Would you be willing to contradict your political ideology

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by LockeJaw, May 14, 2014.

1. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,218
    You don't want me to do anything....

But your asking if I'd be willing to compromise.

How can I not do anything and compromise?

2. LockeJaw

LockeJaw BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    You know what, that did sound stupid. I assume people follow my thoughts without being clear. My bad, Samson. I am saying if you were an elected official...so yeah it is wanting you to do something in this hypothetical situation.

3. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +564
    The most fundamental tenet of the Austrian School is to ignore all data and make decisions on a priori principles. This also requires making no verifiable predictions. In such a universe it doesn't matter what other viewpoints think at all. The only thing that matters is dedication to the philosophical principles. Austrians by self-definition cannot compromise or be pragmatic. Therefore the endeavor is a contradiction in terms.

4. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    In order for me to compromise my conservative principles I would have to know what specific changes are being proposed since I'm not acquainted with Austrian school economic theory.

5. sameech

sameech VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You might want to consider reading about universal pragmatism and/or the work of Jürgen Habermas.

To answer your question, it would depend on how strongly held my particular value/opinion at issue is.

6. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,218
    So, the hypothetical situation is:

I'm an elected official given the opportunity to compromise.

The question is: Would I be willing to contradict my political ideology.

Why is compromising the same as contradicting? I can see where this may be the case, but not in every case.

For example: George Bush said, "READ MY LIPS, NO NEW TAXES!!!"

Then he signed a bill creating new taxes, then he lost re-election.

7. Zombie_Pundit

Zombie_Pundit Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There is a book you might like called The Limits of Idealism: When Good Intentions Go Bad

"It doesn't matter whether a cat is white or black, as long as it catches mice."
    -Deng Xiaoping

Politics is the art of the possible, not any one person's ideal. So my answer is yes.

8. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Austrian economics? Is there such a thing? The hippies are gone, the freedom loving communitarian is extinct, the self sufficient farmer is rarer than the dodo bird, but somehow, someway, the libertarian thrives in America, usually in the dorm, the basement of their parent's home, or even the kitchen table. Long live the libertarian, for without fantasy how would we survive, where would hope go.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/189696-libertarian-flame.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/50564-libertarianism-in-a-nutshell-ii.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean...od-books-on-libertarianism-3.html#post7425296

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean...hich-is-the-shorter-distance.html#post5830256

"Core morality tells us that people have a right to what they earn by their own efforts freely exercised. It is this part of core morality that Ayn Rand objectivists, libertarians, and other right wingers tap into when they insist that taxation is slavery... The trouble with such arguments is that nothing is earned, nothing is deserved. Even if there really were moral rights to the fruit of our freely exercised abilities and talents, these talents and abilities are never freely acquired or exercised. Just as your innate and acquired intelligence and abilities are unearned, so also are your ambitions, along with the discipline, the willingness to train, and other traits that have to be combined with your talents and abilities to produce anything worthwhile at all.... We don't earn our inborn (excuse the expression "God given") talents and abilities. We had nothing to do with whether these traits were conferred on us or not. Similarly, we didn't earn the acquired character traits needed to convert these talents into achievements. They, too, were the result of deterministic processes (genetic and cultural) that were set in motion long before we were born. That is what excludes the possibility that we earned or deserve them. We were just lucky to have the combination of hardwired abilities and learned ambitions that resulted in the world beating a path to our door....No one ever earned or deserved the traits that resulted in the inequalities we enjoy - greater income and wealth, better health and longer life, admiration and social distinction, comfort, and leisure. Therefore, no one, including us, has a moral right to those inequalities. Core morality may permit unearned inequalities, but it is certainly not going to require them without some further moral reason to do so." Alex Rosenberg 'The Atheist's Guide to Reality'

9. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,930

In the intensely narcissistic world that is contemporary American politics, mature cooperation has been confused with abject capitulation.

Why?

I think the primary culprits are the division pimps, those (primarily in the media) who have a vested financial/career interest in keeping their flocks angry at the "other side". Everything is binary, all or nothing, kill or be killed. And you simply cannot have that in a civilized republic. It has spread from the division pimps to their flocks to our "representatives", and that's where the damage is really done.

USMB is a perfect example of this behavior.

Someone needs to come along and somehow inspire the more mature and clear-thinking among us to marginalize these people before it's too late.

That is, if it isn't too late.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,629
    I'm a libertarian as well but I'm not an idealog. I compromise on a few issues.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1