Would conscription be beneficial to the nation as a whole?

Me pesonally? I'm for conscription. Nothing like being treated like an adult and having responsibility forced on you, being held accountable for your actions at a young age to wake up a lazy ass, non working, irresponsible pothead!!!!

Dang you sound well hung.

ponch.jpg

Notice the only ones whining about having to serve in the military are liberals. Funny how that works isn't it?

or real conservatives that don't want to force anything on people that they don't want. you know - small government, free people, individual choice, etc.

The problem with conscription of any kind, is that only the lower-class are conscripted.

It doesn't matter of it's 1968 or 1863

Wrong.

Try again. Conscription means EVERYONE. Draft means whoever can get out of it... can.

It doesn't make a fucking difference what you call it. The end result will be the same.

Even if it is equitable, it's morally wrong to force a rifle into the hands of young men who don't want to kill. Given the inability to apply the CO status, that's not a good out for that situation either.

The bottom line is that professional soldiers deserve better than to be stuck with people that don't want to be there and regular citizens deserve better than to be forced into mandatory service.

The law is the law. Morals don't have anything to do with it. Who said anything about not being able to apply the CO status? If the conscript is a conscientous objector then there are other areas in the military where they can serve. The Armed Forces need rear echelon types as well.....and in case you didn't know...even in the volunteer force we have today there ARE professional soldiers who are stuck with people who DO NOT want to be there.

The law is the law. Morals don't have anything to do with it. Who said anything about not being able to apply the CO status? If the conscript is a conscientous objector then there are other areas in the military where they can serve. The Armed Forces need rear echelon types as well.....and in case you didn't know...even in the volunteer force we have today there ARE professional soldiers who are stuck with people who DO NOT want to be there.

it is wrong no matter what way you spin. you are forcing free people to do something they don't want to. that would be considered quite "un-american" I would say

it is wrong no matter what way you spin. you are forcing free people to do something they don't want to. that would be considered quite "un-american" I would say

and that's why there will never be a draft again in this country. Conscription was done away with in the 1970's according to wiki...
and a note to the libs...the draft was NEVER ruled unconstitutional so like I said...the law is the law....even if it upsets people like 2panzies.

and that's why there will never be a draft again in this country. Conscription was done away with in the 1970's according to wiki...
and a note to the libs...the draft was NEVER ruled unconstitutional so like I said...the law is the law....even if it upsets people like 2panzies.

but what do you think about it? do you think free people should be forced into doing something they don't want to? Even if you are assigned a desk job in the "sit and do nothing all day" department, if you didn't willing choose to do that job then you are being forced and are no longer free.

but what do you think about it? do you think free people should be forced into doing something they don't want to? Even if you are assigned a desk job in the "sit and do nothing all day" department, if you didn't willing choose to do that job then you are being forced and are no longer free.

Sometimes we all have to do stuff we don't like. Sending an 18 year old kid to 10 weeks of bootcamp and then having him serve a 2 year commitment to his country is little to ask for the freedom he will enjoy the other 70 years of his life. If Obama want's everyone in America to attend college on the government dime I say serve your country for 2 years and we will make it happen. ....but there will always be some who are opposed to anything especially when they don't get something for nothing in return.

Wrong.

Try again. Conscription means EVERYONE. Draft means whoever can get out of it... can.

It doesn't make a fucking difference what you call it. The end result will be the same.

Even if it is equitable, it's morally wrong to force a rifle into the hands of young men who don't want to kill. Given the inability to apply the CO status, that's not a good out for that situation either.

The bottom line is that professional soldiers deserve better than to be stuck with people that don't want to be there and regular citizens deserve better than to be forced into mandatory service.

Yeah, the "law is the law". And the law has always been crooked by the rich and powerful to get themselves and their sons out of combat. Unless you truly believe that George Bush joined the TARNG out of some deep desire to serve his nation. (If you do, you're clueless. Bush admitted he joined the TARNG because he "didn't want to blow his eardrum out with a shotgun or run to Canada").

Bush isn't unique. He's just the most recent example. Clinton got out too. As did Cheney. In the Civil War, the wealthy got out of military service. Even if we did find a way to get the wealthy into uniform, their parents would use their connections to get them into REMF jobs and the poor would still be stuck in the Infantry.

BTW, I know we have people in a volunteer military who don't want to fight. An alarming percentage of Army soldiers have never deployed to either sandbox.

Sometimes we all have to do stuff we don't like. Sending an 18 year old kid to 10 weeks of bootcamp and then having him serve a 2 year commitment to his country is little to ask for the freedom he will enjoy the other 70 years of his life. If Obama want's everyone in America to attend college on the government dime I say serve your country for 2 years and we will make it happen. ....but there will always be some who are opposed to anything especially when they don't get something for nothing in return.

not sure what obama & free college has to do with it. I did go to college for free but it was due to an academic scholarship based on my gpa & ACT score aka i earned it. why should I then have to waste 10 weeks in a boot camp and "serve" the country doing simple crap before I can continue my education which now allows me to do useful things in society.

not sure what obama & free college has to do with it. I did go to college for free but it was due to an academic scholarship based on my gpa & ACT score aka i earned it. why should I then have to waste 10 weeks in a boot camp and "serve" the country doing simple crap before I can continue my education which now allows me to do useful things in society.

Obviously you weren't paying attention in the 2008 campaign race for president. Obama campaigned on providing a college education for all Americans on the tax payers dime.....anyway...so serving your country is CRAP huh...well fuck you very much and thanks for your support. You just spit on every vet and Armed Forces member in the history of the country. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Last edited:
Obviously you weren't paying attention in the 2008 campaign race for president. Obama campaigned on providing a college education for all Americans on the tax payers dime.....anyway...so serving your country is CRAP huh...well fuck you very much and thanks for your support. You just spit on every vet and Armed Forces member in the history of the country. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Hyperbole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I specifically said that serving in the military after high school would not have allowed *ME* to contribute in the best way to society. I said nothing about other people doing it.

Hyperbole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I specifically said that serving in the military after high school would not have allowed *ME* to contribute in the best way to society. I said nothing about other people doing it.

Uhhhhh...let me refresh your memory shit for brains......
I then have to waste 10 weeks in a boot camp and "serve" the country doing simple crap before I can continue my education which now allows me to do useful things

Your a pathetic excuse for an American....definately a liberal in the Code Pink mold. A hater of the military and all it stands for...why don't you leave this section of the website...you are soiling the flag and the country us vets took an oath to defend.

Simple crap? I am sure a superior genius like yourself could score high enough on the asvab to get one of those complicated technical jobs that the military offers the superior types like yourself.

Hell I bet you could score high enough to be a boatswains mate.

but what do you think about it? do you think free people should be forced into doing something they don't want to?
People are regularly forced into doing things they don't want to.
See the definition of Work
Very few are fortunate enough to love their jobs, particularly in the current market.

but what do you think about it? do you think free people should be forced into doing something they don't want to?
People are regularly forced into doing things they don't want to.
See the definition of Work
Very few are fortunate enough to love their jobs, particularly in the current market.

The difference being that you can choose where you work, and you can even choose if you want to work. Now there are consequences for our choices, but the choice is there. Conscription eliminates any choices. You are being forced, likely against your will, to serve the state. If you can be forced to serve, forced to go overseas, forced to kill, and forced into situations where your life is in danger then you are a slave to the government.

Conscription will be perfectly acceptable once we eliminate the Bill of Rights. When the government gets to decide our fates, individual rights are nothing more than pesky annoyances.

I say conscript, and let the people eat cake.

our government has proven too trigger happy to shuffle a new box of bullets. troop-intensive conventional warfare and fleet on fleet confrontation seems less and less likely, making a draft more and more moot for the sake of its millitary proceeds.

id entertain the idea if the millitary were used to combat other national security concerns like the state of our secondary education system, and the want for discipline there. it could play a role in bettering society and promote enlistment/candidacy as a choice rather than a [scary] part of the social contract.

if the millitary was a daily driver instead of a weekend warrior, megalomaniac politicians would be less likely to tear up the neighborhood with it.

Forum List

Back