Would You Rather Buy More Oil From Canada Or From Nations like Venezuela?

Buy More Oil From Canada Or From Others Like Venezuela & Middle East?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Lots of discussion about the newly proposed Canadian Keystone XL Pipeline. Seems to me we should support buying more oil from our most trusted ally for the last few Centuries than from hostile nations like Venezuela who don't particularly care for us. But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

Lots of discussion about the newly proposed Canadian Keystone XL Pipeline. Seems to me we should support buying more oil from our most trusted ally for the last few Centuries than from hostile nations like Venezuela who don't particularly care for us. But that's just my opinion. What do you think?

I agree with you. I also still propose we drill in ANWAR and produce the Bakken Field. We are sitting on so many opportunities for jobs to be created in these endeavors.

That's not how the oil markets work. Oil goes onto the open market. And I have no problem with Venezuelan oil.

The Venezuelians do help Joe Kennedy's program to help with heating oil assistance to the poor in Massachusetts. I haven't heard of any Canadian companies stepping up.

Who is this "we" that you're talking about?

wonder if they'll have a leak response action plan like deepwater horizon did?
Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It will cross the Sandhills in Nebraska, the large wetland ecosystem, and the Ogallala Aquifer, one of the largest reserves of fresh water in the world. The Ogallala Aquifer spans eight states, provides drinking water for two million people, and supports $20 billion in agriculture. Critics are concerned that a major leak could ruin drinking water and devastate the mid-western U.S. economy.

Canada has been a close friend for a couple of Centuries. I trust them. I just don't trust hostile nations like Venezuela and some Middle Eastern nations.

OK, that is a fair response but trust them for what? we don't even need more freakin oil.

Despite all the marketing crap otherwise we are just fine, thank you!

The gallon of oil that heats your home or is used in your auto could come from any country. There is no practical way to limit importation of oil. Say the US blocks oil importation from Venezuela. Venezuela ships oil to a neighboring country who sells it to a company in the US. A US company buys oil from a foreign oil supplier. The supplier buys oil from a number of countries. Once the oil is loaded in a tanker there is no way to tell where a particular gallon of oil came from. The only thing an embargo does is lowers the profits of the producer.

Last edited:
How about we invest in research and become "energy independent"? Oh, wait, science is bad. Education leads to liberalism. Does that mean we can print money that ends up in the hands of foreign countries forever?

You've framed the question as if there were only two possible solutions to the problem. At least provide a 'None of the above'. Politically there's the problem of Dems and Reps lining up on both sides of the issue.

Practically all oil, no matter the source, is sold on the same world market.

Practically all oil, no matter the source, is sold on the same world market.

Oh no you di ent.

You went "there"?

You mean if the price goes up to 500 dollars a barrel, Canada will charge 500 dollars a barrel?

I keep telling Republicans to imagine the Canadians will act EXACTLY like Republicans. That would be the "worst case scenario".

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, but why not tap our own and create some jobs which then would bring the cost of oil down and the rise in pricing because of fuel cost should also come down ,,, win win

Agree, but why not tap our own and create some jobs which then would bring the cost of oil down and the rise in pricing because of fuel cost should also come down ,,, win win

TAP IT FROM WHERE????

If we had all that oil, we would know it. You don't have to drill everywhere and hope we get "lucky". It's why we have science, technology, scientists and geologists.

In the last two years, oil production from the federal Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) has increased by more than a third, from 446 million barrels in 2008 to an estimated 600 million-plus barrels in 2010.

Forum List

Back