Would you rather

• Have government decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
1) Make your own choices thereby succeeding or failing based on your own actions

Or

2) Have the government make your choices relying on them for support

1) Make your own choices thereby succeeding or failing based on your own actions

Or

That's a false dichotomy, Avatar. I'd like the government to do what only the government can, e.g., assure me that the prescription drugs I take are safe, or set rules for driving, etc.

Beyond that, I enjoy my freedom, but I also realize that whatever freedom I have, my neighbor also has. I kinda like living in a housing development with rules against dogs, etc. because IME, some people are idiots, others are assholes, and a few are as nice as me.

Or

That's a false dichotomy, Avatar. I'd like the government to do what only the government can, e.g., assure me that the prescription drugs I take are safe, or set rules for driving, etc.

Beyond that, I enjoy my freedom, but I also realize that whatever freedom I have, my neighbor also has. I kinda like living in a housing development with rules against dogs, etc. because IME, some people are idiots, others are assholes, and a few are as nice as me.

I agree M, i have the same freedom as my neighbor. That is the freedom to work hard and do well in life, or be a bum oh woe is me, help me help me.

I think the questions is more about having the government take care of you from cradle to grave, as opposed to sinking or swimming on your own.

It is about working hard and enjoying the fruits of your labor, or living in an entitlement state where you enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

Or

I agree M, i have the same freedom as my neighbor. That is the freedom to work hard and do well in life, or be a bum oh woe is me, help me help me.

I think the questions is more about having the government take care of you from cradle to grave, as opposed to sinking or swimming on your own.

It is about working hard and enjoying the fruits of your labor, or living in an entitlement state where you enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

No one is purely "self made" nor is anyone purely "entitlement driven", syrenn. It's all about one's circumstances, opportunities, advantages, etc. Those of us who succeed at attaining a middle class life seem to forget the many, many ways that government made this possible and helps to underwrite it.

No one is purely "self made" nor is anyone purely "entitlement driven", syrenn. It's all about one's circumstances, opportunities, advantages, etc. Those of us who succeed at attaining a middle class life seem to forget the many, many ways that government made this possible and helps to underwrite it.

Oh yeah, i beg to differ.

While a agree that there needs to be underpinnings of government, that is all that it should be, underpinnings. The rest in life is up to you.

The poor can become rich, and the rich can become poor. The poor can stay poor and the rich can stay rich. It is up to them and what they as individuals do with their lives.

I have no sympathy. If people want to work and work hard they can better their lives. Anything is possible in this country. There has to be a individual desire to make your own life better.

While a agree that there needs to be underpinnings of government, that is all that it should be, underpinnings. The rest in life is up to you.

The poor can become rich, and the rich can become poor. The poor can stay poor and the rich can stay rich. It is up to them and what they as individuals do with their lives.

I have no sympathy. If people want to work and work hard they can better their lives. Anything is possible in this country. There has to be a individual desire to make your own life better.

This is a bald-faced fairy tale. For many of the nation's poor, no meaningful opportunity to become even middle class exists. And for most truely wealthy people, there is no appreciable risk of ever becoming poor.

Horatio Alger is a nice fable, but that's all it is -- a fable.

This is a bald-faced fairy tale. For many of the nation's poor, no meaningful opportunity to become even middle class exists. And for most truely wealthy people, there is no appreciable risk of ever becoming poor.

Horatio Alger is a nice fable, but that's all it is -- a fable.

Its not a lie Madeline.

For the poor its called getting an education, stay off of drugs and out of jail, and moving from what ever rat hole you are in and getting a job. Its called joining the military and learning a skill. The illegals seem to know all about making their lives better. Why don't Americans understanding it?

And please don't tell me you don't know of any rich people who have lost everything. And if you don't, trust me, i do.

Forum List

Back