Wot I did on my vacation

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Back a few days now from my second trip to England this year.

That time of live to revisit old haunts to be sure they're still they still exist while I still exist.

For the fourth year I tried to see The Grahame-White Aircraft Factory Exhibit at The Royal Air Force Museum (Hendon) just outside London.

First year I overslept and they had closed minutes before I arrived.
Second year I arrived moments after the had shut down due to a security alert.
Third year the museum wing was closed as they prepared a major new World War I display.

This time I made it! Was third in the door ahead of the crowds. Here's one of the newly restored examples of wot those pioneer pilots flew:

IMG_0043 copy_edited-1.JPG

Brave souls, they!

Later in the trip a visit by evening to Fountains Abbey and a candle light Christmas Choir Concert. A simply beautiful place by day or night in any season:

IMG_0117-copy.jpg

Nearly 200 pictures in just two weeks....but no more posting unless requested.

I'd like to see some of the other work they've done at Hendon. I went to Cosford the last time I was there, so haven't seen what's going on at Hendon for a few years.

-- they all have headaches?

That one on the near corner -- her left arm is massive...

-- they all have headaches?

That one on the near corner -- her left arm is massive...

They're "Caryatids" columns designed in a female form to support something. In this case, the roof on a porch at the back of St. Pancras Church (Upper Woburn Place, London). These were carved to order in Greece for the purpose but the dimensions sent to the sculptors were wrong and they wouldn't fit! The salvage involved cutting several inches out of the mid-section of each, leading to a rather dumpy appearance. They accordingly are not heavily promoted as something to run and see.

Back a few days now from my second trip to England this year.

That time of live to revisit old haunts to be sure they're still they still exist while I still exist.

For the fourth year I tried to see The Grahame-White Aircraft Factory Exhibit at The Royal Air Force Museum (Hendon) just outside London.

First year I overslept and they had closed minutes before I arrived.
Second year I arrived moments after the had shut down due to a security alert.
Third year the museum wing was closed as they prepared a major new World War I display.

This time I made it! Was third in the door ahead of the crowds. Here's one of the newly restored examples of wot those pioneer pilots flew:

View attachment 35219
Brave souls, they!

Later in the trip a visit by evening to Fountains Abbey and a candle light Christmas Choir Concert. A simply beautiful place by day or night in any season:

View attachment 35220

Nearly 200 pictures in just two weeks....but no more posting unless requested.

I like your aircraft pics.....spent 20 years wrenching in commercial aviation . I've gone to many airshows and museums here, just love old iron. Your Abby pics are quite nice too.....I'd love to see old ruins and such some time.......they made heckuva structures back then but not too good on roofs. LOL

Actually they did some very nice roofs but Henry VIII tore them all off and melted down the lead with which they were covered. Some that escaped, even in the smaller churches, are very impressive. This one is in a parish church in Masham, North Yorkshire. The village where one finds The Black Sheep Brewery and Theakston's, brewers of the unique "Old Peculier" ale.

Masham-roof.jpg

There is an excellent display in York Minster of the structure of the roof of one wing of the cathedral that was completely rebuilt after a major fire.

Forum List

Back