Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses?

Would you sign a petition to eliminate civil marriage licenses altogether?

• Total voters

bodecea

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Will.Trade.Racists.For.Refugees
I've heard a lot of people say that government should get out of marriage altogether....so, for that to happen, the government would have to drop marriage licenses and all that entails....would you sign such a petition?

Do you mean change it from civil marriage licenses to civil union licenses??

No, get government out of the marriage business altogether, like some here have been advocating for a while (funny when that started...but that's another story for another thread)

So you don't want the government to recognize partnerships for the purpose of civil rights, which is separate from recognizing partnerships for the purpose of religious rites??

I've heard a lot of people say that government should get out of marriage altogether....so, for that to happen, the government would have to drop marriage licenses and all that entails....would you sign such a petition?

Bodecea -
Restate the poll correctly and then see what answer you get. If you frame it in such a way that all rights associated with marriage would end of course people will say no.

If you frame it such that all civil rights associated with marriage would be transferred to civil unions and marriage would remain strictly a religious ceremony with no associated public rights then people will agree...

No, because it is a legal partnership not a religious one. When that partnership is disolved, it is the government, not the churches that clean up the mess

• Banned
How odd that all those saying that government should get out of the marriage business are not voting yes in this poll....or else are moving the goal posts.

How odd that all those saying that government should get out of the marriage business are not voting yes in this poll....or else are moving the goal posts.

How odd that you all say your not trying to shove this garbage down everyone's throats yet you have multiple threads about the same core issue running on here.

Call your congressmen and give us a rest from this worn out subject.

How odd that you all say your not trying to shove this garbage down everyone's throats yet you have multiple threads about the same core issue running on here.

I have multiple threads? Hun, you need to truely pay attention...this is the FIRST thread I've created in a very long time.

Have you voted yet? If not, why not?1

No, the government shouldn't get out of marriage "all together". Who arbitrates a split of assets or custody in the event of a divorce, who enforces child support, who recognizes tax breaks and DNR orders?

Either two adults consensually enter into a civil union, where the title of marriage is granted by a religious institution or,

two adults enter consensually into a marriage ordained by the state

I'm biased to the first, because imo it fits with the 1stA. Whether or not the state wants to classify me and my future wife as a civil union on our 1040 or whatever is immaterial to me; it will still be a marriage in my mind.

Marriage and civil union should just be nothing more than a difference of semantics, with equal rights granted regardless, one legal one sentimental/religious. To me marriage has been about two adults loving each other enough to commit to sharing their lives and assets and decisions together, and, imo, the sex of both is and should be immaterial. I think it is just a matter of time.

Concur.

Concur.

Still afraid to vote?

BTW, there actually WAS a petition in CA to do this very thing.....it didn't even get close to enough signatures. What have YOU done in your state to change things....?

I have multiple threads? Hun, you need to truely pay attention...this is the FIRST thread I've created in a very long time.

Have you voted yet? If not, why not?1

First of all I'm not your hun. Second of all there were 4 threads similar to this one on the first page this morning. All of which have covered the same shit over and over and over. Regardless of who the author is it could have all easily been confined in one thread. I understand you felt you needed your 10 minutes of fame and therefore made "another thread on this topic"

It isn't going to change anyone's mind and will only produce heated arguments that end in insults. Why should I bother voting in your pointless poll when I made my thoughts quite obvious in 2 other threads that are "just like this one" devisive and pointless.

Government's got no business in marriage.
That's between man, woman and God.

Is God going to decide who gets the children?

Why must you criticize what I believe?

What next? Stifling of free speech?

I could care less what you believe - why do you care what I believe?

Are you one of those "caring and nurturing, free speech, fuck Bush" Liberals?

If so - seek a new User ID

Do you mean change it from civil marriage licenses to civil union licenses??

No, get government out of the marriage business altogether, like some here have been advocating for a while (funny when that started...but that's another story for another thread)

So you don't want the government to recognize partnerships for the purpose of civil rights, which is separate from recognizing partnerships for the purpose of religious rites??

I do nolt want the government involved at all in who I sleep with. Do you?

Forum List

Back