Would you be in favor of a repeal of smoking bans ....

Would you be in favor of a repeal of smoking bans in bars and retaurants?

• No. They are fair.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes. They are unfair.

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No. They are unfair but I prefer they remain.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes. They are fair but I'd rather they be lifted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
Hey - Ang - Nominate me!!!! lol

I can understand that some people hate the smell. But come on. You obviously have never really handled an overloaded dirty diaper have you? Or taught high school. The smell of tobacco coming from the boys' room is a welcome odor compared to the BO and farts eminating from hygiene challenged teenagers.
Dirty diapers stink pretty bad but nobody ever got asthma from one or risked cancer or heart disease. Cholera maybe ..

But in both cases, smoking when someone is eating or changing your kid's diaper on the dinner table, I can't imagine why anyone with an ounce of decency would do it?

Ang never in my life did I patronize any dining establishment that allowed smoking, that didn't ask if I wanted to be in a non-smoking section.
Non smoking sections didn't work.

What about allowing smoking on flights?

That goes beyond convenience and becomes a clear and present safety issue.

That would be the kind of regulation I support, because I as a passenger can not control my own destiny if someone else goes and lights up a cig and accidentally catches the plane on fire.

In the airport, however, I can simply walk away.
Speaking of fires started by cigarettes, did you know that most house fires are started by someone being careless with a cigarette?

Where are you going with that?

Dirty diapers stink pretty bad but nobody ever got asthma from one or risked cancer or heart disease. Cholera maybe ..

But in both cases, smoking when someone is eating or changing your kid's diaper on the dinner table, I can't imagine why anyone with an ounce of decency would do it?

Ang never in my life did I patronize any dining establishment that allowed smoking, that didn't ask if I wanted to be in a non-smoking section.

Define "work" in this case.

Define "work" in this case.
They didn't keep the smoke from wafting into the other sections. They didn't protect the servers who were assigned to those stations. They were an experiment that failed. Hence the bans.

eel, I love ya doll, but let me ask you this. IF a tavern, bar, or restaurant wants to have smokers as customers, and has a BIG ole sign on the front door saying:

This is a Smoking Establishment

What would be wrong with that?

YOU of course wouldn't go in there, or many of us that don't smoke, but at least the people have the freedom to choose to go in or not. Just as the servers/workers do too to work there, or go elsewhere for work like a Appleby's or something.

What do you think would be wrong with that scenario, letting the owner choose what he wants to do, and letting the customers decide if they want to go there or not?

eel, I love ya doll, but let me ask you this. IF a tavern, bar, or restaurant wants to have smokers as customers, and has a BIG ole sign on the front door saying:

This is a Smoking Establishment

What would be wrong with that?

YOU of course wouldn't go in there, or many of us that don't smoke, but at least the people have the freedom to choose to go in or not. Just as the servers/workers do too to work there, or go elsewhere for work like a Appleby's or something.

What do you think would be wrong with that scenario, letting the owner choose what he wants to do, and letting the customers decide if they want to go there or not?
Echo, I love you too. But see my posts in Civil Disobedience if you want to know more about my views. I answer all those questions there.

In this thread I'm interested in seeing how USMB members vote. I'm especially curious to see if any think the bans are unfair but want them anyway or if any think they are fair but don't want them for other reasons.

Hey - Ang - Nominate me!!!! lol

I can understand that some people hate the smell. But come on. You obviously have never really handled an overloaded dirty diaper have you? Or taught high school. The smell of tobacco coming from the boys' room is a welcome odor compared to the BO and farts eminating from hygiene challenged teenagers.

Not to mention that these places smell like hell anyway.
Totally hear ya on the Jr/High school gyms. Those are the worst.

Business owners should not be forced to cater to certain type of customer, unless for the obvious. Especially if they're privately owned and operated. And forget the larger franchises/corp stores, I'm referring to the individual single entity owner/operators. They're the ones that took the big hit. Oh - and the increasing of minimum wage, didn't help them either.

This is America and a owner of a business should have the right to target who they want as customers. It is not your god given right to be a customer. If a bar owner wants to have smokers in his bar he should be able to put a sign on the front door telling all who is entering, that the establishment is a smoking establishment and if they don't agree with this policy go on moving down the street to another bar!!! Once the government helps an owner run and operate the business then they should have a right to tell the owner how to run the business. if not butt out!!!!

This is America and a owner of a business should have the right to target who they want as customers. It is not your god given right to be a customer. If a bar owner wants to have smokers in his bar he should be able to put a sign on the front door telling all who is entering, that the establishment is a smoking establishment and if they don't agree with this policy go on moving down the street to another bar!!! Once the government helps an owner run and operate the business then they should have a right to tell the owner how to run the business. if not butt out!!!!
You are such a credit to the repealers. They must be proud to have you on their side.

I believe that if a person invests in a bar or eating establishment, and pays all of the fees and taxes that are imposed on that establishment, pays the salaries for the people that work there, and pays all the other money that is required of him to own that establishment, then he should be considered the true owner of that said establishment. If he owns it, he should be able to set the rules concerning smoking or not smoking in the business. He can have a smoking section or a non-smoking section as he sees fit. If the general public does not care for his establishment and the way he runs it (be it a smoking or non-smoking establishment) they will either frequent the establishment or not frequent the establishment. The choice should be his to make though. If smoking in his establishment offends you then you should keep your mouth shut and your opinion to yourself and go someplace that you approve of.

Yes I favor repeal of these laws.

Not because they are fair or unfair, fuck fair.

If you don't want to be around smokers, then take your business elsewhere.

I would like to see it repealed in bars and bingo halls. We had two bingo halls close that raised money for two different charities, and many of the bars saw a decrease in their profit due to the ban. I am fine with it not being in restratraunts but I don't see any way around only allowing it in certain places. Why don't they give businesses incentives to not allow smoking, instead of just banning it? For one it is the small businesses that are most effective by these restrictions.

I'm surprised at the survey results. I am a smoker and not proud of that fact. However, I do not smoke in my house or around my kids. I cannot smoke within 500 feet of my workplace, and of course there is a smoking ban in NJ. It has cut down my habit which is a good thing.

However... When I am out with friends at a bar, I NEED a cigarette. I have no problem going outside during decent weather, but I rarely go to bars in the winter for that reason. I am not alone and many businesses around here are hurting. NJ was considering allowing bars to put in separate areas with ventilation, while at the same time discussing a total ban. None of the bar owners wanted to invest in high tech machines and new construction when they feared that that soon would be outlawed as well. So they didn't do it and the total ban went into effect.

Currently outside bars permit smoking, but there is talk about disallowing that as well. They actually wanted it banned 25 feet from any building, which may be coming soon. Some NJ beaches and boardwalks have also banned it. It's gone too far. When people can no longer smoke OUTSIDE, it has nothing to do with non-smoker's rights. It's about the "health nazis". And that should concern everyone.

They want the tax money, but then tell people it's practically illegal. They shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways.

Oh and as a teacher, we have no control over teen smoking anymore. Unless the student is caught with cig in hand, and is proven to be smoking BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT, no one even enforces it anymore. Thank the lawyers.

... in bars and restaurants?

no, what is done is done, I have always agreed with a smoking ban in restaurants it is kind of ignorant for somebody to light up when people at the next table are eating a meal, in bars I can waver on this but its nice not to smell nasty after going home after a night out drinking in a smokeless bar.

Absolutely.

Contrary to the disingenuous semantics, bars and restaurants are not "public places".

They are private businesses on private property, which are open to the public.

They still have to abide by the health codes, a private establishment can not serve rancid meat legally if they choose to do so either.

Forum List

Back