Would you be willing to die for your country?

Another insult to the U.S. Military. Nobody wants to die including the bravest and the best America has in the U.S. Military. It seems strange that a prog would bring up the issue while America is facing a maniac jihad suicide culture. "Your duty is to make sure that the other poor dumb bastard dies for his country"... General Patton. Read the citations in the Medal of Honor book for inspiration.

Americans don't know the word "patriotism"!!
It seems to me that most of the kids that join the military today are looking for a way to pay for college or get out of a bad situation. They join up and then they're brainwashed by the military to ignore the question of whether or not they should kill and instead are told that it is right and brave and valorous to kill the right people.
The more I learn about the history of war and the nature of politics, the more I see these kids as being exploited. I'm American and I would never die for my country, my constitution, or for any cause that is based entirely on illusory buzzwords like "freedom" or "liberty". That said, I would have never been able to reach that conclusion if I had been brainwashed at 18 to believe in ideas like "Just War Theory".
Would you die for your country?
images
Depends on what the issue is.
It is not a market. I am not a merchant. We are not trading.
Whatever you want: independence, prosperity or a victory in a war.
You see: we are speaking about patriotism and you want some guarantees or insurance . Patriotism has no price like our Motherland.
It is not trolling. I know what I am speaking about.

Really, how many years did you serve, how many young people have you talked to that were considering joining the military? I seriously doubt you have any clue what you're talking about. Also your opinion is no more valid than the next guys.

As an american, My feelings exactly.
Having never served in the military, you could drop me off in Afghanistan and a four star general can put a gun in my hands and yell at me all day that I need to charge the lines to repel the invading taliban, and I'd laugh.
I will never die for this idea.

Did you bury it?

My family bought it, with sweat and blood. Then a man named Lincoln destroyed it. We tried to rebuild it, under a new name, but Mr, Lincoln was unwilling to allow us to separate peacefully, and eventually he destroyed it again. In the end he paid the ultimate price for doing so, but it was too little, too late.

As an american, My feelings exactly.
Having never served in the military, you could drop me off in Afghanistan and a four star general can put a gun in my hands and yell at me all day that I need to charge the lines to repel the invading taliban, and I'd laugh.
I will never die for this idea.
Then we can shit hole you and no one would care..

Did you bury it?

My family bought it, with sweat and blood. Then a man named Lincoln destroyed it. We tried to rebuild it, under a new name, but Mr, Lincoln was unwilling to allow us to separate peacefully, and eventually he destroyed it again. In the end he paid the ultimate price for doing so, but it was too little, too late.
My Mom's side of the family lived in Ohio when the Civil War broke out, they refused to take sides and were driven out of Ohio, where they resettled in Texas after it was taken out of the war...Around 1863...

It seems to me that most of the kids that join the military today are looking for a way to pay for college or get out of a bad situation. They join up and then they're brainwashed by the military to ignore the question of whether or not they should kill and instead are told that it is right and brave and valorous to kill the right people.
The more I learn about the history of war and the nature of politics, the more I see these kids as being exploited. I'm American and I would never die for my country, my constitution, or for any cause that is based entirely on illusory buzzwords like "freedom" or "liberty". That said, I would have never been able to reach that conclusion if I had been brainwashed at 18 to believe in ideas like "Just War Theory".
images

No.........I would rather make the enemy die for his country.

My Mom's side of the family lived in Ohio when the Civil War broke out, they refused to take sides and were driven out of Ohio, where they resettled in Texas after it was taken out of the war...Around 1863...

Part of my father's family started with the French & Indian War, through the American Revolution, War of 1812, etc... When it got to the War of Northers Aggression, they chose not to fight for the Union (my family has always lived in New England) and a trio of cousins sold pretty much everything they owned to buy supplies and get on a train headed for Richmond, VA the day after Virginia seceeded. We know they got there and enlisted, but that's the last contact they ever had with the family in New England.

Any thread with an OP that includes ". Americans don't know..." Is very likely to be a troll thread.

To die for country is not fashionable if such threads are posted :D

Seriously, I'd die for my family and my friends, but not for the government.

images

it is definitely an interesting question. I definitely think that fighting for ones country is a patriotic thing. The whole motivation is precisely that which is probably why people in the military are more patriotic than anyone else. However, the idea that someone wouldn't pick up,arms in the defense of their country seems stupid. What if Canada decided to invade? That would mean a loss of control over your country. How would it be wrong not to I that situation?

Silly OP. Heard the argument that Americans are too patriotic, but never not patriotic enough.

OP must have never heard of american exceptionalism, which is used to justify the often irrational belief that the US has the best x, even if OECD data analysis contradicts it.

I have always felt that phrases like "he died for his country" or "he was honored to die for his country", etc, were always a crock.
I don't believe anyone truly wishes to give their life for a country, I think the accurate way to put it is more something like this: "he was willing to RISK his life for his country", but always assumed he would survive.

Forum List

Back