Would You Lock Your Doors

"Now maybe this bores or offends some people with "packaged" views of Southern history. But this goes back to the OP and the Confed flag as a symbol of the South. So how are these stories are NOT "southern heritage" ?? And how do you HONESTLY tell them without identifying the connections to the rest of society ? Folks flying that flag KNOW these stories. MOST of them are horrified by slavery and abuse. But that is the HISTORY of the area."

Absolutely true but no excuse for misbranding the use of the flag today.

I'm not in control of how folks misbrand that flag Jakey. Mr A takes a piss on it every Juneteenth which (with a couple beers) I might join him.
:D But what folks need to understand is that in the South, part of that heritage behind the flag is that the term "house ******" is a term of endearment and affection rather than it's Northern meaning. :lol:

And that being a "house ******" during slavery meant that the owners could leave you the keys and put you in charge of the entire plantation while they were gone. And it might have gotten you buried just steps away from the house master that was a President of the USA BEFORE the war..

Nonsense today. Find us some es from blacks that in those days thought of it as a term of endearment.. I lived in the South for over thirty years, and use that term with my black friends or for their ancestors and they would have cleaned your clock. No ifs ands or buts.

if you were sitting at a stop light and a pick up truck with a rebel flag pulled up beside you?
Car doors on most newer cars lock when you get over about 5 mph. By the time I get to a stop light my doors will have been locked for a long time.

I'm sure some slaves were treated like pets. That doesn't mean they had choices.

You put your pets in charge of your massive home and place of business while you bop off to Cabo??
In charge? Your delusional. More like do what I say or die...and the laws of the time backed that up.

Yeah.. In charge.. As in daily operations and security of the home and business. Did ya read the Hermitage notes I posted?

When Andrew Jackson Junior and his wife Sarah briefly moved to Mississippi in between 1858 and 1860, they entrusted care of The Hermitage to Hannah and Aaron.

You don't leave pets in charge of your home and business operations..
Hannah RAN the house and was a companion to Mrs Jackson. Hannah and her husband were actually married in the house dining room.

Now she DID flee to the Yankees when Nashville fell early in the war. But she was interviewed MANY times with generally favorable statements of the Jackson family..

if you were sitting at a stop light and a pick up truck with a rebel flag pulled up beside you?
Car doors on most newer cars lock when you get over about 5 mph. By the time I get to a stop light my doors will have been locked for a long time.

I was surprised to realize my doors locked as soon as I put it in drive. Never noticed it before.

I'm sure some slaves were treated like pets. That doesn't mean they had choices.

You put your pets in charge of your massive home and place of business while you bop off to Cabo??
In charge? Your delusional. More like do what I say or die...and the laws of the time backed that up.

Yeah.. In charge.. As in daily operations and security of the home and business. Did ya read the Hermitage notes I posted?

When Andrew Jackson Junior and his wife Sarah briefly moved to Mississippi in between 1858 and 1860, they entrusted care of The Hermitage to Hannah and Aaron.

Hannah RAN the house and was a companion to Mrs Jackson. Hannah and her husband were actually married in the house dining room.

Now she DID flee to the Yankees when Nashville fell early in the war. But she was interviewed MANY times with generally favorable statements of the Jackson family..
running the house as a housekeeper is not being in charge of the house in the way you seem to mean.

I am not clear on why you are trying to portray slavery in a flattering light.

running the house as a housekeeper is not being in charge of the house in the way you seem to mean.

No way that's my aim.. My goal is to humanize these folks who had to survive that ugly chapter of history. And to get a more realistic view of HOW they lived. And obviously, slaves were trained at tasks and responsibilities that elevated many of them to positions that endeared them to the owners and created a lot of trust. Showing that it was possible for a few to achieve very lofty positions in the family and business. And that is the story at every Southern heritage site that I've visited. I guess the difference is you would prefer to think of them as menial laborers and victims. I think somewhere in between is where they would WANT to be remembered..

I was surprised to realize my doors locked as soon as I put it in drive. Never noticed it before.
Yep they are usually either locked by shifting to drive or at a given speed.

That technicality aside though, I wouldn't "lock my doors" if anyone pulled up behind me at a stop light. If almost anyone got out of their car and started walking towards mine though I would probably start getting ready to drive away red light or no.

They went to fight with the Confederates then for the same reason they vote for the Democrats now.

Because someone tells them to, and pays them to do it.

You post a lot of things without backing them up. Please provide a link where anybody pays anyone to vote Democrat.
To Apply Food and Nutrition Service

We are the compassionate party that doesn't want anyone to go hungry, but we don't make them sign a document stating they will vote Democrat. That they know that Republicans wouldn't care if they lived or died, they would be rather naive to vote Republican, and yet you have some that for some reason still do, so, your little link didn't prove squat.

So, that doesn't prove that they are paid to vote Democrat, just that Democrats care about their welfare, too bad that can't be said about the other party.

No way that's my aim.. My goal is to humanize these folks who had to survive that ugly chapter of history. And to get a more realistic view of HOW they lived. And obviously, slaves were trained at tasks and responsibilities that elevated many of them to positions that endeared them to the owners and created a lot of trust. Showing that it was possible for a few to achieve very lofty positions in the family and business. And that is the story at every Southern heritage site that I've visited. I guess the difference is you would prefer to think of them as menial laborers and victims. I think somewhere in between is where they would WANT to be remembered..
I've run across Southern revisionists before but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Basically what you are doing is trying put lipstick on a pig. Your choice of language even reflects the attitude the slave owners probably had. "were trained"? I trained my pit bull to guard my home when I was not there. When I was home he knew he was off duty and he was a dog. For every feel good story there are probably hundreds if not thousands of examples of depraved indifference to the human condition of being enslaved and relegated to the value of mule. Those feel good stories dont wash away the destruction done to the family unit of Blacks from seeing their daughters and wives raped, sold off to the highest bidder as retaliation for some real or imagined slight or disobedience, or men folk basically removed from their primary role of family protector under pain of mutilation or death. Consequently that destruction is still evident today in the lives of Black people that have not recovered as of yet from what basically amounts to PTSD. Food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/n...from-911still-haunts.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

9/11 was a one time event that affected thousaunds. Blacks went through it for decades over and over and over again. The survivors did not receive any counseling and passed on a bunch of bad stuff to their descendants. What could possibly be good about romanticizing the era of slavery?

Last edited:

Why would I? Why would anyone? The West has millions of sworn enemies actively seeking our destruction, and you worry about good ol' boys listening to Red Solo Cup??

We are doomed....

Basically what you are doing is trying put lipstick on a pig. Your choice of language even reflects the attitude the slave owners probably had. "were trained"? I trained my pit bull to guard my home when I was not there. When I was home he knew he was off duty and he was a dog. For every feel good story there are probably hundreds if not thousands of examples of depraved indifference to the human condition of being enslaved and relegated to the value of mule. Those feel good stories dont wash away the destruction done to the family unit of Blacks from seeing their daughters and wives raped, sold off to the highest bidder as retaliation for some real or imagined slight or disobedience, or men folk basically removed from their primary role of family protector under pain of mutilation or death. Consequently that destruction is still evident today in the lives of Black people that have not recovered as of yet from what basically amounts to PTSD. Food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/n...from-911still-haunts.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

9/11 was a one time event that affected thousaunds. Blacks went through it for decades over and over and over again. The survivors did not receive any counseling and passed on a bunch of bad stuff to their descendants. What could possibly be good about romanticizing the era of slavery?

So in 150 years, you can't overcome something no living black man experienced? Jeeze guy! Get over it.

I guess someone that wanted the story to be ALL about victims and menial labor -- it IS lipstick on a pig.. I'll buy that. But something strange is goin on here that I did not expect. And that is both Ravi and now YOU have made "dog" and "pet" references in regards to some actual plantation history. My mind can't go there. Particularly when the stories were about training in blacksmithing, horse husbandry, carpentry, milling, etc.. And having a couple slaves win more Kentucky derbies than modern era jockeys is more than worthy at a look as to how that happened. These were premiere skills for the time. Not the stuff your dog can do.

Pretty tone deaf for even the politically correct leftists that equate a job at WalMart to slavery all the freaking time..

I think LOTS of healing went on in the South BECAUSE of the acceptance of the contributions made by black slaves and the way they survived. And the integral relationships between ancestors. They are a key part of the story of development here and it serves race relations better to celebrate their contributions than to ignore them..

On most vehicles the annoying autolock feature can be turned off. The manufacturers generally do not include instructions in the owner manuals, convinced that most Americans are paranoid.

Instructions can be found on the internet with a search for autolock disable plus your vehicle's make/model. For example:

How to enable or disable Ford Autolocks
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'll be the first to admit I'm a little paranoid though. Of course living in a third world massively overpopulated country like the Philippines for two years will tend to affect most people like that a bit. I got pickpocketed 3 times and robbed at home in the middle of the night once.

I also worked for an alarm company. That industry breeds a little paranoia too.

I prefer to think of myself as careful.

Forum List

Back