if a state passes a law making any commitment between 2 consenting adults legally binding then I agree with it.

Eh, I just think they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. If they'd jump at the chance to get their foot in the door with civil unions, then within a generation it wouldn't be an issue. As for being recognized by churches, there will be plenty who will be happy to embrace them and tell them that their union is recognized under the eyes of God if that's their desire. I doubt it will ever be the Catholic church, but so what.

Yes. Marriage is a social institution that predates religion and government.

Why do two (or more) people need the government or a God to tell them that they are married?

So why are homosexuals agitating for precisely that?

Because you receive a plethora of federal and state benefits and privileges with "marriage".

Homos want equality. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Maybe because that is the word that is used? :eusa_eh:

Yes. Marriage is a social institution that predates religion and government.

Why do two (or more) people need the government or a God to tell them that they are married?

Because you receive a plethora of federal and state benefits and privileges with "marriage".

They understand. They don't want us to have equality and they are willing to pay lip service to eliminating civil marriage in order to prevent us from being considered equal in the eyes of the law.

You think it is a coincidence that these calls to keep government out of marriage popped up the same time we started working for legal gay marriage?

They understand. They don't want us to have equality and they are willing to pay lip service to eliminating civil marriage in order to prevent us from being considered equal in the eyes of the law.

You think it is a coincidence that these calls to keep government out of marriage popped up the same time we started working for legal gay marriage?

Do you think that people who have been arguing this for years retroactively became homophobic?

You should be aware that just because you never saw something before does not mean that it did not happen.

Honestly, I don't care what you think, kook.

i voted no i dont want to eliminate anything ALTOGETHER .nothing to do with religious views
but if it was worded differantly

Gays want to be considered normal even though less then 3 percent of the population is gay. They need to get over themselves and learn to live with what the MAJORITY wants. It is not a civil rights issue.

Civil Unions are what they should have, a marriage is religious in nature and should be left to the separate religions and denominations to determine who gets one.

The Government has a vested interest in marriages and unions. Get rid of Government Marriages and make everything Civil Unions. All the rights and privileges the GOVERNMENT grants under marriage currently should be granted under Civil Unions. If a couple wants a Marriage they can arrange that with what ever religion they happen to be.

This would be equality, but that is not what gays want, they want to force their lifestyle down everyone's throat and the politically correct are helping them.

What rights are gays being denied? You keep tripping on this issue. I point out, ad nauseam, that gays have exactly the same rights as straight people, no more no less. Many gays have actually been married at some time.
You are not oppressed. Get over it.

What rights are gays being denied? You keep tripping on this issue. I point out, ad nauseam, that gays have exactly the same rights as straight people, no more no less. Many gays have actually been married at some time.

If you think it's fair to say they have equal rights because they can marry the opposite sex same as everyone else, gay or straight, then it's also fair to say that they aren't seeking special rights. They're seeking to extend the right to marry a member of the same sex to all people, gay or straight.

If you think it's fair to say they have equal rights because they can marry the opposite sex same as everyone else, gay or straight, then it's also fair to say that they aren't seeking special rights. They're seeking to extend the right to marry a member of the same sex to all people, gay or straight.

Which is a right that no one has currently. Thus they are seeking extra rights.
Thanks!

You want equality over a sex act .

I've heard a lot of people say that government should get out of marriage altogether....so, for that to happen, the government would have to drop marriage licenses and all that entails....would you sign such a petition?

Hell yeah!!

Right now, every single last marriage starts off by paying a tax, or a fine.

It's only meaning to the state is married people get taxed less than single people. That's discrimination, and is in opposition to how welfare works. [single mothers get more than married ones]

If people want to have the advantages of married life, a church or chaple can provide the legal documents needed, but since libs think that's unconstitutional, we all get to suck it up and deal with proving we are married everytime we want something for our family.

:lol:

I've heard a lot of people say that government should get out of marriage altogether....so, for that to happen, the government would have to drop marriage licenses and all that entails....would you sign such a petition?

Yes I would sign it and vote for it immediately.

The govt should not be involved in marriage.

Marriage should not bring people any special privledges or burdens, through the govt, that non-married people dont have.

Do you mean change it from civil marriage licenses to civil union licenses??

No, get government out of the marriage business altogether, like some here have been advocating for a while (funny when that started...but that's another story for another thread)

so, that means changing the tax implications etc.?

Yes I would hope so. That would be ideal, no special tax breaks for people who choose to get married over those who choose not to....its only fair

Why must you criticize what I believe?

What next? Stifling of free speech?

I could care less what you believe - why do you care what I believe?

Are you one of those "caring and nurturing, free speech, fuck Bush" Liberals?

If so - seek a new User ID

It was a legitimate point...do churches decide custody in divorce cases today? No they do not. If government gets out of the marriage business, will churches pick up that job?

In my church - divorce is not an option. Marriage is a sacrament.
For better or for worst.
Not "what pleases me."

Not everyone in the U.S. is in your church, NOR are we required to be in your church or follow your church's rules.
I am not going to defend my beliefs nor argue the point.

Believe what you want. It's a free country. Don't try to convince me your BS is "the way" to salvation.

You strike me as an arrogant fool.

[/quote]

I am not the one holding up my church and it's rules as if the entire country should follow that particular policy.

Why must you criticize what I believe?

What next? Stifling of free speech?

I could care less what you believe - why do you care what I believe?

Are you one of those "caring and nurturing, free speech, fuck Bush" Liberals?

If so - seek a new User ID

It was a legitimate point...do churches decide custody in divorce cases today? No they do not. If government gets out of the marriage business, will churches pick up that job?

I know of cases where they have, and the courts supported it.

But is it not true the court STILL have to sanction it....?

No. In fact, I would suggest that those civil marriage licenses are the best way to enforce proper morals and values by refusing these licenses to people who shouldn't be married to begin with.

Isn't it interesting how prisoners for murder can marry, 14 year girls in southern states can marry, 95 year olds can marry.

Isn't it interesting that The Rabbi neg reps me for this post AND says "So what?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess his marriage license is safe then.

You're talking about "Southern States" peculiarities, and you're posting from California?

Wow.

That's rich.

Are 14 year olds allowed to marry in California? I think not.

Forum List

Back