Worst Job You've Ever Had

why would the lawyer have been competative with her secretary? maybe you were competative with her? not saying you were... but i find things like that don't operate in a vacuum.

like chanel, i've never had a job i hated. i had the world's worst boss very briefly when i first got out of law school. he was nasty, abusive, sexist... i quit when i needed to go to my doctor on an emergency basis and he said 'no', because you won't be here to answer phones when the secretary goes to lunch'.

i told him i couldn't comply with his wishes. i got a new job a few weeks later.

the hardest job i ever had was as a cashier in a supermarket. i had a lot of fun, though... all of us were kids. i think i was 15 when i started working there. wouldn't want to do that kind of work now, though.

She was competitive with everybody. A princess of wealth, though I'm not sure just how smart she was - took her about 5 years to get her JD. She fiercely competed with her sister - sister got engaged and announced she would be married in November, the next work day princess came in sporting an engagement ring AND declaring a June wedding. At her wedding - which was a very expensive affair - all I could see was how miserable her sister and brother looked. It struck me as very odd that her father mentioned in his "toast speech" that princess was a breach birth and a little about her childhood and how she had said to her father "Give me a gift." (Her college and law school education.) And now she had said "Give me another gift." (Her wedding.) Even her mother said she had been a headstrong, difficult child. The sister DID manage to produce the first grandchild - followed very quickly when princess gave birth to the second grandchild.

It was rumored she had a thing for our supervising partner. Nice guy - good looking - wealthy - but a bit of a womanizer - and certainly didn't have a thing for her. That's for damned sure. She had a temper and disposition from hell, nobody on staff liked her because her reputation preceded her, she made serious errors in her work product and if it was corrected or brought to her attention she blew up, turned purple and took it as a personal offense. The last time she did that to me I said, "Fuck it - that's the last time I'm going to make her look good to the clients." And I let her do her own thing and shook my head at file copies of what she had sent out - full of errors. Not my problem.

The secretaries generally got birthday cakes for their bosses - just because they wanted to - not because they had to. The last year I worked with her I just happened to have a lot coming out of my paycheck and couldn't afford to do the cake thing and just wished her a happy birthday. Next day, my supervising partner came tearing up to my desk and asked me if I knew it was her birthday - seems her HUSBAND called the partner to whine about her not getting a birthday cake and how upset and hurt she was that nobody remembered her birthday - including her parents. He asked me to get a cake and he would pay for it. Hell flew in me - I told him I'd get the cake and pay for it. I did, sent out an email to everybody I could think of to come to my desk to celebrate. She put on a good show - but after it was over with and everybody went back to their desks she jumped all in my shit about how much I had embarrassed her by not even being at her party. I told her I was there - standing outside my desk area so that if I got upset I could run down the hall without anyone seeing me cry.

When I got back from the hospital I finally got the transfer I had been begging for for months. She was removed from the department and placed in an office next to the CEO of the firm - and I was put in isolation on another floor and ordered not to say anything about the incident "because we can't say anything that might hurt an attorney's feelings." Bull shit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back