Would you favor Trump dismissing all Dept. of Education Employees, effectively shutting it down?

Should Trump dismiss all DoE personnel and shut it down?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • That is unconstitutional.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Congress can't create legislation that the constitution does not empower them to create via explicit (enumerated) or implied powers in the constitution.
Uh huh.
Can you provide of an example of legislation, real or hypothetical, that the general welfare clause and / or the common defense clause does not grant the implied power to create?
Legislation passed by congress will carry citations...
Since you avoided the question, I'll ask again:
Can you provide of an example of legislation, real or hypothetical, that the general welfare clause and / or the common defense clause does not grant the implied power to create?
If you understand what powers are granted congress.....
Since you avoided the question AGAIN, I'll ask AGAIN...:
If you understand what powers are granted congress in the constitution then you should be able to bring this to mind without asking. For starters, every year when we the raise the debt ceiling that is done using the explicit power to create debt. Every allocation of funds to the military uses the the explicit power to provide for a the military force. Likewise, allocating money to build roads, promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, and bills that regulate commerce between states, creation of most taxes etc, ect.....

If you understand what powers are granted congress in the constitution then you should be able to bring this to mind without asking.
I see you cannot come up with an example of legislation, real or hypothetical that the general welfare clause and / or the common defense clause does not grant the implied power to create; as such, you must then agree that said implied powers allow for the creation of ANY piece of legislation Congress cares to pass, so long as it relates in some way to the common defense and the general welfare.

That being the case, explain the need to include clauses 2-17 in Article Sec 8 of the US constitution and the explicit powers granted to Congress by same.

If you understand what powers are granted congress in the constitution then you should be able to bring this to mind without asking.
I see you cannot come up with an example of legislation, real or hypothetical that the general welfare clause and / or the common defense clause does not grant the implied power to create; as such, you must then agree that said implied powers allow for the creation of ANY piece of legislation Congress cares to pass, so long as it relates in some way to the common defense and the general welfare.

That being the case, explain the need to include clauses 2-17 in Article Sec 8 of the US constitution and the explicit powers granted to Congress by same.
Raising the debt ceiling and most of the tax and commerce legislation dose not rely on the general welfare or common defense clauses. There's many more but I don't have time to mess it.

Since you're going to ignore my post, I see no reason to continue this discussion.

Raising the debt ceiling and most of the tax and commerce legislation....
Oh... so these are examples of of legislation, real or hypothetical, that the general welfare clause and / or the common defense clause does not grant the implied power to create.

-How is it you could not cite these when I asked you -- 4 times -- for an example of such a law?
-How does the general welfare clause not imply the powers to create/raise a debt ceiling and regulate commerce?
Since you're going to ignore my post, I see no reason to continue this discussion.
If I were you, I'd tuck tail and run as well.

Last edited:

The broad interpretation of the General Welfare clause - including the conceit that it is an "implied spending power" - makes the rest of the enumerated power superfluous.

The broad interpretation of the General Welfare clause - including the conceit that it is an "implied spending power" - makes the rest of the enumerated power superfluous.
Indeed - and thus, illustrates the fallacious reasoning behind said broad interpretation.

Last edited:

Indeed - and thus, illustrates the fallacious reasoning behind said broad interpretation.

Or, as Madison put it:
"Some, who have not denied the necessity of the power of taxation, have grounded a very fierce attack against the Constitution, on the language in which it is defined. It has been urged and echoed, that the power “to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States,’’ amounts to an unlimited commission to exercise every power which may be alleged to be necessary for the common defense or general welfare. No stronger proof could be given of the distress under which these writers labor for objections, than their stooping to such a misconstruction. Had no other enumeration or definition of the powers of the Congress been found in the Constitution, than the general expressions just cited, the authors of the objection might have had some color for it; though it would have been difficult to find a reason for so awkward a form of describing an authority to legislate in all possible cases."

Or, as Madison put it:
"Some, who have not denied the necessity of the power of taxation, have grounded a very fierce attack against the Constitution, on the language in which it is defined. It has been urged and echoed, that the power “to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States,’’ amounts to an unlimited commission to exercise every power which may be alleged to be necessary for the common defense or general welfare. No stronger proof could be given of the distress under which these writers labor for objections, than their stooping to such a misconstruction. Had no other enumeration or definition of the powers of the Congress been found in the Constitution, than the general expressions just cited, the authors of the objection might have had some color for it; though it would have been difficult to find a reason for so awkward a form of describing an authority to legislate in all possible cases."
Exactly
But, liberals don't care - they want the state to have as much power over the people as it can.

Forum List

Back