Would you die for your faith(or lack thereof)?

Would you die for your faith, or lack thereof?

• yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Steelplate

Bluesman
Apr 25, 2011
Central PA
Let's suppose that a ruler came upon this land that was intolerant to any other religion/faith but his/her own. He/she orders all the citizens of the country to denounce any other God but his/hers.

Atheists, you don't get away with not answering. Your choice is to either accept the ruler's God, or die.

Let's suppose that a ruler came upon this land that was intolerant to any other religion/faith but his/her own. He/she orders all the citizens of the country to denounce any other God but his/hers.

Atheists, you don't get away with not answering. Your choice is to either accept the ruler's God, or die.

I would rather die than take up a false religion.

I kind of think this idea from Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist, applies to any and all ideologies religious or not:

"Aware of the suffering created by fanaticism and intolerance, we are determined not to be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist teachings are guiding means to help us learn to look deeply and to develop our understanding and compassion. They are not doctrines to fight, kill, or die for."

So, as an agnostic, I would say no, I would not be willing to die for whatever my religious beliefs are.

For us agnostics, we like to bet the short side of Pascal's wager. If there is a gd, and we agree with that proposition, then we win. If there is no gd, and we say there is, we still win.

Would I lie about my religion to live to fight another day?

I pity the fool who gives me that opportunity.

Oh... I realized I never answered my own poll in my post.

Yes, I would die for my religion. I guess what prompted me to ask the question was.. first of all, the thread about suicide missions, but also the "Left Behind" series of Christian novels.

I am not some loon who believes that the tribulation is upon us, but I also recognize that no man knows when it will come. In the Novel, Christians were given the choice to denounce Christ or face the guillotine.

I just found it an interesting scenario.

Steelplate;4007672]Let's suppose that a ruler came upon this land that was intolerant to any other religion/faith but his/her own. He/she orders all the citizens of the country to denounce any other God but his/hers.

That will never happen as long as I am alive. I am a very good machinist and a pilot with many hours of multi-engine time.

I suppose first I could construct a very nasty 1 or two thousand pound surprise and the mechanism to release it from the under side of a 2000 mile range twin. I would take said device to a remote location within 500 miles of where this crazy fore-mentioned fuck resides by truck on a dolly and hide it next to a long straight road out in the boonies suitable as a landing strip. I would survey the existing supply of available planes and steal the appropriate aircraft(I already have priors) waiting for a 100% verification of said fucks location and when he/she would be there. Upon confirmation of the target I would steal the plane and fly it and the "device" attachment tools and release mechanism to the location of the "surprise". Then I would assemble the package and fly directly to the target and do an extreme low level run to increase the chances of success. I may have to take two planes and do a couple of practice runs out in the desert to help ensure accuracy. I would probably succeed without getting harmed as I have already done most of what I mentioned sans surprise package runs. I would probably not be the only one intent on removing this madman/woman from our midst. I guess it would just be a matter of who got to him/her first. If I did not succeed I can think of no better reason to die. Even If I miss and have to do a "do-over" the chances of getting caught are next to nothing.

I do not recommend that anyone try this at home. Many aspects of this story could be very dangerous. :eek: You should leave this kind of activity to professionals. :lol:

Yes, I would die for my religion. I guess what prompted me to ask the question was.. first of all, the thread about suicide missions, but also the "Left Behind" series of Christian novels.

I am not some loon who believes that the tribulation is upon us, but I also recognize that no man knows when it will come. In the Novel, Christians were given the choice to denounce Christ or face the guillotine.

How do you know the tribulations isn't upon us? Just curious.

How do you know the tribulations isn't upon us? Just curious.

I don't... do you? The point is, I choose not to live in fear of such things. They are on God's timeline... not mine. If we are in the Tribulation, then it matters not who we vote for, which side we support. If God decides that now is the time... the Anti-Christ either is in power, or soon will be.

One thing that is written about the Anti-Christ is that he will come under the guise of a godly person, but will act in opposition to God. Personally, I don't think that any of us could describe Obama as a "godly" person. He, unlike Clinton... admitted his dabbling with drugs as a youth, he believes in things that bother the "supposed" devout.

These kind of things lead me to believe that we are not there yet. However, I do worry that our society is becoming hard hearted and very nasty towards one another. I look for the Anti-Christ to come out of this terrible state of affairs(if he/she is going to come anytime soon).

Bachman is the antichrist???

Well, I wouldn't say that... but according to what I've read in the Bible..the whole "hard heartedness" and lack of caring about our fellow man is going to precede the coming of the Anti-Christ.

What is more hard hearted than to try to protect out wealthiest and leave our poorest to rot? Especially by supposed "devout" Christians.

IMO... there's not much more hard hearted than that. But then again... I am just a man... I don't pretend to know.

Forum List

Back