Would you hire an OWS'er?

I didn't realize that their was a law requiring the stifling of political views as a prerequisite for gaining employment? are you sure about that?

If you believe what you have posted, and you own a business that employs those hiring practices then you are part of the reason the OWS protesters exist.

youre right no law

by all means puke your political positions and how business is evil and capitism must die at your next job interview

And there in lies the rub. I already work two jobs and am considering a third, The American Dream says that if I work hard I can get ahead and be successful. If I have to get a third job and work 16 hour days to save a little bit, then I tell you the American dream is broken. This isn't about capitalism and business being evil. This isn't even personal, this is about restoring the American Dream for everyone, not just those who can afford it.

You make me laugh.

When I was a financial planner I could always and yes I do mean always find money in people's budgets to save.

The problem is that people don't want to save.

Would you downgrade your phone to save $20 or more a month?
Would you pack a bologna sandwich and bring your own coffee to work every day?

You have money and most likely not an insignificant amount of money that you waste because you aren't paying attention to your budget like 99% of Americans.

If a guy came in and had OWS participant on his resume, would you hire him? What if he went to jail for the cause? Would you hire him to be among the people who are gonna be expected to help your company thrive and profit? Does his attitude of aligning with OWS say anything about the type of employee you'll be getting?
Yes, I would hire an OWS participant if I had toilets to clean or sewer pipes to hand flush out.

Other than that; I don't see where their OWS experience would qualify them for any other job. :cool:

If a guy came in and had OWS participant on his resume, would you hire him? What if he went to jail for the cause? Would you hire him to be among the people who are gonna be expected to help your company thrive and profit? Does his attitude of aligning with OWS say anything about the type of employee you'll be getting?

Depends on the individual. Just because anyone participated in a protest doesnt give the necessary insight. That's what interviews are for.

I will admit he or she would have a tough battle. But nothing impossible.

youre right no law

by all means puke your political positions and how business is evil and capitism must die at your next job interview

And there in lies the rub. I already work two jobs and am considering a third, The American Dream says that if I work hard I can get ahead and be successful. If I have to get a third job and work 16 hour days to save a little bit, then I tell you the American dream is broken. This isn't about capitalism and business being evil. This isn't even personal, this is about restoring the American Dream for everyone, not just those who can afford it.

I applaud your efforts by working 2, maybe 3 jobs, good for you.:clap2:

However millions of hardworking Americans have done the same when starting out, for generations. Working multiple jobs is not some new phenomenon that only these ows have been exposed to.
All but a handful of folks I know worked multiple jobs when starting out.

Started off in the military, and am now working what I'm working. The problem is I'm not starting out, and my son just started college. I've been working like this my whole life and it isn't getting easier, I fall farther and farther every month. No matter how hard I work it doesn't seen to matter. I've got to be the unluckiest person in history as the companies I work for keep shutting their doors, The housing market locks me into the area I currently live in, and my wifes medical bills keep me from ever getting ahead.

I'm not looking for sympathy, and I don't want anything from anyone else. I want fairness and equality. I want my leaders to step up and lead, not line their pockets with my sweat. I want to be treated with respect. I want a level playing field without cronyism and nepotism. I want to be hired on my merits, and promoted because of my work ethic and job performance. I want the opportunity to find opportunity. I want the poor to get off their ass and work just as hard as me, I want the well off and in charge to provide what they keep telling me only they can provide to provide it (better paying jobs).

People who do hiring are trained to look for character indicators. If someone was otherwise qualified for the job would you hire a PETA activist to work in your fur and leather shop? Of course not. If someone put on their resume that they partcipated in PETA activism it's because they want the employer to pay attention to that. Same thing with OWS. If anti business beliefs are important enough to put on a resume, the employer would have to decide whether this fits with the philosophy of the business itself. If someone were jailed for their activities and the basis was throwing a molotov cocktail through the window of a store, any store that hired them is just looking for trouble.

youre right no law

You make me laugh.

When I was a financial planner I could always and yes I do mean always find money in people's budgets to save.

The problem is that people don't want to save.

Would you downgrade your phone to save $20 or more a month?
Would you pack a bologna sandwich and bring your own coffee to work every day?

You have money and most likely not an insignificant amount of money that you waste because you aren't paying attention to your budget like 99% of Americans.

I ride by pedal bike to work and parked my truck three years ago. Gas prices.
I quit smoking seven years ago. Couldn't afford it.
I pack a lunch every day. Healthier.
I shop at goodwill for clothing. Still serviceable clothing there.
Son is in college. Wish I could help him out more but can't afford it.
Medical bills (wifes, bad car accident). I pay what I owe.
I do drink beer during the Lions game and U of M game. One of the few pleasures I enjoy.
Do not eat out at all ever. Healthier, (no insurance requires I get as healthy as I can and stay that way)

Ps. the last phone downgrade gave me a land line only. Companies won't hire you unless you have a phone.

Last edited:

I applaud your efforts by working 2, maybe 3 jobs, good for you.:clap2:

However millions of hardworking Americans have done the same when starting out, for generations. Working multiple jobs is not some new phenomenon that only these ows have been exposed to.
All but a handful of folks I know worked multiple jobs when starting out.

Started off in the military, and am now working what I'm working. The problem is I'm not starting out, and my son just started college. I've been working like this my whole life and it isn't getting easier, I fall farther and farther every month. No matter how hard I work it doesn't seen to matter. I've got to be the unluckiest person in history as the companies I work for keep shutting their doors, The housing market locks me into the area I currently live in, and my wifes medical bills keep me from ever getting ahead.

I'm not looking for sympathy, and I don't want anything from anyone else. I want fairness and equality. I want my leaders to step up and lead, not line their pockets with my sweat. I want to be treated with respect. I want a level playing field without cronyism and nepotism. I want to be hired on my merits, and promoted because of my work ethic and job performance. I want the opportunity to find opportunity. I want the poor to get off their ass and work just as hard as me, I want the well off and in charge to provide what they keep telling me only they can provide to provide it (better paying jobs).

Well, I know it sucks, but some folks just don't get the break they feel they deserve. It would be fantastic if we could guarantee success through hard work, but how is that possible?
Not everyone is going to find success and trying to guarantee they do is simply not feasible, imo.

Again, it's great to read that you keep digging, and that is what (from my upbringing) it's all about. More times than not, the truly hard worker will find success, it just might take a little longer in some cases.

I have been in that same situation more than once.

I doubt you want advice, but just in case.

There is nothing you can do about your wife's medical bills. It's no one else's fault and no one else's responsibility.

What you are doing isn't working. You have to do something else. If you are not being paid enough, you just have to become worth more.

I don't know what kind of work you do, you might talk to your employer and not ask for a raise, but ask what you can do to become a more valuable employee. I knew a man who worked as a stocker at Home Depot making very little money. He asked what should he do to become worth more money and found out that the company had employer paid training and college programs.

Sometimes we are just too busy to make more money.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back