Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Let's say someone you absolutely oppose was elected President. Despite this, he/she asks you to serve your nation in some specific capacity. Would you serve your nation even if you don't support the President?

S/he didn't state this would necessarily mean military service... I think it goes without saying that a lot would depend on the moral implications of whatever 'Service' I was being asked to do.

'Let's say someone you absolutely oppose was elected President.'

Ok...Charlie Sheen, for example.

'Despite this, he/she asks you to serve your nation in some specific capacity.'

I do not trust Charlie Sheen. He is probably trying to either con me into mowing his lawn, or act as a bag man in a bank heist.

'Would you serve your nation even if you don't support the President'

Technically speaking, I would only be serving Charlie Sheen....so the answer is 'no'.

Sure I would, but as Del says, I wouldn't do something that I thought was wrong. By that I mean illegal, immoral, or if I thought the actions was clearly not in the country's best interests.

Depends. If I were asked to volunteer to invade a country for no other reason than the POTUS doesn't like them, then the answer is, no. Actually, I wouldn't volunteer to go to war at all unless the US was being invaded or the fight was of such importance that its outcome could lead to the end of the freedom that I now enjoy. If I were asked to help rebuild after a natural disaster, then, yes.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of bosses that were worthless as people, but I could work for them if I believed in the company.
I have been fired for refusing to follow orders that violated my ethics and likely would be again if the POTUS directed me to do something I thought immoral or unethical.

Let's say someone you absolutely oppose was elected President. Despite this, he/she asks you to serve your nation in some specific capacity. Would you serve your nation even if you don't support the President?
Yes. I would even keep everyone in stitches. :)

I take that to mean a Presidential Appointed Position of some sort. No, I wouldn't want that on my resume'.

An absolute yes/no answer is impossible, there are some things I would do for free, other things I could not even be conscripted to do, whomever happens to be the president is irrelevant.

Forum List

Back