Would you inform on a benefits cheat?

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
Or would you say, good luck to them if they can get away with it?

If I knew of someone who was taking advantage on purpose id make the call in a heartbeat.

ScarFace_No_Snitches-T.jpg

Or would you say, good luck to them if they can get away with it?

Unfortunately, what may seem as cheating , in a lot of cases is not.

My little sister's X Husband was living on welfare, yet he lived alone in one of his rich Mother's homes for free. He drove one of HER cars that she paid for insurance and gas and maintainance on. He ate the food she bought for him and spent the money she gave him every month.

He even hired a private investigator to try and dig up dirt on my sister to get custody of their child. My sister finally had enough and reported his ass. Guess what State Welfare said? Since none of those things were in his name they did not care at all. His mother was free to give him as much money as she wanted every month and totally support his ass and the State still had to pay him welfare. She even paid for the Lawyer every time he brought up a false charge and dragged her into court to try and take their kid.

Ohh did I mention, because he was on welfare, he did not have to pay child support?

If I knew of someone who was taking advantage on purpose id make the call in a heartbeat.

Why? and would it make a difference to you if they were a friend or relation?

Unfortunately, what may seem as cheating , in a lot of cases is not.

My little sister's X Husband was living on welfare, yet he lived alone in one of his rich Mother's homes for free. He drove one of HER cars that she paid for insurance and gas and maintainance on. He ate the food she bought for him and spent the money she gave him every month.

He even hired a private investigator to try and dig up dirt on my sister to get custody of their child. My sister finally had enough and reported his ass. Guess what State Welfare said? Since none of those things were in his name they did not care at all. His mother was free to give him as much money as she wanted every month and totally support his ass and the State still had to pay him welfare. She even paid for the Lawyer every time he brought up a false charge and dragged her into court to try and take their kid.

Ohh did I mention, because he was on welfare, he did not have to pay child support?
Surely when claiming welfare you are supposed to declare any and all other monies and or kind recieved whether earned or not?

Why? and would it make a difference to you if they were a friend or relation?

why? for the same reason I'd report a bank robber. And no, it would make no difference if it were a friend or relation. In fact, that would piss me off more.

http://www.ucowf.org/

Are you suggesting that it's ok to cheat the system as long as they are friends or family?

Surely when claiming welfare you are supposed to declare any and all other monies and or kind recieved whether earned or not?

Not in Washington State. The Welfare office told her they could and would do nothing about it, she provided details and specifics.

Not in Washington State. The Welfare office told her they could and would do nothing about it, she provided details and specifics.

I would think he would be in trouble with the IRS for not reporting monetary gifts, if he doesn't do that. Still, his income could still be below the poverty level. Sounds like a legal scam.

why? for the same reason I'd report a bank robber. And no, it would make no difference if it were a friend or relation. In fact, that would piss me off more.

United Council on Welfare Fraud - Home

Are you suggesting that it's ok to cheat the system as long as they are friends or family?

I am suggesting nothing yet, I asked a question, you replied, I now have a better idea of your mindset.:cool:

I am rather nit picky about those who would take advantage of a system put in place to help people who actually need it. I would hope that you would do the same. Just so you know, im not into hiding murderers and rapists just because they happen to be my friend either.

So, Mani, you probably don't want to get drunk and spill your guts around me.

I am rather nit picky about those who would take advantage of a system put in place to help people who actually need it. I would hope that you would do the same. Just so you know, im not into hiding murderers and rapists just because they happen to be my friend either.

So, Mani, you probably don't want to get drunk and spill your guts around me.

Duly noted.

People who are cheating the system to gain unnecessary welfare are only adding to our deficits. The less money the government has to spend, the better off we'll be.

If I didn't think there would be a starving child involved, I'd probably make the call too.

um, so, what other laws are you willing to disregard for the sake of family and friends? murder and rape too or just the ones that violate societies effort to aid its needy?

um, so, what other laws are you willing to disregard for the sake of family and friends? murder and rape too or just the ones that violate societies effort to aid its needy?

Gluegun, would you turn me in if I smoked a bowl?

Gluegun, would you turn me in if I smoked a bowl?

smoking a bowl doesn't harm anyone.. like, say, murder, rape or welfare fruad.

Now, if you were cooking meth i'd have your ass busted in a heartbeat.

and, GLUEGUN? come on. you've got to be better than that.

No. Not all money is counted as income, nor are all resources. For example, lump sums received might only be counted in the month they are received, then not counted again though the money is the the bank. And for fs only, in Oregon, we don't count resources at all.

Also, once certified in the simplified reporting system, clients only have to report when their income goes over a certain (and quite high) amount. So if a person comes in to apply for food benefits and is not making any money at all, we certify them. If they get a job, unless that gross income goes over whatever the limit is for the household number (how many people in the household) they don't have to report that to us. If they DO we're obligated to make the change, which means less food stamps. We encourage them NOT to tell us, unless they go over income. Whatever income changes happen in the year of certification can be dealt with at the 6-month interim period, when they have to fill out a form which requires them to report their income at that time...then at that time we re-calculate the foodstamps.

For medical, once kids are certified, they're certified either for 6 months or a year, depending upon the program, and it doesn't matter what happens, that certification is good for that amount of time.

So it's pretty hard for a lay person to determine if a person is actually trying to defraud the state or not. People think that every single change must be reported immediately, and it doesn't.

Then we also have extended medical and extended food and extended cash benefits as incentives for people to go get work. For example, if you're on assistance and get a job, you are still eligible to receive your current amount of fs for 6 months, your medical for up to a year (even if you're receiving medical through your work) and in Oregon $150 a month for a period of time after you start working.

People call in all the time snitching on neighbors and such who they are just sure are defrauding the system because they have a boyfriend in the house, or they get a job and still get fs or a variety of reasons. Typically it's nothing, and just a case of a vindictive person who has too much time on their hands and pays more attention to what their neighbors are doing than they need to be doing. Being on welfare does not make people the property of the state.

We do have fraud investigation units, however, to deal with those who really appear to be trying to defraud the state. Rest assured, if they get caught and they really are intentionally screwing around and trying to scam they are held accountable, criminally and financially. Heck, they're held financially responsible for overpayments even if it's an administrative mistake, if it's for an amount over $100.

So the answer is no, you don't have to report all $$ whether it's a gift or not. It just depends on how much it is, what type of income it is.

Forum List

Back