Would You Convict?

Why the hell would the cops order someone to drive drunk?

The cops admit they ordered Conners to drive, but claim he did not say he had been drinking and they could see no signs of it in him. Conners claims he did tell the cops, and it seems clear he called friends for a ride at the traffic stop and told them as well. There's no question he had been drinking.

Some posters on this thread theorize Conners drank heavily after the traffic stop and before the accident. That's possible, I suppose, but his BAL was triple the legal limit when finally tested....doesn't seem likely he was sober then.

I do believe the cops fucked up, but then the question is, even if they did, is Conners still guilty?

It would still be manslaughter wouldn't it? I don't see the guy getting off scot free unless the cops pulled out their guns and made him drive away. I personally don't get behind the wheel when I am hammered for anyone, and I would let the cops beat me if need be if they tried to force me.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who got a DUI in the Military, he came to the gate with a couple civilian friends to pick me up to go to the club and since this was a Military base the security guard at the gate told him to drive the civilians to the visitor center and come back to pick me up, he did that and when he came back he was arrested for a DUI. During the trial it was mentioned well if he was drunk why did the security guard let him drive away? of course nothing happened to the security guard, just like nothing will happen to the cops in this case.

Why the hell would the cops order someone to drive drunk?

The cops admit they ordered Conners to drive, but claim he did not say he had been drinking and they could see no signs of it in him. Conners claims he did tell the cops, and it seems clear he called friends for a ride at the traffic stop and told them as well. There's no question he had been drinking.

Some posters on this thread theorize Conners drank heavily after the traffic stop and before the accident. That's possible, I suppose, but his BAL was triple the legal limit when finally tested....doesn't seem likely he was sober then.

I do believe the cops fucked up, but then the question is, even if they did, is Conners still guilty?

It would still be manslaughter wouldn't it? I don't see the guy getting off scot free unless the cops pulled out their guns and made him drive away. I personally don't get behind the wheel when I am hammered for anyone, and I would let the cops beat me if need be if they tried to force me.

Most people on this thread seem to agree with you, High Gravity. I say the combination of extreme intoxication and police coercion -- they threatened to arrest him if he did not drive away, and there was no one else to look after that baby -- was enough to overwhelm his free will.

I'd prolly find him innocent...and I think these cops should at least also be prosecuted for negligent homicide.

Most people on this thread seem to agree with you, High Gravity. I say the combination of extreme intoxication and police coercion -- they threatened to arrest him if he did not drive away, and there was no one else to look after that baby -- was enough to overwhelm his free will.

I'd prolly find him innocent...and I think these cops should at least also be prosecuted for negligent homicide.

Actually if they can prove he was really drunk he might walk if he has a good lawyer, they could say he wasnt in the right frame of mind, what do you think?

yes he is guilty...he had more options....cabs will haul your drunken ass anywhere for the right amount of money.....something isnt right about this story....even if the cops tell you to drive on...you can go to the nearest parking lot and then call a cab...people make all kinds of excuses for their behavior

Forum List

Back