Would You Pay For A 'Silver Bullet' Fix?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Whether you believe that the climate is changing due to the burning of fossil fuels is a moot point if you are intelligent enough to understand that burning those fuels is simply bad for the environment. All it takes is one deep breath in the middle of a city like Mumbai India, where there are few environmental standards, to confirm this fact.

I heard a suggestion that instead of coming up with a bunch of bullshit like 'Carbon Taxes' that will most likely do more to preserve the wealth of the 'haves' than they will do towards finding a solution that will serve our children's children, each country contribute something like one-tenth of one percent of GDP (which would amount to billions...) to a fund dedicated to finding a 'silver-bullet' alternative to fossil fuels.

Assuming there are at least 1 of us working for every 10 people in the country, would you be willing to contribute 1% to find this silver bullet, foregoing any other changes in our current life-style to deal with the problem of pollution?

I find the percentages difficult to figure out, but happily pay more for more efficient fuel injected cars over their cheaper carburetor having ancestors.

Assuming there are at least 1 of us working for every 10 people in the country, would you be willing to contribute 1% to find this silver bullet, foregoing any other changes in our current life-style to deal with the problem of pollution?

Contribute?

You mean invest?

Why don't I invest 1% in ExxonMobil instead?

Of course I would.

I would do the same to find silver-bullet solutions to genocide, poverty, deforestation, overpopulation ....

The plug-in hybrid is unveiled next year, we might trade in our prius. :)

Forum List

Back