Would restricting video uploads be violating free speech?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I don't even know how you would monitor/restrict video uploads to social media but it seems that this relatively new phenomenon has some major side effects. If we had the technology to do it, would it be a violation of the First amendment to restrict video uploads especially containing violent/bloody images? What do you think?

Well, f the company does it, there is no constitutional issue. If government does it, there is.

It would be a violation of the first amendment yes. And video removes any lying narrative that someone would want to put on an event so they shouldn't be restricted. All cops should wear video cameras. This will protect the professional cops who do their job properly and it will convict bad cops that don't. As will videos made by civilians.

I don't even know how you would monitor/restrict video uploads to social media but it seems that this relatively new phenomenon has some major side effects. If we had the technology to do it, would it be a violation of the First amendment to restrict video uploads especially containing violent/bloody images? What do you think?

No.

Websites are like someone's home. It'd be like going into someone's home and demanding to show them a video they know they don't want to see. You don't have the right to do that.

Free speech isn't unlimited. If the govt prevents you doing it on ANY website then you'd have your free speech being violated. Individual websites can't prevent you showing your video on the internet, they can just prevent you doing it on their site.

Just to be clear: the doctrine of free speech concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed.

Assuming the OP is referring to private entities such as Facebook, no free speech violation would occur should such an entity prohibit uploading video it considers offensive.

I think that as usual you are wacko.

Any medium that is owned by someone does not have a free speech requirement.

True, but shouldn't that really apply to all constitutional amendments?

every site that is privately owned can refuse to put up or delete anything.

you can bitch about it, but they can delete your bitching

cracks me up to see the leftist in here supporting the 1st when we all know damn well that the first site to deny gays the postings of their wedding vids is getting it in the ass.

pun intended.

Well it does. Right to bare arms, doesn't mean that you can walk on my private property and demand I allow you to keep your gun on your person.

Now I believe private people should allow such things, and I certainly support it. But that doesn't mean that you can force, say a business owner to allow you to walk around armed, because you have the 2nd amendment.

What is always ironic is that people who think the freedom of speech is universal and unlimited, instantly contradict themselves when a Jehovah Witness or Mormon, get a step inside their front door, and start preaching.

If you truly believe that freedom of speech is universal and unlimited, then you should be consistent with your belief, and stand there and take all the preaching anyone wants to preach at you.

But when someone starts talking about anything you don't like, suddenly that freedom of speech goes out the window, and you demand they be prevented from speaking.

No because anyone can get their own website and upload all the crap they want.

No one has to offer you a venue to exercise free speech

Well it does. Right to bare arms, doesn't mean that you can walk on my private property and demand I allow you to keep your gun on your person.

Now I believe private people should allow such things, and I certainly support it. But that doesn't mean that you can force, say a business owner to allow you to walk around armed, because you have the 2nd amendment.

What is always ironic is that people who think the freedom of speech is universal and unlimited, instantly contradict themselves when a Jehovah Witness or Mormon, get a step inside their front door, and start preaching.

If you truly believe that freedom of speech is universal and unlimited, then you should be consistent with your belief, and stand there and take all the preaching anyone wants to preach at you.

But when someone starts talking about anything you don't like, suddenly that freedom of speech goes out the window, and you demand they be prevented from speaking.
Right, the constitution applies to the government, I never said take guns into a person's house, you are king of your castle, but according to the constitution, no government entities should restrict speech unless it causes an immediate danger (and never ever should restrict political speech). So I think professors that try to bar conservative speakers, should be brought up on violations of civil rights, unless they are at private schools.

Here we go! There has been this duplicitous bs going on where people say that body cams would help. In the next breath they tell you videos dont show the "whole story" whatever that means.

So what they are prepping you for is to claim that video or body cams WONT help at all and arent to be believed. Neither are witnesses on the scene.

So who can you get the quote unquote "whole story" from?

The cops. Only their word is good. Not video, not eye witnesses, not body cams.

Here we go! There has been this duplicitous bs going on where people say that body cams would help. In the next breath they tell you videos dont show the "whole story" whatever that means.

So what they are prepping you for is to claim that video or body cams WONT help at all and arent to be believed. Neither are witnesses on the scene.

No dipshit, the problem is your brain is limited. Let's see what other information do they have? Hmmmm, maybe the dispatcher has them looking for someone with a similar description? Maybe, they have other information like where in the city it is, maybe it's a high crime area? Maybe there are all other kinds of information that you don't know just from a camera?

No dipshit, the problem is your brain is limited. Let's see what other information do they have? Hmmmm, maybe the dispatcher has them looking for someone with a similar description? Maybe, they have other information like where in the city it is, maybe it's a high crime area? Maybe there are all other kinds of information that you don't know just from a camera?

Feel free to disagree with anything I said. But I'm not interested in your game of maybes

depends on who is doing it

Forum List

Back