Would You Pay For A 'Silver Bullet' Fix?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by AVG-JOE, Dec 15, 2009.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Whether you believe that the climate is changing due to the burning of fossil fuels is a moot point if you are intelligent enough to understand that burning those fuels is simply bad for the environment. All it takes is one deep breath in the middle of a city like Mumbai India, where there are few environmental standards, to confirm this fact.

I heard a suggestion that instead of coming up with a bunch of bullshit like 'Carbon Taxes' that will most likely do more to preserve the wealth of the 'haves' than they will do towards finding a solution that will serve our children's children, each country contribute something like one-tenth of one percent of GDP (which would amount to billions...) to a fund dedicated to finding a 'silver-bullet' alternative to fossil fuels.

Assuming there are at least 1 of us working for every 10 people in the country, would you be willing to contribute 1% to find this silver bullet, foregoing any other changes in our current life-style to deal with the problem of pollution?

2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I find the percentages difficult to figure out, but happily pay more for more efficient fuel injected cars over their cheaper carburetor having ancestors.

3. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Contribute?

You mean invest?

Why don't I invest 1% in ExxonMobil instead?

4. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Of course I would.

I would do the same to find silver-bullet solutions to genocide, poverty, deforestation, overpopulation ....

The plug-in hybrid is unveiled next year, we might trade in our prius. :)