Would you cure gay?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by FA_Q2, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    Why am I not surprised that you wouldn't actually address the premise of the OP? Did it ever occur to you that by arguing the way you are you are actually exasperating the problem?

2. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    The pretend scientists that Luddites listen too when they are confronted by progress.

3. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,226
    FYI, fallacy does not mean false. It generally means that the argument is poorly reasoned out, but unthinking people resort to calling something a fallacy in order to not have to defend their own positions. There is actually a term for this, it is called argument from fallacy, but I prefer the term fallacy fallacy.

Such is the level of debate I have come to expect from most people who graduated from school since 1960.

4. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,356
    As to the research – it has been addressed before. I gave you the research and you choose to ignore it. There is also zero research that shows gay is a choice as there cannot be. You cannot prove a negative (aka, that gay is NOT genetically based). Previous research in the subject was meant with barriers because gay is not based purely on genetics but has more to it than that. New research shows that it is likely gay is not a choice whether or not you want to acknowledge that. That is, however, your problem. No one really cares that you wish to disregard research that disagrees with you, that is your option. It is silly though to disregard it and then make continual claims that there is evidence in the contrary. No one is going to buy that.

As far as free will, there are things that you can choose and things that you cannot. You do not choose when your body goes through puberty. That is a fact. You do not choose the chemicals that are released as you are growing up. The idea here is that sexual attraction is a chemical process, not a choice. There is plenty to back that up as well. The simple fact is that you never decided to like women, that occurs naturally on natures timescale. There is a time when women have cooties and then a transitional period to hiding magazines where your father won’t find them. That transition is ruled entirely on your body taking its natural course. You do not choose when, how, what is going to change or anything else in that process. For some reason though, you seem to think that the outcome is a choice. Why? Based on what? Nothing other than science has not identified the exact cause and genetically identical twins are not always both gay. That is completely insufficient because that leaves out the host of other possibilities. I find it rather silly that you demand an individual has options over that course. That is completely illogical and simply based on biased view of those that are straight.

Lastly, I already addressed your concerns over this as the question is moot if it is a choice so the argument over that is over for the purposes of this specific thread.

5. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,356
    Also of note, this thread is not about gay marriage. If you cannot refrain from trying to derail this thread with a subject being abused in a thousand others, leave.

6. Wake

Wake Easygoing Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Though I support Gay Marriage because America is not governed by the Church/Mosque, I personally find GM and homosexuality to be revolting. I find beauty in the notion of one man and one woman falling in love, getting married, and raising a family. I neither hate nor mistreat homosexuals, but if it were possible to "cure" them, I would. Though, I don't see how that would be possible, even though there's no scientifically discernable "gay gene." I view it as some sort of confusion, but I can't stop or cure them, and have no desire to treat them negatively in spite of my personal beliefs. So long as homosexuals and certain individuals don't try to brand/punish anyone who has a different viewpoint from them, we're good. I have no problem talking with homosexuals, but I'm not afraid to share with them my opinion should it come up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,630

What an excellent question.

Yes, I think if I could change their sexual orientation to hetero without violating their basic personality I probably would do it.

I think I would do it telling myself that I was doing for the kid, but I have the nagging suspicion that my motives would be less noble than that, too

Of course it is perfectly clear that changing something so fundamental as sexual orientation is likely to change the rest of a person's personality, too, isn't it?

What a great question!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,356
    Interesting point about personality. I am not sure that it matters much though. Your entire job as a parent is shaping and molding your child’s ‘personality ‘ to be the best they can and achieve happiness in their lives. In that, whether or not it changes personality, which I think is essentially a given, does not matter. Of Couse, such a statement depends heavily on AGE as well. Really, you might not want to force drastic changes on a 15 year old and, at least for me, that would be past the point that I would perform such a thing myself. However, pre-birth or less than say 3 I would be far more open to making those decisions. The main difference being that they have not achieved any sense of sexual self at that age so I don’t think that real damage would occur from such a fundamental change. If you are 15, it’s too late. You are already gay and that kind of change is something that you must want yourself not a decision that should be ripped out of your hands.

9. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,534
    Hey, don't laugh. My bet is there are plenty of backward fools people who actually believe this.

10. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,534
    I'm sure you both have reputable sources ......................................................