Would You Pretend to be Gay to Belong?

Not to belong, no. What would the point of being fake to appeal to others if the fake part is the only thing they are interested in?

The point would be whatever your heart desired, assuming your heart did not desire a long-term relationship based on mutual trust at that given moment.

Sometimes you know a relationship will be short term from the get-go.

Would you lie to a crazy person with a gun and claim to be a Muslim, if doing so would save your life now, enabling you to fight again another day?

I would.

No. I was always taught that God is very touchy about being repudiated, regardless of the circumstances. I'm sure renouncing Jesus sounded like a very good, life-saving idea to Peter when he did it, too.

Then again, my hero has always been Jane Grey, who chose at the age of 15 to be beheaded rather than recant her faith. I greatly admire that strength of character.

Not to belong, no. What would the point of being fake to appeal to others if the fake part is the only thing they are interested in?

The point would be whatever your heart desired, assuming your heart did not desire a long-term relationship based on mutual trust at that given moment.

Would you lie to a crazy person with a gun and claim to be a Muslim, if doing so would save your life now, enabling you to fight again another day?

I would.

Last statement is a given though. That is not to belong but to get out of a bad situation. Belonging suggests some sort of length involved. Most guys that are trolling for a one night stand will say all sort of lies like 'I'm not married' but those have nothing to do with 'belonging.' Those are to attain a short term goal. If that is what you are referring to then the answer would be yes, for everyone. I do not believe that anyone here is so adverse to a white lie that they would not use it in certain situation and that makes the OP rather silly.

You are mistaken. I am extremely adverse to lies of any size or color, and refuse to use them. Yes, even to save my life. I was raised on stories of religious martyrs who chose death rather than to deny their God. And truthfully, I don't think death is so awful that there aren't some things worth dying for.

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how this might come up. An all lesbians investment club? Gay gardeners?

My business partner and I went to a show at a gay bar and club here in town in order to meet with the "female illusionist" we wanted to hire for our event. A lot of people, being - presumably - the only heterosexual couple in a crowd of gay and bisexual people, might have avoided trying to behave and appear overtly hetero in order to fit in and feel more comfortable. I don't feel the need. I would accept them being themselves if the situation was reversed, and I fully expect them to extend me the same courtesy. If someone has a problem with me, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

I would.

Last statement is a given though. That is not to belong but to get out of a bad situation. Belonging suggests some sort of length involved. Most guys that are trolling for a one night stand will say all sort of lies like 'I'm not married' but those have nothing to do with 'belonging.' Those are to attain a short term goal. If that is what you are referring to then the answer would be yes, for everyone. I do not believe that anyone here is so adverse to a white lie that they would not use it in certain situation and that makes the OP rather silly.

You are mistaken. I am extremely adverse to lies of any size or color, and refuse to use them. Yes, even to save my life. I was raised on stories of religious martyrs who chose death rather than to deny their God. And truthfully, I don't think death is so awful that there aren't some things worth dying for.

That particular lie may not be your example. Are you saying that you would NEVER tell a lie. I find that rather hard to believe. If my wife is 8 months pregnant and she asks if those pants make her look fat I am not likely to say yes. It is a lie.

I would.

I would lie to save someone's life.

Last edited:

That's another good point. You may be able to sacrifice your own life as a matter of just faith but could you do so if it were your son or daughter?

That's another good point. You may be able to sacrifice your own life as a matter of just faith but could you do so if it were your son or daughter?

I don't understand what a son or daughter has to do with me being able to lie to save someone's life.

That particular lie may not be your example. Are you saying that you would NEVER tell a lie. I find that rather hard to believe. If my wife is 8 months pregnant and she asks if those pants make her look fat I am not likely to say yes. It is a lie.

You can find it hard to believe all you like, but I don't tell lies. I have no respect for the practice, and no respect for people who need to be lied to, and zero tolerance for people who lie to me. It is one of the things about myself that I like very much, and I would like myself a lot less if I changed it.

I don't have a wife, but I am one, and I would never be stupid enough to ask my husband if ANYTHING made me look fat while I was eight months pregnant. If I WERE to be that stupid, his answer ought to be, "No, you look like you're eight months pregnant . . . because you are!" Because my husband is who he is, he would follow up with, "You could never look anything but beautiful while carrying my child." Which would also be the truth.

I can't speak for other women, but if I ask my husband's opinion on my outfit and appearance, it's because I expect an honest answer. I'd rather he tell me my skirt makes me look like a cow than let me leave looking like a cow. And I like very much knowing that I can depend utterly on anything he says.

Another thing I like is that my kids and my friends will automatically accept anything I say as the gospel truth, at least as far as I know it. They might consider the possibility that I'm mistaken, but it never occurs to any of them that I'm being dishonest. I love being trusted.

Probably. I don't view death as the ultimate evil, or even particularly evil. Everyone does it eventually, no matter what.

What it comes down to is that what you believe isn't what you talk about and pay lip service to. It isn't what you do when it's easy and convenient. What you TRULY believe is what you do when it's tough. If I believe truth and honesty and trustworthiness are important, then I have to believe even when it's difficult and the consequences are hard to take. If I abandon it when things get rough, then what I really believe is that whatever I want is all that matters. I don't want to be that person.

I think a human being who says they would NEVER tell a lie under any circumstances....not even to save another person's life...well I find that priority off.

Last edited:
I think a human being who says they would NEVER tell a lie under any circumstances....not even to save another person's life...well I find that priority off.

I think it's not for you to tell me or anyone else what our priorities in life should be. And I don't remember any teachings in Buddhism that suggest extending this existence is the highest priority.

I think it's not for you to tell me or anyone else what our priorities in life should be. And I don't remember any teachings in Buddhism that suggest extending this existence is the highest priority.

Saving life is one of the highest practices a Buddhist can do. Protecting others from harm, offering a safe place, a refuge, is a Buddhist practice.

You're right. It's none of my business if you value never telling a lie over saving someone's life. I find that value off FOR ME. I would lie to save another person's life.

We don't have to have the same values to post here.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back