Would Americans elect a protectionist president?

could either Trump or Sanders win their respective party's nominations?

trump is way ahead in the polls and sanders an open libcommie is doing well so, yes. The important issue is, do you understand why the world has turned to free trade!!

Because the most powerful economy in the world is willing to do so.

willing to do so based on what intellectual arguments??

We are willing to spread our wealth around the world, and other countries are willing to accept it. If we slapped tariffs on their goods, other countries would likely reciprocate. That is just human nature.

We are willing to spread our wealth around the world, and other countries are willing to accept it. If we slapped tariffs on their goods, other countries would likely reciprocate. That is just human nature.

yes dear, we know that trade wars are bad. They caused the Great Depression but nevertheless liberals want protectionism to cripple our industries and perhaps to start another depression. Do you understand?

yes dear, we know that trade wars are bad. They caused the Great Depression but nevertheless liberals want protectionism to cripple our industries and perhaps to start another depression. Do you understand?

I agree.

That's why Donald Trump is a liberal.

I agree.

That's why Donald Trump is a liberal.

Dear, a liberal on trade does not mean a liberal on everything.

"Free Trade" Was Never Really About Trade

"Free trade" is not trade. Basically, trade is when each country makes things of value for export and gets things of comparable value in imports. In modern globalization, other countries manipulate their currencies, use tax strategies that distort exports and imports, and apply effective well-designed industrial policies to build manufacturing capacity. They export more products to us, and import fewer products from us.
Our trade deficits since NAFTA are over $8 trillion. With trade deficits this large, we are not trading. We are letting other countries produce for us. We borrow, de-industrialize, and ultimately fail to capitalize on future production opportunities. That's not trade. That's getting picked clean.
2013-06-14-Goodsdeficit9213.8T.jpg

dear , a trade deficit is impossible since every dollar we send to China has to be spent in America. Do you understand? We buy with dollars which would have no value to them unless they could spend them. Do you understand?

Free trade is when free people voluntarily decide to trade because they feel they are both better off. Do you understand?

Ed, Ed, we've already gone through this : yes , trade deficits are possible ( in the short run ) and are one of the reasons why China has about 3.8 T in foreign reserves. Stop rehashing your arguments.

In the long run... Chinese might start shopping in the US and balance the trade deficit. But not all shopping is created equal. I am afraid they start buying land and capital goods.

On simplified taxes, and lowering them for creation of jobs...........Yes that would be what needs to be done to help stop some of the outsourcing, but it would still not stop the tide of those leaving.

1) i didn't say taxes, I said taxes unions deficits Do you understand?

2) Ireland lowered its corporate tax to 11% and most of the world's major corporations moved there in whole or in part. If we eliminated our tax we'd have 20 million new jobs the first year and 5 % growth for the next 20 years!

Nice theory Ed, except they (the irish ) haven't had any actual growth since 2008.
ireland gdp - Wolfram|Alpha

MSP24461gei2b940ch360hg00002dd41d0e2a6ih6bc

. I am afraid they start buying land and capital goods.

dear, they bought the Waldorf Astoria in NYC and many other places just like the Japanese did back in the day. See, the dollars come back unless they burn them. Now do you understand?

So ... suppose you (Ed ) owned a house, but I happen to own enough money to purchase it from you.
In the short run you get some money , in the long run I will get more money from renting the house. Nice Ed, sell the cow to buy the milk.

Last edited:

dear, they bought the Waldorf Astoria in NYC and many other places just like the Japanese did back in the day. See, the dollars come back unless they burn them. Now do you understand?

So ... suppose you (Ed ) owned a house, but I happen to own enough money to purchase it from you.
In the short run you get some money , in the long run I will get more money from renting the house. Nice Ed, sell the cow to buy the milk.
Hundred percent stupid course. Buy rent decission is not a clear obvious one which is why corporations do both. If you are worried about the Chinese having too much American money then you should End the liberal war on the schools and family and eliminate liberal taxes unions and deficits. Do you understand now?

Hundred percent stupid course. Buy rent decission is not a clear obvious one which is why corporations do both. If you are worried about the Chinese having too much American money then you should End the liberal war on the schools and family and eliminate liberal taxes unions and deficits. Do you understand now?
Not quite SpecialEd,
War on schools? Like allowing children to belive in creationism ?
Family. I've got nothing against family
Eliminate taxes? How would the government run ? Arguable the government had low taxes on the XIX century , but it had high tariffs to compensate.
Unions - Unions are already in its lowest point in the last 100 years, it is unlikely total dismantling will have any effect.
Deficits - Well , most of the US deficit comes from free trade... make up your mind.

In economics, protectionism is the economic policy of restraining trade between states (countries) through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other government regulations designed to allow (according to proponents) fair competition between imports and goods and services.

I personally don't have a problem with free trade. But free trade must also be fair trade or it kills American jobs and keeps wages low.
Free traders must follow the Law Of Comparative Advantage. As long as they do, tariffs and other restrictive trade policies only hurt the country imposing them.

Last edited:

Among the four candidates who lead in the polls (Trump, Cruz, Clinton, Sanders), only Hillary is for unfettered trade. Trade isn't a partisan issue in this country.

War on schools? Like allowing children to belive in creationism ?
thats so perfect a totally retarded liberal is worrying about a few schools that teach creationism and not that American kids now test out to be about the dumbest kids in the civilized world thanks to liberal union schools.

Family. I've got nothing against family

not talking about you, creep. Black kids are now born into broken homes 74% of the time thanks to the dastardly liberal war on the family.

You do realize that libertarians absolutely cant fathom that liberals can be so incredibly stupid. How can adults be dumber than tiny children? A liberal can ask the same question 1000 times and not know he's done it. I have given you the above answer 36 times now and yet you keep asking for the same answer.

Eliminate taxes? How would the government run ? Arguable the government had low taxes on the XIX century , but it had high tariffs to compensate.

eliminate the corporate tax so business can concentrate on business, not taxes. Imagine, GE just moved out of CT to avoid the tiny state tax while the federal tax is 4 times higher. Liberals are literally begging corps to take their jobs off shore.

Unions - Unions are already in its lowest point in the last 100 years, it is unlikely total dismantling will have any effect.

OMG!! unions have destroyed our schools making our kids about the dumbest in the civilized world. When foreign companies locate here they do go south where there are no unions but the threat of unions is always operating like a cancer trying to grow and always discouraging new business. 156th time you 've learned and forgotten that.creep liberal.

Forum List

Back