Would you join a social network that reveals your location?

Aristotle

Sep 9, 2012
I've recently read some internet articles regarding some young kids making racist tweets during the presidential election. Majority of the kids that tweeted were around 16 years old. In another related incident, a young female who worked at cold stone creamery made some racist comments on her facebooks about president Obama, her ex-boyfriend saw her post w/supposed "black face," tagged it, then somehow her employment caught wind of it and fired her.

This had me thinking....of a quote....

What is the value of free speech if you remain anonymous?

For the most part, people make vile comments because of anonymity and the safety net behind that, but or course, the exception to that is if you make threats against the president of the United States. Now here is another food for thought:

Would you join a social network which uses your name and the area you made the post in?

Like facebook people often times use "check-in" to show the area or place they are at, well what if there was a social network or forum like this which people who comment, tweet, make a status also reveal their location?

Some people will argue invasion of privacy. Well in a time of war there is no such thing as privacy so that is moot. However I was thinking that if we stand behind values right or wrong, should we also stand by them in the face of social consequences?

In general, free speech is more effective if you know where it comes from. Unfortunately in today's society some issues in some places raise concerns for personal safety. If every whistleblower were unmasked, there might not be many whistleblowers.

Would you join a social network which uses your name and the area you made the post in?

I wouldn't have a big problem, especially if it was reciprocal, but I have some apprehension if my granddaughters were exposed.

I've recently read some internet articles regarding some young kids making racist tweets during the presidential election. Majority of the kids that tweeted were around 16 years old. In another related incident, a young female who worked at cold stone creamery made some racist comments on her facebooks about president Obama, her ex-boyfriend saw her post w/supposed "black face," tagged it, then somehow her employment caught wind of it and fired her.

This had me thinking....of a quote....

For the most part, people make vile comments because of anonymity and the safety net behind that, but or course, the exception to that is if you make threats against the president of the United States. Now here is another food for thought:

Like facebook people often times use "check-in" to show the area or place they are at, well what if there was a social network or forum like this which people who comment, tweet, make a status also reveal their location?

Some people will argue invasion of privacy. Well in a time of war there is no such thing as privacy so that is moot. However I was thinking that if we stand behind values right or wrong, should we also stand by them in the face of social consequences?

i'll argue privacy.

i think free speech also means you have some freedom in the selection of your audience. over the net, you don't. personally, i will always say what i havee to say, but if, for example, i am advocating civil rights for african americans or marriage rights for gays, i am not going to make that speech at a klan meeting or a gathering of evangelical christians.

Last edited:

no way. the account on fb i have is in a fake name/age/location..i only have friends on it that are true friends..2 i think :p i only login via vpn. i've logged in once this year just to say hi to my best friend.

it is creepy to have your data/messages/personal photos used and exploited and stored. your political convos scanned by fbi..erg..no thanks.

not to mention..even if you have your shit protected and not visible..there is always a way..via some screen shot your friend too and reposted etc..

i dont want anonymous creepshows showing up at my front door or stalking my kid. people are twitched.especially some of the political psychos you hear about, .no thanks.

Its a public discussion if people in the public can read what you say.

why cant people grasp that?

uhhh... what "time of war"?

I dunno, privacy concerns are vital and yes should be protected as a principle but on the individual cases if these people are dumb enough to enter the world of Nosebook which is the antithesis of privacy (predictably, since it's the creation of a voyeur), it's kind of hard to blame the gun they shot themselves with. The girl who got fired for the racist post- I can see firing her for her judgement in posting it rather than for her judgement in doing it.

They pay the price of capitulating to the Voyeur Society. Apparently they don't mind. But I don't get it; friends of mine tried to get me on Nosebook a couple of years ago - I asked any one of them to explain to me "what practical use does this give me that I don't already have?" To date nobody has been able to answer that.

Forum List

Back