Would You Correc The Gay Gene???

I support gay rights and I fully support gay marriage, but I do have a question for gay right advocates. The argument is always that gays don't choose it, it chooses them. Meaning it's in there genes and it wires them that way. No saying it's a disease, but scientist are working with DNA to cure genetic diseases.

So the question is, if we could "cure" the gay strain in the DNA would you do it?
Of course not, it would be a ridiculous waste of time, money, and effort better spent on actual problems; diversity and dissent need to be celebrated, not feared.

And the notion of 'curing' homosexuality does indeed manifest as bigotry.

I support gay rights and I fully support gay marriage, but I do have a question for gay right advocates. The argument is always that gays don't choose it, it chooses them. Meaning it's in there genes and it wires them that way. No saying it's a disease, but scientist are working with DNA to cure genetic diseases.

So the question is, if we could "cure" the gay strain in the DNA would you do it?

I feel the same way about gay marriage. Just register, that's all I ask. And also agree that they are "born that way", and really don't care.

That said, I have little doubt -- wait, make that NO doubt -- that many or most would take advantage of such an opportunity.

Since that is the case, it seems pretty clear that the ability to offer such an opportunity would be a very good thing.

And for those who don't like the idea, don't take advantage of it.

If they desired it sure. But there is no way I would compel anyone to do anything. I'm not a dictator. Are you?
Who said anything at all about compulsion?

Of course not, it would be a ridiculous waste of time, money, and effort better spent on actual problems; diversity and dissent need to be celebrated, not feared.

And the notion of 'curing' homosexuality does indeed manifest as bigotry.
Only in small minds that have no room for anything that does not fit their preconceived notions.

The more relevant and realistic presentation of this ethical choice would be to consider it as analogous to Down Syndrome. In fact we do have a test that can detect this gene in the womb, and women (couples) have the ability to abort fetuses that are found to have that trait - and most do it, which is why such babies are dramatically less numerous than a few generations ago.

So if it were possible to determine early on in pregnancy that the child had "the gay gene," would you abort that child?

I guess for purposes of discussion, we would exclude people for whom abortion is always morally prohibitive, regardless of anything (The Roman Catholic view).

And we should assume that the parents are heterosexual.

My guess is that most parents would abort - and not tell anyone why.

No. Nothing wrong with a little variety, and interior decorating.

Not saying gayness is the equivalent of mental retardation, but most would say if you could care the genetic defects that cause mental retardation would you say variety is good?

Meaning it's in there genes and it wires them that way.

This is a false premise.

Only if you eliminate the premise which includes the word "if".

It is a legitimate question.

I look at it this way

My unborn child is tested and the Doctor tells me it will be born gay but there is a treatment that can reverse it, what do you do?

OP, was that your intent?

I'd reverse it because that way I'm saving him/her from the torment of millions of bastards who'd like to drive them towards suicide.

I'd take whatever I got and love him or her unconditionally. :thup:

I agree with loving them unconditionally and if any of my kids turned out gay I would love just that same as before I found out. It wouldn't change anything in my eyes.

However, I would say the same if my kids were born with down syndrome, but I would want to cure that if I could.

I know there is a catch 22, but gayness doesn't have to do with intelligence and gay people can have a happy and healthy life. While it is not apples to apples, I am still presenting it.

Meaning it's in there genes and it wires them that way.

This is a false premise.

Only if you eliminate the premise which includes the word "if".

It is a legitimate question.

I look at it this way

My unborn child is tested and the Doctor tells me it will be born gay but there is a treatment that can reverse it, what do you do?

OP, was that your intent?

I'd reverse it because that way I'm saving him/her from the torment of millions of bastards who'd like to drive them towards suicide.

I'd take whatever I got and love him or her unconditionally. :thup:

I agree with loving them unconditionally and if any of my kids turned out gay I would love just that same as before I found out. It wouldn't change anything in my eyes.

However, I would say the same if my kids were born with down syndrome, but I would want to cure that if I could.

I know there is a catch 22, but gayness doesn't have to do with intelligence and gay people can have a happy and healthy life. While it is not apples to apples, I am still presenting it.

Our responsibilty as parents is to give our children the best chance at a happy life that we can. Some would say if they're gay or not let it be

I'm good with that

Others would say, I would make the change.

I'm good with that too.

These are personal decisions.

I'm good leaving the individual parents in charge of making this "if" decision

If government got involved

I'm not good with that.

The more relevant and realistic presentation of this ethical choice would be to consider it as analogous to Down Syndrome. In fact we do have a test that can detect this gene in the womb, and women (couples) have the ability to abort fetuses that are found to have that trait - and most do it, which is why such babies are dramatically less numerous than a few generations ago.

So if it were possible to determine early on in pregnancy that the child had "the gay gene," would you abort that child?

I guess for purposes of discussion, we would exclude people for whom abortion is always morally prohibitive, regardless of anything (The Roman Catholic view).

The sad part is that I think you are correct. I wouldn't dream of doing something so rash as to killing my child because they were gay - that is insane in my eyes - but I certainly would 'cure' it if the possibility were present.

The sad part is that I think you are correct. I wouldn't dream of doing something so rash as to killing my child because they were gay - that is insane in my eyes - but I certainly would 'cure' it if the possibility were present.

Realistically, you and 95% probably would.

If it was my child, and we were aware of it before he/she truly had the opportunity to grow into and fully understand his/her sexuality, then yes I would change it. If, on the other hand, he/she had already accepted his/her own sexuality and was comfortable with it, then no, I would not see that as being beneficial.

Forum List

Back