Would you cure gay?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by FA_Q2, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    You must be a democrat because democrats don't think.

A republican would have said Islamic fundamentalists or Christian Russians.

2. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,894
    Republicans need to stop ‘thinking.’

3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    Republicans need to understand that America is sinking fast and decide whether they will help islam or someone else.

4. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Would you cure red hair? How about brown eyes? or maybe girls who are taller than 5'7" and men that are shorter than 5' 7"?

What is the point of curing something that has no harm to the rest of the population? As a matter of fact some actually like red hair, brown eyes, and tall women. -Not sure about short men but I am sure there is someone out there who likes them.
    Some people like gays, lesbians, bi-sexuals, and transsexuals. If that bothers you perhaps you should be "cured".

5. Cookie

Cookie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Having a gay gene doesn't necessarily mean one will grow up as a homosexual. For instance, we're learning that people can carry a gene for diabetes or to contract cancer but the gene has to be turned on by something in the environment. The theory is that homosexuality is the same in that the tendency exists but there is something environmental that switched on that tendency. This is why people are "on the spectrum" between die-hard hetero to bi to full-fledged homo. This is also why people can go 40 years as "normal" before they become pre-diabetic.

A child is a sexual being but they aren't sexual. Their sexual orientation isn't an issue when they are a child. As they get into the teenaged years the parents can let them know about the "magic medical therapy" that they can obtain when they are an adult ... if they want to.

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    There is no gay gene.

7. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    For myself, yes. If it were simple and cheap, there are plenty of things that I would cure and there are things that many people do on a daily basis. Many women cure small boobs for instance. IOW, your monologue is rather pointless to the topic as has been pointed out there are a lot of people here that would utilize an option such as this. Don’t like the word ‘cure’ applied here then argue over that but I would find that rather pointless as the question was directed mostly at changing that trait pre-birth.

8. Asclepias

Asclepias Work Hard Play Hard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,979
    I'd say no. My personal thought about being gay is that its natures form of population control. My broader view is why try and cure something that is not a sickness nor does it harm the remaining populace? The only bad thing that comes out of being gay is other peoples opinions of something that has absolutely no affect on their lives.

9. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    You also cannot naturally have children. Would you cure infertility? I would assume so. I know that I felt pretty bad when my doctors told me that my son is never going to have children of his own due to testicular radiation that had to be administered. I think that he is going to miss something very beautiful in his life and that upsets me very much. If I could cure that, I would in a heartbeat.

That is one side effect of being gay. There are others, all of which are manageable but there are still side effects. The strife that a young gay person is going to face in their life simply because they are different is another. For some, this is enough to consider changing them. For others, it’s not enough but there are reasons that some would do it.

10. Asclepias

Asclepias Work Hard Play Hard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,979
    I feel the same about infertility. There really is no reason to cure it other than people wanting to have a child that carries their genes (which may be defective). There are plenty of parentless children needing homes. The strife a gay person feels is a direct result of what pressure their parents, family, and society at large places on them.