Would the Tea Party Run a 3rd-Party Candidate if Romney Wins?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toro, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,089
    I hadn't thought about that until I read it this afternoon.

Republican Purity Test May Be Obama

I'd be interested in the Tea Party members' opinions about this.

2. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Is the tea party smart enough not to do this? Essentially, the tea party would take votes away from Romney. David Axelrod has wet dreams about a Tea Party third party run.

3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    No.

4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,950
    Two words, Toro...

Ross Perot.

5. bitterlyclingin

bitterlyclingin Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449
    (I've heard it said that most of the people on the Right feel such an overwhelming and compelling need to get Obama out of the WhiteHouse as soon as possible that they would subjugate their own philosophies for the common good, One and Done! Do it, get it over with, get him gone, pick up the pieces and start rebuilding. The Left will riot. What do they have to lose? Right now the Left is busy on Wall Street demanding that the less than fifty per cent who pay for the free stuff that the over fifty per cent currently receive get ready to give them more free stuff. Roseann Barr, from the far Left's fever swamps is saying that the left needs to start decapitating the bankers and the rich who won't let go of their wealth.)

"Actress, comedienne and now author Roseanne Barr shares her solution for dealing with the rich and how the banks could repay the money the U.S. government bailed them out with in 2008.

"Part of my platform is, of course, the guilty must be punished and that we no longer let our children see their guilty leaders getting away with murder. Because it teaches children, you know, that they don't have to have any morals as long as they have guns and are bullies and I don't think that's a good message," Barr told Russia Today (RT).

"I do say that I am in favor of the return of the guillotine and that is for the worst of the worst of the guilty."

Roseanne Barr: Behead Bankers, Rich Who Won't Give Up Wealth | RealClearPolitics

6. DontBeStupid

DontBeStupid Look it up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +422
    I am certainly no TPer, but I would love to see them run their own candidate. Yes, it would ensure an Obama win, but that's a short term view. In the long term, it would be so much better for our country to have 3 national, viable political parties.

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,030
    Well, I'm not a Tea Partier, although I think they have some valid points.

Frankly, I can't see the TEA movement getting behind Romney. A primary motivator of this movement was their oppossition to ObamaCare. Romney came up with the "Beta Version" of it.

I think that there has always been this divide between the base- mostly working class (which I am), mostly religious (which I'm not) - and the establishment in Washington which preaches to this base but has kind of a secret disdain for them.

Nominating Romney would tick off a lot of this base- the Evangelicals, the Tea Party. Yet the Establishment is pretty much pulling out all the stops for this guy because... well, honestly I have no idea. He was a shit candidate in 2008, he's a worse one now.

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    The democrats have the tea party confused with the purist republicans. The tea party's interests are very narrow. It's fiscal. It is all about big government being too expensive. That's the only common thread.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,030
    Only reason Ross Perot didn't win in 1992 was because he was batshit crazy.

Right now, both parties have approval rates in the 20's. that means that at least 50% of the electorate is saying, "A Pox on both your houses."

Honestly, I am amazed that we haven't seen a clamoring for a third party in this country. One not owned by big corporations.

Nominating the Weird Mormon Robot might be the thing that pushes it over the edge.

10. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    To paraphrase the punch line from the old joke: they may be crazy but they’re not stupid.

Before that there was ‘Bull Moose.’