Worthy proposes jail for parents who skip kids' school conferences From The Detroit

Intense

Aug 2, 2009
Prosecutor wants to punish those who skip kids' school conferences
Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit — Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is pushing for a law that calls for jail time for parents who skip parent-teacher conferences, a plan some call inspired and others consider the nanny state run amok.

Worthy pitched her plan Tuesday to the Detroit City Council and is shopping it to the Wayne County Commission and state Legislature. Drawing a link between parental involvement and youth crime, Worthy wants a sponsor to guide the idea to law.

Her plan would require parents to attend at least one conference per year or face three days in jail. Parents of those excelling in school would be exempt, as would those whose health issues make travel difficult and those "actively engaged" with teachers through e-mail, phone calls or letters.

"We have to find any means necessary to get parents involved," Worthy told the council. "We have to start talking about prevention.

"Some children don't have a chance the day they are born."

Worthy staffers said the proposed law would be the first in the nation. She said she prefers a statewide law, but would start with a city or countywide one.

No legislation is pending in the state House, county commission or council, but the proposal is generating plenty of talk — and controversy.

Wayne County Commissioner Laura Cox, R-Livonia, said Worthy's intentions are admirable but the prospect of jailing parents is "inappropriate on a lot of levels." A colleague, Kevin McNamara, D-Canton Township, said he feared a law would become a "tattletale version of pin the tail on the bad parent."

"The question is, 'How much government do I want in my life?'" McNamara said. "The reality is it would be an unenforceable mandate that we don't have time to do."

Daniel Lessard, a Livonia Public Schools board member, called the plan "the dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life."

"You can't legislate parental involvement," he said. "If the law forces parents to go, what will it do other than fill up a room with parents who don't want to be there?"

Worthy received a better reception before the council in Detroit, where school officials have complained about poor participation at parent-teacher conferences. Council President Pro-Tem Gary Brown said, "If you aren't involved in your child's education, and he or she is failing, it's child abuse."

Council President Charles Pugh said the proposed law would "send the right message."

"We know at some point there has to be a line drawn and people held responsible," Pugh said. "As lawmakers, we need to stop shaking our heads and look for opportunities to be bold but helpful."

Councilwoman Brenda Jones, though, worried how jailing parents would "rehabilitate them and get them engaged in their children's school."

Worthy also pitched the idea last week before the Detroit Public Schools Board of Education, which is considering it, said Anthony Adams, board president.

"We clearly need to do something about encouraging parents to be more involved in their child's education," Adams said.

"I don't necessarily agree we need to be punishing. We have to find a middle ground."

Worthy said she realizes the idea is controversial but said she wants to start the conversation. She said her office would work with service groups to ensure prosecuted parents have resources to get more involved.

Teachers would work to accommodate parents' schedules and the school would send reminders, Worthy said. Parents convicted under the law would have sentences delayed to give them another chance to attend the meetings. If they do, the case would be dismissed.

From The Detroit News: Worthy proposes jail for parents who skip kids' school conferences | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Please wake me when this is over. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
Not attending conferences is a symptom of poor parenting, not a cause. This silly proposal is like treating a headache caused by a brain tumor with a pain killer, and thinking that will cure the brain tumor.

"We clearly need to do something about encouraging parents to be more involved in their child's education," Adams said.

No to this dumb idea. You can't force a parent to care.

It bothers me that every time we have a problem, we pass a law, usually without thinking about the collateral damage. These folks are actually a product of the policies of the system that they grew up with, the system that institutionalized every aspect of their being. The system is so bent on over ruling the interests of the parents and displacing their authority. From my perspective, the schools generally don't notify parents until it's too late to do much about it. They too often run cover for the kid's keeping the parents out of the loop. Yes I think parents should be totally involved, to the point where most teachers are uncomfortable, no I don't think missing conferences is a criminal offense nor should it be. The Fed has been creating generations of dependents and this is a bi-product of the Nanny State.

Parents of children excelling would take them out of those schools, if government and the NEA weren't blocking the door.

Allot happening here in NYC with Charter Schools in spite of the Teachers Union. The Charter Schools really make a difference for the kids. They do restore hope.

It bothers me that every time we have a problem, we pass a law, usually without thinking about the collateral damage. These folks are actually a product of the policies of the system that they grew up with, the system that institutionalized every aspect of their being. The system is so bent on over ruling the interests of the parents and displacing their authority. From my perspective, the schools generally don't notify parents until it's too late to do much about it. They too often run cover for the kid's keeping the parents out of the loop. Yes I think parents should be totally involved, to the point where most teachers are uncomfortable, no I don't think missing conferences is a criminal offense nor should it be. The Fed has been creating generations of dependents and this is a bi-product of the Nanny State.

Look at how the system is already there where parents have no say and the school continually take more and more rights away from the parent and tell them you have NO say in what happenes to your child.

We just had a discussion about parents not being able to opt out of giving first graders and 5th graders condoms. They are not permitted to know if their child has sex or if the school nurse decides to transport their kid to a clinic to abort a baby. Parental rights have been stripped for years. The school keeps the parent out of the loop on many occasions and then add that a teacher much now supervise brushing a child’s teeth. A lot of these things are not teachers jobs they are a parents job.

Now I am not saying that is the reason for the non-attendance in the article but parents rights are severely diminished in many an area in schools and it is getting worse. When those rights are diminished it will have an affect though.

The prosecutor should be executed for her unamericanism. I realize such concepts are difficult especially in such a degenerate low life city like Detroit but there should be zero tolerance for these people.

Forum List

Back